Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Azure Renraku posted:

This is similar to what people are doing to banks that have sold their mortgages to banks who have sold the mortgages again to banks who have sold the mortgages yet again. Sometimes it takes months or even years for the paperwork to trickle down, and unless the bank can prove that you owe money on the house, it's yours. If no one can find the paperwork to show that you owe money on the house, it's yours.

Waaaaaaaay back from page 1, but I'd like to know if anyone has more info on this.
My mortgage was recently sold, and while I doubt anything will come of it, if I can get it dropped via a legal loophole AND gently caress a giant bank in the process it would be like a million Christmases at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Is there any place you can get your actual credit score for free?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
A friend of mine lives in the same town as someone with the same first and last name as him. Apparently this other guy is up to his eyes in debt and my friend gets collections calls all the time from agencies looking for the other guy.

Telling the collectors that they have the right name but the wrong guy hasn't been working too well. What should he do to get them off his back and perhaps collect a nice settlement for his troubles? He's in a two-party state, so could he just answer the calls with "This call may be recorded for my records. Please hang up if you do not agree to this", then start recording to document violations?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I read this thread when it was first posted, but haven't been following it for the last 1000 posts or so. Is the info in the OP still largely correct? My girlfriend has an unpaid medical bill that she is starting to get harassed about from a collection agency and I want to make sure I'm correct on any advice I give her. I doubt it will go the route of noting violations and counter-suing, but I want to be certain that if she pays it she will be getting the most for her money in terms of credit boosts and such.