Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Security Yams
Mar 12, 2005
^^^^^
sup

sup
vvvvvvv
Great job on the thread, CubsWoo. I've got a question for you if you've got some free time:

I'm in a similar situation to the one you described in the OP, where I made some dumb, uninformed decisions regarding financing for my education several years ago, and now I'm being regularly hounded by creditors as a result with little ability to actually make payments without living on the streets. The debt itself is no longer with the original lender, though I'm not sure how far detached from the source it is now (and I'm not sure how I'd find out), but anyway, getting to the question.

A while back, I was called at work over the debt and told in no uncertain terms that if I didn't agree to a monthly payment schedule and start making them immediately, I would not only have my wages garnished but I could be sued and possibly thrown in jail, and as a guy with little money and even less of an understanding of what my rights were, I went into a panic and agreed to pay via auto-withdraw through my debit card at an amount much higher than what I could afford (something I tried to argue but couldn't get the guy on the phone to budge on). They regularly took money out of my bank account for several months until I was laid off from my job and the money flow stopped. For another several months afterwords, I was unemployed and what money I could earn, I threw into a different bank (the account at my prior bank is now closed). Even though I'm currently employed again (thankfully), I now have less to live on than I had before, and am basically hiding under a rock from the collectors as I'm wary about re-entering any kind of payment agreement, especially since I can't afford it.

My question(s) is this -- where do you think I generally stand in terms of my rights as a debtor since I've previously agreed to payments with this company, and what would a good course of action from here on out be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU