Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure Renraku
Oct 6, 2003
This is similar to what people are doing to banks that have sold their mortgages to banks who have sold the mortgages again to banks who have sold the mortgages yet again. Sometimes it takes months or even years for the paperwork to trickle down, and unless the bank can prove that you owe money on the house, it's yours. If no one can find the paperwork to show that you owe money on the house, it's yours.

The best idea here is to ask them to provide proof within 30 days or to GTFO. I'm not sure if 30 days is all they have from when you demand it, but it'll get them off of your back for a while.

Also, another big thing, is credit card companies saying that your rates are going up all of a sudden. You opt out and they tell you they want payment within 30 days and the account is frozen at the previous interest rate. Sorry, it doesn't work like that, you want to talk to me in court? Where such contracts are often proven unconscionable? Good luck!

'Unconscionable' is a word we're going to hear a lot of in the coming decades. Basically, a contract is supposed to be relatively equal. Currently contracts go like this, "I'm going to provide you with x service, at far above a reasonable price, I have all the power and can cancel at any time, you waive all rights and if you cancel you'll pay through the nose." Such contracts are unconscionable, meaning, a reasonable person would in no way ever agree to this unless they had no other options and were backed into a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU