Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i am being called by a debt collector

this fact confuses me because i have never missed a payment on any debt in my entire life, immediately set any bills or other utilities i have to autopay, and my only existing debt currently is a car payment and one credit card balance. because of this, i found the idea of being called by a debt collector so confusing that when they said they were a debt collector i just hung up as i assumed it was a scammer. i googled afterward and it seems this place actually exists.

how do i handle this if they call again? i've been googling around and saw some of the law around it but i'm not really sure how to handle the first phone call to get to the point where i get them to validate the debt, because, again, i can't even imagine what the debt could possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Midjack posted:

It may not be yours, I get a ton of collection letters for some shitfucker who gave my address out for a while.

they did use my name

Ham Equity posted:

If you haven't done it lately, run your credit reports from https://www.annualcreditreport.com. Do not use a different site, run it from there, make sure you're not seeing anything that shouldn't be there.

checked here after i got the call, everything is as expected - no collections, weird inquiries, or unexpected accounts out of the ordinary.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i have received no more calls from the supposed debt collector after answering and hanging up so i'm suspecting it was just a scam/fishing expedition and i'll keep an eye on my credit report and see if i get anything in the mail.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Southern Cassowary posted:

i have received no more calls from the supposed debt collector after answering and hanging up so i'm suspecting it was just a scam/fishing expedition and i'll keep an eye on my credit report and see if i get anything in the mail.

alright got an update on this as they started texting me and the text includes searchable info

the debtor is my old ISP in an apartment i lived in from 2018 to 2020. when covid hit and work went to remote i went to a place in a more rural area pretty quickly but i kept my apartment for a few months before the least ended. i dealt with the landlord's property manager as my point of contact for all of that stuff and he handled all the transition poo poo on his end remotely, but apparently he never sent the router back to the isp. internet was provided in the building by the condo association but each unit had its own router, so like, i never paid a dime and had an account as a technicality. it is insanely weird that i never got an email, phone call, or mail from the isp about this as it was happening.

i called the isp and they're mentioning late payments from 2022 wrt the router and i said "no, i haven't lived in this place since 2020" and they're launching an investigation into the status of the missing router. i'm fully expecting them to come back and say router's gone, tough poo poo. the isp also gave me the contact info for the debt collector who's been contacting me and it matches the agency that's been calling me. it's a very even number (250$) so i believe it's just the lost router fee. where do i go from here? paying 250 bucks isn't the end of the world but i want to handle this in the way that screws me the least.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 10, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

new update: isp has cleared the charge after the investigation. lmfao, naturally.

i got an email from them saying the charge has been cleared, but now how do I handle the debt collectors?