Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?
Got a BS traffic ticket while driving across the country about 5 years ago and spoke with the court who told me they'd take care of it and call me back. Lost all the information in a house fire and forgot about it completely. Just received a letter asking for me to pay ~$250. Called the collection agency and explained the situation and offered $120. Guy wouldn't take it but said they could set me up to pay the full amount back at $20 a month. I asked about a pay by deletion and he asked me what that was. I got his name and hung up. Right now I'm interning and not making a lot of money; what options do I have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
Thanks, Knightmare. I recall the ticket would have been for a specific amount so when I inquired on the phone how they came up with the total he informed me that they added $49 fee to the original amount. Seems pretty legit. I last checked my credit in December and don't think it was on there at that time. I'll most likely suck it up and pay the amount in total but drat if it doesn't piss me off (I was actually shooting a documentary at the time and had video footage proving that I was not speeding, spoke with the court multiple times about sending the video in as evidence but they stopped returning my calls and a house fire destroyed my notes and the tape 2 years ago).

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005

Knightmare posted:

I'm not 100% on this but if it's really not on your credit report and you pay them, there might be a chance it gets "updated" to your credit that you had an outstanding debt that you did settle, but would possibly drop your score a bit. Send a debt validation letter, and if they actually can prove the debt is yours then offer $40 for a pay-for-delete. That way it won't show up on your credit, and if it's truly not on your credit as of this moment it might just be best to let it slip by the statute of limitations if it hasn't already.

I will definitely send a debt validation letter to be certain it's legit (which it likely is) but the statute of limitations for traffic tickets only applies to the time period it takes the officer to file the charges. After they've been filed that ticket's there for good so waiting it out after receiving verification that the company bought purchased the debt would only cause more problems. Thanks again for the advice.