Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
So I got a letter in the mail from Insurex Inc. It states the following:

quote:

RE: GEICO
CLAIM #: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
INSUREX #: ######
Original Creditor: Geico
Loss Date 10/15/09
Current Balance: $237.50

An Insurance Subrogation claim has been referred to us by our client named above. Our Client is exercising its right as an insurer to pursue a liable party for losses paid to their insured.

Our records indicate that you were an uninsured motorist at the time of the accident, therefore the total balance is your obligation. In order to avoid further pursuit of this claim, we request that you remit the balance in full.

If you had insurance coverage at the time of the accident, please complete the attached coupon and return this letter to the address above or call our office at 1-800-467-8745 to discuss this matter in detail.

Sincerely,

INSUREX, INC

Then at the bottom theres the spiel about it being from a debt collector, an attempt to collect a debt, and how to dispute.

Now, I was uninsured at that date, however, I did not get into an accident on that date.

In fact, I have never, ever, been in an accident or anything resembling an accident or anything that might require a filing.

Is this BS? The Statement date is December 18, 2009. As of a few days ago nothing new is on my credit report. I'm worried since I was in fact uninsured for a little bit, but should I just send in a dispute letter and go from there?

tuckfard fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
So I got delivered a court summons this morning. Its for a debt that I knew existed but rather than deal with the fact that I couldn't pay it, I stupidly just ignored it until I'd be able to pay it. Now I got a scary letter saying me or my attorney need to file a written answer with the Clerk by 10am on the Monday following 10 days after today, or risk default judgment.

The amount being asked for is $2743.73 on a card that's about 6 years old. I'm fairly sure that amount is close to accurate. They're also asking for $1360.61 in "post charge-off accrued interest" which is new to me because the account has been closed forever and this has been in collections for a while. Says its continuing to accrue interest at 23.9%. They're also asking for court fees "of at least $1025.94 or as otherwise awarded by the Court."

So where do I go from here? I never thought it would come to this, but I guess this is what I get for not dealing with this crap.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

IceWolfe24 posted:

What state are you in? Depending on the state, 6 years could be past the legal Statute of Limitations.

Texas, which I'm pretty sure is 7.

Well this says 4: http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/sol-by-state.html#44

I'm pretty positive I haven't made any sort of payment on this in at least 4 or 5 years. How would I go about confirming/proving this?

tuckfard fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 7, 2010

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

CubsWoo posted:

First thing: Get started on an answer. Check one of the debt-focused forums for advice (I'll c/p some of it later) but no matter what make sure you file an answer.

Second: Check your financial records and see if you've made a payment in the last 4 years. If you haven't, and you live in Texas, congrats you win - the debt is now time-barred. Include that in your answer. In many small claims cases the judge will force the creditor to prove the debt isn't time-barred, not the other way around.

You can move for a countersuit if it is time-barred but let's get rid of this suit first. What else was included with the summons? An affidavit? Records of the card? Anything?

Included is the summons, the "Plaintiff's Original Petition and Request for Admissions" which is about 5 pages, and a yellow card with contact information of the attorney saying "you can still settle this matter and avoid going to court!" The company is CACH, LLC if that matters.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
When I closed my Sprint account last fall, I assumed everything was paid off. A month or so ago I started getting multiple calls a day from IC System Inc regarding this bill. I asked for a verification and they sent one. I also logged into my old Sprint account and I had an amount due for the same amount this agency is asking for. While I don't doubt that I owe the money now, with which should I make the payment?

edit: talked with sprint, its out of their hands. Question answered!

tuckfard fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 2, 2012