Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat
I've got a very interesting issue.

In 2005, I incurred an unpaid tuition bill for Summer classes totaling $5,000. A few months after, it went to collection. I told them to go after my father for the money, because he had told me that he had paid it, his name was on the Bursar tuition forms and so on. I didn't hear from them again.

In late 2007, I was unable to pay a $20,000 tuition bill to a private university (my dad - surprise - reneged on paying a week before the semester began). The school advised me to take out a private loan. I applied and was approved, but backed out of it at the last moment because I knew I was unlikely to be capable of paying it for many years and knew that finishing the rest of my undergraduate education on borrowed money at one of the most expensive private university in the country would be very foolish.

I received collection notices for the tuition in Summer 2008 and promptly ignored them.

Fast-forward to Summer 2009. I notice a letter addressed to me while helping my dad (whom I hadn't spoken to in years) arrange his affairs shortly before his eviction. I find a court summons for the $5,000 bill with my name on it, although about a month past. I let that slip for a while too, as I've been trying to get my other poo poo together (booze, drugs, e/n).

I just ordered my credit report for the first time in response to the cool, down-to-earth advice on this thread regarding lawsuits. I assumed that credit repair would be a waste of time for me until I had enough money saved up to start offering credible settlements to all my major creditors.

The past-due tuition accounts don't appear on my credit report at all. Neither do the collections. All I see are my pathetic, maxed-out baby credit cards and the collection attempts for them along with a few of my dad's maxed-out accounts that shouldn't be on my report that I just disputed.

It looks like I wrecked my credit by allowing my baby credit cards to default thinking it wouldn't matter in the long run, because the big collectors never bothered to report what they were doing. Let this be a lesson to you all! Get a free credit report! It takes thirty seconds! I procrastinated on it for years and now I have bankruptcy-level credit for around $1500 in borrowed money just because I assumed I was already doomed.

I don't get it. Am I still liable for those big debts even though they don't appear anywhere on my credit report? Did the collectors drop me and go after my dad instead (not likely, as my name was on the lawsuit notice that I read)?

If they are still after me but not on my credit report, can I somehow screw them? Can they still screw me? I'm guessing I could start by calling the universities that sold the tuition bills and find out who they sold them to. I tossed out their collection notices ages ago.

*edit*

I just did a little more googling on the issue. It looks like it's possible that they reported to the other two credit agencies but not Experian. They might have also just not reported at all - although it seems a little silly that they wouldn't after so long. It'll probably be a good idea to track down those debts and see what I can do. Bankruptcy seems like a pain in the rear end, and I'd rather avoid it.

*more update*

Sorry, I should have done a bit more research before posting. Weirdly, my Transunion report thinks my birthday is the same as my dad's - and that big 20k collection debt is on the Transunion report. D'OH! The 5k debt I've been sued for is not on any of the three credit reports, though.

3 Stacked Midgets fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

CubsWoo posted:

Keep an eye on your reports and see if someone claims that debt. If nobody has claimed the debt and it's not reporting, it's probably best to ignore it until someone tries to claim it and collect/the statute runs out. It also may have changed names for some reason - any large debts you don't recognize? Dispute them.

Thanks dude. I did some disputing yesterday, despite my total lack of records. First thing I do when I move is get a scanner and stay on top of that.

Equifax also thinks I have my dad's birthday - looks like I have to dispute that somehow as well. The others are otherwise fine.

On Tuesday I'm going to try to track down the missing $5k debt and maybe get in touch with the $20k guys and ask them to prove I owe.