Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarrr
Oct 1, 2001

CubsWoo posted:

Most debt collection lawyers are on the low end of the totem pole of their firm. As such, they aren't very good at thinking on their feet or dealing with challenges from educated pro se defendants.

quote:

Most of these lawyers do not expect and cannot handle being challenged on these suits. They want to show up, point to the spot where you aren't, and collect the full judgment without hassle. If you are being sued DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN.
As a lawyer who does a small amount of debt collection, this is all pretty much untrue where I practice. Perhaps things are different where you live, but I'm frequently challenged on judgment recovery suits (also frequently they do go unchallenged) and am absolutely fine with that happening. The more work a lawyer does on a file, the more he gets to bill. No skin off my back if you want to fight it.

Also your comment about relative skill is just bullshit. You may have hit some bad lawyers, but it's by no means a universal truth. Around here, the reality is that you'll end up against junior members of a firm, which may or may not mean anything. In fact, its likely they will be more prepared and do more to satisfy the client than a senior guy who has a lot more important stuff to think about.

I agree with the general thrust of this thread, that if you are in bad financial shape it is difficult for a creditor to do anything meaningful to collect. That said, 98% of people will face significant problems if they default as they have something to lose. I regularly garnish wages, enforce against assets, register/execute against property, etc. In my view it's only those people with nothing but big unsecured debt (and a lack of concern for their own credit rating/"moral obligation") and nothing to show for it that should be doing anything recommended in this thread. Again, that's based on where I practice.

All this is to say that you should really consult with your own lawyer and see how things are where you live before taking such steps.

Zarrr fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU