Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Also, you could probably send them a letter saying that the statute of limitations has run out, and any further attempts to collect the debt are a violation of federal law. Then, if they continue to collect the debt in any way, send them a friendly intent to sue letter and invite them to settle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

When you get a few months delinquent, they start sending you offers to settle. My experience is that they'll offer paying 30-50% of the principal to settle, but you could try counter-offering less.

I'm in a similar situation, I make barely enough money to cover expenses, and I haven't paid on my cards in about nine months. They're starting to get charged off, and collection agencies are sending me Dunning letters. I'm being a good boy and sending my verification requests. So far one company has failed to respond within 30 days. Go ahead and try to collect on me, NCO Financial.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sometimes the green card comes back with a stamp on it similar to what letters get over their stamp when they're delivered, which would have the date on it. Maybe you missed that?

For NCO, I'd send it to the street address.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I'm only guessing, but I have to assume it's the statute of limitations for the state referenced in the card member agreement. Which, apparently, isn't always the state you lived in when you signed it. You remembered to keep all that crap they mailed with your first card, right?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I got a letter from Williams and Fudge about a student loan I haven't made a payment on in a little over a year. The total amount is about $5500, but the only amount on the letter is what's past due, $900. Basically it says that if I don't pay them, they will decide if they want to sue me. It's not a Dunning letter per se, since it's regarding a student loan, so should I still send them a gently caress-off letter, or just let it go and hope they realize that I don't have enough income for them to garnish, or any assets to take away. (Income <$13,000/yr, no car/house/anything of significant value.)

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Yes, unless you can demonstrate that it is an undue hardship to have to repay it, which basically means permanent disability preventing you from working again, ever.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

NancyPants posted:

Not CapOne, it's our gal Sal.

How many days delinquent are you with Sallie Mae? I'm curious because I'm about 550 days delinquent on my loan, and they call me like clockwork at 8pm every night, but so far no CA or lawsuit or anything.

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 31, 2011

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Femur posted:

I just got a letter from the lawyer for Citibank. They won a summary judgement from me like a years ago, that I didn't even know about until I checked my credit a few weeks ago. I've been trying to find out what legal remedies I can pursue.

Well the letter offices me a settle of less than what they won, and I am willing to pay the lump sum offered. My question is, what should I request from them in order so this summary judgement is no longer on my credit report, or at the least minimized? Is it the same request as to creditors, ie to remove the item from the credit agencies? What kind of protection will I need so that my payment is not "lost"

If I weren't in a charitable mood, I'd tell you to just read the thread, since this has been covered many times over.

Tell them that you want to "pay for delete" (PFD) and make sure you have their agreement signed, in writing. Pay with a cashier's check. Mail everything certified mail with return receipt.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

If there was a judgement, you probably can't get that off your record. But the CA is probably also reporting, so he would still want a PFD from them, and a letter saying such and that the account is paid in full, judgement fulfilled, whatever the legalese is. A cursory Google search should turn up a nice form letter.

With that letter in hand, just wait for some other jackass CA to get the spreadsheet with his name on it and try to collect it, hit them with that letter, and wait for them to violate/sue, then countersue and profit.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

BusinessWallet posted:

Anyone? :(

Capital One has a reputation for toeing the hardest line on that sort of thing, so I wouldn't count on it. OCs tend to not do pay-for-deletes. If it's >7 yrs then they have to stop reporting it, if it's been longer than that you can send them a friendly letter reminding them.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Robawesome, send DV letter CMRR, it can be a standard off-the-shelf template, since you're not trying to say the debt isn't yours yet per se, just that they need to validate it. Do make sure that your current mailing address is on the letter, so they can't keep sending mail to a defunct address unbeknownst to you and then go all :iiam: that you didn't get anything and he sues you. Then you wait. If they try anything else without validating, then they are in trouble. If they validate, it should be easy to refute. Be ready to prove that you moved out of the apartment by a certain date. Did you give the landlord written notice? Do you have a copy of that? The next best thing is probably a rental agreement for your new place. Do you have the rental agreement from your old place, too? Might want to find that, too, just to check the fine print.

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 24, 2011

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

ItheWelp87 posted:

What should be my next step?

Stop talking to them on the phone. Nothing good can come of it. Mail your dunning response CMRR, and mention that you'd like all future correspondence done in writing.

If they leave you a threatening voicemail, save it as evidence. If they threaten you in a letter, save it as evidence. If you are able to record your phone calls, you can answer the phone and see what they say (how they violate), but don't commit to anything or give them any information.

