Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point
Got a letter in the mail from Credit Collection Services collecting ~$280 on behalf of Allstate. The debt is very recent, letter dated a week ago, received it yesterday. I switched from Allstate to GEICO in January, but I forgot to cancel the policy with Allstate. It's cancelled now for nonpayment and if I log into my Allstate account it states a balance due with the exact amount listed in the collection letter. I haven't seen any dings on 1 of 3 credit reports (can't get the other 2 reports online, have to call for some reason).

Is there any chance I can just pay the debt at ccspayment.com and the whole ordeal would be over with and nothing ever gets reported? I don't see any negative remarks, if this is my chance to pay before it gets reported, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'd just chalk it up as idiot tax. Maybe I'd finally get my act together and be more organized.

Or has the damage already been done, it's been reported, the negative remarks are showing up soon. And the play now is to get everything in writing along the way because I'll need ammo to get the negative remark removed, whether it's because of their negligence or because I negotiated a 'pay for delete'? On that note, is 'pay for delete' still a thing in 2023? I've read elsewhere that it has fallen out of favor because it's frowned upon to "rewrite history" by making previously legitimate dings go away. If it's not a thing anymore, and worst-case scenario, all i's are dotted and t's are crossed, what are my options for getting the ding removed? Although I guess it should still be a thing, otherwise what's my incentive to pay if it's not going to remove the ding, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU