Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Topper Harley posted:

Thanks, Knightmare. I recall the ticket would have been for a specific amount so when I inquired on the phone how they came up with the total he informed me that they added $49 fee to the original amount. Seems pretty legit. I last checked my credit in December and don't think it was on there at that time. I'll most likely suck it up and pay the amount in total but drat if it doesn't piss me off (I was actually shooting a documentary at the time and had video footage proving that I was not speeding, spoke with the court multiple times about sending the video in as evidence but they stopped returning my calls and a house fire destroyed my notes and the tape 2 years ago).

You literally have nothing to lose by sending a debt verification letter to them. It would take you 5 minutes. If money really is tight for you right now, why wouldn't you make sure the debt is really legally theirs to collect and that they have verification of what you really owe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

LorneReams posted:

I've had them roll over and pay me AND fix the problem that I filed suit for in the first place. One never showed up so I attached a lien on his business for like 2K. That was funny.

Tell us the story.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

spidoman posted:

Should I send a request for debt verification straight to the collection agency, or should I use a middleman? And what is the process of having that middleman?

Just curious as I sent a request for verification about 3 weeks ago straight to the collection agency and haven't gotten any correspondence back. Will they just claim that they never received the request? Or received an empty envelope? I sent it certified.

They have 30 days to respond right? You don't need a middleman, the certified mail will suffice.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

Doctor Claw posted:

...He can't afford to pay it off in one sum, and his line of thinking is that since it was also his grandmother's card, he should not be responsible for all of the debt...

Assuming your boyfriend was 18 years old or older, he should check the language of the contract he co-signed with his grandma when they got the card. However, I can save him some trouble. He is most definitely responsible for the entire debt, and he agreed to this in the paperwork he signed.

As for the PFD, Cubswoo has said you should start at around 10% and work your way up from there. Here's the thing, he's already 4 years into this debt. Another 3 and it will be past the point of collection. Your boyfriend doesn't even have $1000 to his name, so what are the chances that in the next 3 years he is going to really be hurt by this bad mark on his credit?

It's lame, and you should pay the debt you owe, but the reality is sometimes you are better off not paying. That doesn't make it right, but it is how it is sometimes. Do you know for sure that Chase still owns the debt, or have they sold it off?

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

Ryokurin posted:

I've had an outstanding debt from 2001 that's been bounced from debt collector to debt collector, and as time has gone on, the amount that I owe have fluctuated, from around $2000 to currently just under $1200. The current collector basically sends a letter every quarter requesting that I pay about $700 of it, but this time they sent a letter only requesting $100. Sounds like a good deal, but I really doubt it.

Since 2001, I've built credit, paid my bills, and while my score is down a little because of my debt load (still pay everything on time) I rather not tack on any settlement to tank it even further, especially since the 01 debt has fallen off my reports years ago. Should I give them the $100 to end this once and for all or just keep ignoring them?

At this point you would be paying them for what exactly? To stop contacting you by mail? The debt is off your record, it's done with. They can't collect on it anymore. They shouldn't even be trying. There would be no settlement, as they can't even bring it to trial. Paying anything on it will only be bad for you.

Read up, but I am pretty sure they're not allowed to try to collect on a debt this old. Find out what the laws are and then quote that in a letter back to them demanding that they stop contacting you about it. That should be all you need to do.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

HD30 posted:

So how should i proceed if they call me again?

And wow, this post became way longer than what I intended.

Just keep ignoring the calls. You don't have any credit to worry about anyway right? So paying any amount to them would be just to get the phone calls to stop? If you really have no money like you say, then that's just a waste. It doesn't take any effort to ignore phone calls. You could also get your cell phone number changed rather easily.

If at some point you graduate and can work and want to start building credit, then you might need to deal with this. At that point you could offer them a pay for delete, assuming it even shows up on your credit report.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

Charleston Jew posted:

I guess this is a good place to ask this. I looked at my credit report and there's a few accounts there that aren't mine, but I'm pretty sure they belong to my parents. They're had some problems with credit cards in the last few years. Does their stuff show up because we live at the same address? It's also possible they used my SSN... And I checked my credit report in the first place because someone else might be using my SSN, so it could be that too :/

Are you over 18? If so, sounds like someone is fraudulently using your credit. You unfortunately have a tough decision if it is your parents. You'll have to press charges against them most likely before the credit card company will remove any debt attributed to you. You do need to do something about this though to put a stop to it right now.

Ask your parents about it. If they deny it, then let them know you're glad because you're going to report it to the police and dispute the debt with the credit card companies. But you should probably give them a chance to own up to it and fix the situation if you think it could be them.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

I posted in this thread a while ago, about a debt collector. You guys helped me out and I sent off the proper paperwork, to tell them to gently caress off; well months later and they are back with proof that I owe them money. They sent me the hospital bills, what do I need to do now? The bill is from 2008, at a hospital in WA State, and I live in Arizona now. I'm pretty sure because of the age of this bill now, they cannot collect on it, but i'm not 100% on that.

March 4th, 2011 is when I sent the letter to them, demanding proof.

[edit]
Forgot a detail, when I checked my credit report in march, because of this debt, the debt was not on there at all. Is that important? Will it show up if I don't pay?

I should also point out that the bill does not specifically state what I owe. I mean, it is a huge list of things and no where on it does it say "you didn't pay for this, this and this."

What do you mean by huge list of things? Like details about what you got treatment for, or just general line items like "Room - $500, medicine - $200, etc..."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Sorry for not being more clear; It was a detailed list of what I got treatment for, lists medications, procedures that were done, etc. It covers a 3 day stay in the hospital in WA (Evergreen Hospital).

There were some posts in this thread a while back dealing with medical collections and HIPAA violations. Someone might chime in with the info to point you in the right direction, but it would probably be worth searching for. But from what I understand, it is a violation of HIPAA to share specific medical treatments to collection agencies.

EDIT: reading up more on it, I'm confused. There seems to be some people who say the hospital could in this instance release that info to the CA, and others who say they still can't go that detailed. You'll probably need to research this more carefully, and again hopefully someone that has gone through this can chime in for you.

dvgrhl fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 4, 2011