If you manage to collect some violations, you can wait for them to try to sue you and counter-sue, then tell them you're willing to settle for a deletion of the debt or something. Or if they really flagrantly violate the FDCPA, then sue their asses and collect some cool cash.

If they verify the debt and don't violate, then they can and may very well sue you. This, based on reading this thread and many others on the tubes, seems incredibly unlikely unless it's the OC.

Much more likely is they can't verify the debt. If they don't violate, then you just have to wait for it to go away. You could offer them a PFD for <50% of the debt or whatever, and see if you can negotiate that. Again, only in writing.

Good luck, don't be scared, fear is their weapon. We are on your side, with moral support and questionable legal advice.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Robawesome posted:

What now?

Do you have the original rental agreement? With your monthly rent stated on it? Failing that, do you have bank statements that show you paying a specific amount every month to him? Did you give him a written notice that you were moving out?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

If all he has is a rental application, and no contract, I'm not sure what he can do. However, it does sound like you do owe him rent for two months. Not sure what your best move is here, I guess I'd just wait and see what happens.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

but I honestly think they're breaking a few laws here.

Quite possibly, particularly sending that letter. It's a big no-no to say "I'm probably gonna sue you" even if they do. Sit back and let them rack up violations. Maybe come up with a way to record phone calls if they are bothering you that way. When they have done enough @ $1000 per violation to exceed the amount you owe, counter sue them and offer to settle for a delete.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

cr0y posted:

Are there any clauses I can add to a DV letter that might increase my chances of the collector loving up and having to drop the debt? I have heard adding things like "this must be completed within X days, etc". Debt in question is about $700.

I don't think you can time-bar their response, they can do it indefinitely (within the statute of limitations), but ANY attempt by them to collect without validation is a violation. So it's safe the assume that if they CAN validate they will do it sooner rather than later, but you're never truly safe until the SOL runs out.

My experience has been that I will get the Dunning letter and a smattering of phone calls, send a DV letter, and never hear from them again.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

I was made aware of a hit on my credit report. I don't have an actual copy of the report myself, but I was given the name and phone number for the place. I've called them and their line is disconnected and I'm not able to find any other contact information. I assume they've closed up shop and are no longer in business. How do I go about getting this off my credit report? Should I get a copy of my report myself and contact the original creditor, as I have no idea who the original creditor is as of now. What is the recommended source for getting my credit report if I need to make that step?

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre21.shtm

1) Get your credit report (free annual credit report from each CRA)
2) Send the CRA(s) reporting the erroneous entry each a letter telling them that you dispute the entry. Sample letters are a Google search away.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

kdc67 posted:

Can I tell them to gently caress off now?

Basically, yes. Did you request all communication be done in writing, not telephone? That should stop the calls, and I'm pretty sure any calls after this letter are a violation of the FDCPA. They are highly unlikely to sue you over $300, and depending on what state you live in, you should be drat close to the SOL on that anyway. Unless you want it off your credit report, in which case dispute it with the CRA and see what they do about it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

kdc67 posted:

I did in the initial letter. This company and the one that wants the $644 actually haven't called me in over a year. I'm not worried about them suing me. The SOL in my state is 7 years, so this stuff wouldn't be removed until 2014. I'd rather have it off in case I need a new car or whatever. I did dispute with the CRAs. I initially just started this as a bit of a giggle to see if I could get anything removed. After getting the $15k off with really no effort, it's worth it to put even a little effort into getting the rest off.

Send a letter to the CRA(s) disputing the entry for every conceivable reason. Not my debt, not licensed to collect in my state, whatever. Search around on Google for examples of letters that have a laundry list of things, and that should do the trick of getting it off.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I suggest you reread the first few pages of this thread since your question literally gets asked twice every page at least.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

a rowdy mullet posted:

I've read all 44 pages of this thread at least twice, but couldn't find the answer I was looking for so here goes:

I made the typical college student mistakes, got a couple credit cards, stopped paying on both in late 2009, etc. One is settled as "paid" as of late 2010, there's no changing that so I just have to wait for it to fall off. The second card has been sent to collections.

I am now dealing with Midland Credit Management to try and get them to agree to a pay-for-delete, since their new collections account is reporting to the credit bureaus as being late every month it is seriously dragging down my score. They claim that I owe $2100, I sent a PFD offer, certified mail return receipt for $1000 on Feb. 25. Got the green card this monday so the clock is ticking.

