Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I have a debt from a company that recently went over the seven year statue earlier this year. Part of the reason I have never paid it was because the amount they want has changed over the years, and when you really get down to it, some of it was outrageous, like $2000 for a cable box I never ordered. It has gone through several agency's and I have had credit for a couple of years while my score is decent but not great (670) I still feel that it's probably is a key reason why I can't seem to raise my score much higher.

So far for the past year or two it's been with one agency that occasionally sends me mail every six months asking for payment, usually around $600 bucks. Since this year was year 7 I expected it to pick up but I finally got one a few months from year 8 where they are willing to settle for $100. I know not to just send them the money as it will just make it show up on my credit again, but I also don't want to do anything to get them to really try to get their money. How do I go about saying I'll give them the hundred if they agree to remove it off my credit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I've had an outstanding debt from 2001 that's been bounced from debt collector to debt collector, and as time has gone on, the amount that I owe have fluctuated, from around $2000 to currently just under $1200. The current collector basically sends a letter every quarter requesting that I pay about $700 of it, but this time they sent a letter only requesting $100. Sounds like a good deal, but I really doubt it.

Since 2001, I've built credit, paid my bills, and while my score is down a little because of my debt load (still pay everything on time) I rather not tack on any settlement to tank it even further, especially since the 01 debt has fallen off my reports years ago. Should I give them the $100 to end this once and for all or just keep ignoring them?