Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I have a cell phone ETF collection from over 2 years ago. I got a letter from the law office trying to collect on it, however I never ended up doing anything about it (this was in June/July). It never showed up on a 3 credit reports. In October it finally showed up and my credit score dropped 92 points. I kind of sat on it for a few months and now it's not on 2 of my reports, but still on TU.

What are the chances that it will come back? I haven't received any communications from them since that one letter asking for payment (it looked like a credit card bill, with a little payment voucher). I don't know what I did with it either, I've moved a few times since then. Should I just call them and do a PFD?

Edit: I also have a Comcast collection from 2005 (maybe 2004) that's sitting on my credit reports as well. Earlier this year I tried to dispute it via the CRAs but the collector came back saying that it was mine. There is no info about the collector (no address, no phone number, only an abbreviated name) on my report and no one from there has ever contacted me about this debt. It's for $150. What do I do about this one? Wait it out?

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

jassi007 posted:

One other odd question, one of her credit cards is with Walmart, who she works for. My sister thinks she could have a problem if she stopped paying that one. Any idea? Will Walmart come after her through her wages since she is an employee?

I seriously doubt it...Walmart isn't the bank that the card is through. I think their stuff is through GEMB.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
What's the best way to go about getting a charge-off removed from my credit report? It's from the City of San Diego and it's from parking tickets. I live in Georgia now. I was thinking of sending them a letter and doing a pay for deletion. Anybody ever dealt with a city before? It's only on my Experian report but since it's a charge off and not a collection I think it's hurting my score more.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

TWiNKiE posted:

I know cities are doing interesting things with tolls and parking, but a charge-off is a tax thing. Unless the city extended credit to you and wrote it off of their taxes as uncollectible, it isn't a charge-off.

So, you could send a letter to Experian saying it's reporting wrong. You could make a combo out of the dispute and say that it's reporting wrong, and you want everything else verified, because you think the line itself is bad.

Yeah it's reporting that the credit limit was $90, and that $138 is past due. A while ago, I tried disputing the debt as "not mine" (which I admit was dumb) with Experian but of course the city came back and verified it as mine. That's why I was thinking of doing a pay for deletion.

edit: Coincidentally the mailing address for the city contains "Suite 666" which I feel is pretty appropriate for the meter readers there.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 12, 2010

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

TheWevel posted:

What's the best way to go about getting a charge-off removed from my credit report? It's from the City of San Diego and it's from parking tickets. I live in Georgia now. I was thinking of sending them a letter and doing a pay for deletion. Anybody ever dealt with a city before? It's only on my Experian report but since it's a charge off and not a collection I think it's hurting my score more.

Alright an update on this:

I sent the City of San Diego a "pay for deletion" letter and they responded. They're saying that I owe more than what's on my credit report, and that they will determine according to their guidelines whether or not they will delete it. They added that I should pay immediately to settle the issue but they never said they would actually delete it.

I'm thinking about writing them another letter that says "I will not pay this until I get written confirmation that you will delete it." Short and to the point, right?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Iron Squid posted:

I called the collection agency this afternoon. A company called Debt Recovery Solutions located in Westbury, NY. I told them I would be happy to send them the $75 in exchange for them removing it from the credit report.

The person I spoke with said they couldn't do that. The only thing that they could do is mark the debt as paid-in-full. Will this do anything to improve my credit score, and will it cause the now paid-in-full debt to stay on my credit report for *another* seven years?

Ugh I'm going to be so furious if I cannot qualify for a Sallie Mae loan because of an ancient cell phone bill. :|

Never do anything over the phone, always do it Certified Mail with a Read Receipt. Did you pay them over the phone?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I will probably be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think the best thing to do would be to file a police report for "stolen identity" first. The CRAs will be a lot more willing to change things if you have something from the police.

edit: I know it's not technically stolen identity, but...since you worked with guy, you know he's douchebag, and he has your same name, I am more than willing to be he took advantage of that.

edit: Pull all 3 of your reports from http://annualcreditreport.com . Since there's a matter of possible fraud taking place here you'll be able to get your reports free after the first one.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 23, 2010

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

CubsWoo posted:

Mostly those late-night debt commercials piss me off - never give your money to them. Even if they do help, they're priced to an insane degree (guess why they want you to have $10k+ in debt? So that $2000+ they want to fix it sounds reasonable) and don't often do a very good job. What they do for thousands I can probably do better for $50-200, so why not?

Also most of them will just tell you "hey don't pay your bills!" so it gets written off by the OC, then the company goes in and offers a settlement on your behalf. These are all steps you can do yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
That's BS. Also don't deal with a collector over the phone, it's pointless; do everything in writing. Send them a letter via certified mail with a read receipt asking for verification of the debt. Also request that any further communication regarding the debt should be done via the US postal service.

There are form letters all over the Internet for this very thing so you just have to find the collector's address and mail it to them.