I am hoping to by a used car ASAP since mine is poo poo and I now have a good, steady job. However, my credit score is stuck at 592 because this collections account keeps reporting as "past due" every month. I know the original defaulted card is not going to go away for 5 years but I at least want this collections account wiped off. I called the collections agency and asked only if they recived my letter, they gave me a bunch of lies and bullshit so I hung up. Should I wait longer to hear back for my PFD proposal or should I just keep sending them until I get a response? Calling them is a bad idea, I know, but I just want a loving response so I can get this over with. I've got $5K in the bank so I can pay more if the first offer was too much of a lowball one, but they bought my debt for pennies on the dollar so gently caress them.

TL;DR - want to buy car ASAP, need to get PFD ASAP to do this, what now :confused:

The process of removing negative trade lines from your credit reports is measured in months, so I'm not sure how quickly you can expect this to happen. The CA basically have 30 days to respond to your validation request, then you can start sending them letters informing that continued reporting without validation is a violation, and dispute with the CRAs to try getting it off through their end.

If they're smart, they can check and see that your credit report has been accessed by some auto loan people and then they know they have you. You can try calling them again, and see if you can't get somebody on the phone that will agree to a PFD and have them MAIL YOU A LETTER agreeing to that, and then pay it with a cashier's check. You may have to settle instead, and it'll be on there as Paid or whatever. Midland is one of the shittier CAs, I believe. You may not have a lot of luck trying to be nice and settle/PFD. They are likelier to not be able to verify and you can get it off your credit report without spending any money, but that will take you time.

That being said, if you have $5000 in the bank, why don't you just mosey over to AI and ask them to tell you what car you should buy, one for which you can afford to simply pay cash?

Big Taint fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 15, 2012

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

a rowdy mullet posted:

Or would they just sell the remainder to another collection agency and gently caress me over? I've spoken to a couple reps there and they're just bullshitting me and saying they don't do PFD's :(

Based on this CA's reputation and your experience with them, you have a challenge ahead of you. Officially, PFDs aren't allowed by the CRAs, so perhaps you can word it a little differently. Something along the lines of, "I don't think this debt is really mine but I'll pay you x dollars to make it go away." They can't really agree to an outright PFD, but if they aren't able to validate the debt (which is highly likely) then they can't report it legally anyway, and they still get their money.

You could also probably get the same outcome without spending any money, and spending the money won't necessarily make this process go any faster, so my professional recommendation as a certified internet forum poster is to DV them, wait for them to not respond/respond with a bullshit form letter, and then dispute with the CRAs. If the CRAs verify the debt after the CA fails to, go nutcase and tell the CRA that continued reporting is a violation, etc.

After I stopped paying my credit cards a couple years ago, and reading a lot about debt collection since then, it seems highly arbitrary whether you will end up with all the negative tradelines removed from your credit report or not. Some people are able to get all of it removed, even poo poo from OCs. Others get sued. I had well over $20k in credit card debt with three OCs that I stopped paying, and I got a lot of phone calls there for a while. Once the OCs got tired of me, I was getting Dunning letters every month. I was at USPS a lot filling out green cards. I think every CA in the state had my account at least once. After the first year, the Dunning letters slowed to a crawl, and now it's been months since anybody has bothered me about it. I haven't tried disputing anything with the CRAs, but I'm curious how many negatives I could get removed, even if they're legitimate? I might have a slight advantage in that I'm Big Taint the Third, could I convince the CRA that all those delinquent accounts belong to a different Big Taint, not me?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Oppenheimer posted:

Is it okay for a debt collection agency to charge interest on a debt, and then use our payments to pay for the interest first, rather than the principal? That means we will never be able to pay it off, right?

Isn't that how every loan works?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I'd start with sending DV letters to all of the negative accounts on your credit report. Make sure you state clearly that you don't believe the debt is yours, and are requesting validation or removal from your credit report. Give them 30 days, and see what they do. If they validate and it's legit, then start working with them (in writing) about a possible settlement. If they are seriously that old, you should be paying <50% of the original debt, disregarding their bullshit fees and interest. If they don't satisfactorily validate, then send them another letter telling them that continued reporting or collection attempts is a violation of the FDCPA and you would have the right to sue them. Also dispute them with the CRAs, try to get them off that way.

