Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
I have a Visa Debit Card with First Community Credit Union in Texas. Around Thanksgiving I bounced a $200 check at a grocery store(H-E-B). I got hit with some insufficient funds charges from both the bank and H-E-B as my bank didn't cover the $200. I haven't heard from H-E-B, but the bank closed my account and sent it to collections(Transworld Systems). I owe $191.74. I would like to be able to open up the account again because I've been banking with them for years and it's right by my house. I got my w2 which could basically pay it off, but I can't direct deposit it into my account because it's closed. Here is my questions:

1. If I pay off the debt, will they just re-open my account?

2. Why haven't I heard from H-E-B yet about the bounced check? I've accidentally bounced checks with them before and just paid them off over the phone when I got a notice in the mail.

3. Why did my bank send this off to collections after only 2 months in debt? I've been in debt a lot longer than that before and nothing ever happened -- I would just end up getting out of the red with my paychecks.

Thanks for your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

Probably not. You can ask, but in most cases an account that goes to collections will be closed for good.

Okay, even if it's a long shot what should I say? Is this okay: "Hey, I've banked with you guys for 10 years now and this has never happened. I just sent the money order to collections, can I get my account back?"

If that sounds like a dumb question, sorry. I want use of my card back and don't know what I'm doing.