Lastly, try to take it easy, many CAs are purposely trying to exploit you with fear and shame, you need to understand that you're not a bad person because you couldn't repay a debt. They are fuckers, don't let them get to you.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

FWIW, I have about the same amount of unsecured debt as you, split evenly between three creditors, and it's been about fours years with no lawsuits. I did change my cell phone number, which stopped the calls, and I've been on top of responding to the dunning letters I get from the (increasingly infrequent) new DCs trying to shake money out of me. I think you're imagining that being sued is more imminent / worse than it is. Even if they sue you and win a judgement, you can still kill it with bankruptcy later. How long has it been since you last made a payment towards this debt? Every day that passes reduces the likelihood that you'll get sued, and increases the likelihood that the DC that does sue you won't have adequate proof that you owe, and it'll get dismissed.

RE: the car, if it were me I'd throw that in the bankruptcy at the top of the drat list. It's probably your biggest debt, depending on how long you've owned it, which can't be that long if it's a mileage-sensitive lease combined with money you still owed on your old car. You can always get another car, post in AI and have them tell you to buy a Miata / old Volvo.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

For what it's worth, I had a lot of luck disputing old accounts with credit bureaus. Even old OC stuff was removed. All were past statute and nearing expiration anyway.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Did you check all three bureaus? If it's not on any of your credit reports, gently caress 'em. Block the number on your phone, or start answering it and practice your Liam Neeson "I have a very particular set of skills" speech.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Keep hope alive, the odds they have enough of a paper trail to get a judgement if you show up to contest is pretty low.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Stop calling anyone. Send a Dunning letter with delivery confirmation to the collection agency and dispute it with the CRA.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

FWIW after defaulting on some cards, having them written off and OCs selling the debt, and going through many collectors - since they have fallen off my reports every one of those companies has given me a new card. Except AmEx. Once a year I apply for one, and they send me a letter saying I can have a new card if I pay them half what I walked away from.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Zarin posted:

I mean, me personally? Sure, I can be petty and vindictive.

Kinda surprised that a business that sees this poo poo every day would be though lol

I can't say it doesn't make SENSE; I'm just surprised they're going through the effort of tracking that a decade+ out.

They are notorious for doing their own collections rather than selling the debt off, and when I sent them a Dunning letter on a lark they sent me a fat envelope with my original signed application and every statement they ever sent me. I was impressed. AmEx doesn’t gently caress around.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Dunning letter is the standard response to any new collector. You’re formally asking them to show that the debt is owed by you. You can also ask that they only communicate via mail. Since it sounds like some of these debts are still with the OC a Dunning letter is sort of pointless.

I never tried to negotiate any settlements or pay-for-deletes so I don’t have any advice for that. Other people in the thread have had degrees of success.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

marshalljim posted:

A dunning letter is sent by a creditor to encourage a debtor to pay up. You're talking about a debt verification letter.

You’re right, I should be saying dunning response.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Keep trying until you get somebody else who has a clue/ask for a supervisor? You might also try googling and see if anyone has written about experiences negotiating settlements with that bank, they all seem to do things a little differently.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Remember to only communicate in writing or record your phone calls (definitely disclose that you’re recording any calls). It’s easy to get somebody on the phone to agree to something and then ghost when it’s time to actually do it, and any agreement you make to pay on a loan re-ages it and resets the statute of limitations.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You could send them a ‘new phone who dis?’ letter or just ignore it. I would just ignore it.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

They can’t try to collect without responding but they have unlimited time to respond. They could also sell it to somebody else.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

GordonComstock posted:

In my case, they’ve never verified with me. They called once, left no voicemail, I googled the number and saw it was a collection agency and connected it to an outstanding bill at my previous apartment. Eventually each credit bureau listed it, tanking my credit score. I sent a debt validation letter, they called and left a voicemail after they received the letter. Never once sent me a letter, or responded by mail to my validation letter.

It has become time for you to contact an attorney.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

There’s really no downside to disputing it with the CRA, but send a dunning response to the company first. Has she ever received any communication from the collectors? Their contact info should be on a credit report IIRC. Send them the standard dunning response and then dispute with CRA after 30 days. If you get no response but they keep reporting to the CRA that’s an FDCPA violation as I understand it. Best case is you never hear anything and the dispute removes it from the report. You will need to keep an eye out for it being resold and popping back up for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

It sounds like the debt went to collections, and they are the ones suing you? You have no prior dealings with the collections company? The burden is on them that you owe money, you don’t need to lie just claim ignorance. Have you sent them a dunning letter yet?