Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Squared posted:

I pulled my freecreditreport.com report today

Make sure you remember to cancel the recurring billing and use annualcreditreport.com next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

gregday posted:

About 3 years ago I was totally irresponsible and let my car get repossessed for defaulting on the loan. At the time I owed about $10.5K on it. It went to auction and fetched about $5k, and then NMAC set me up on a payment plan for the other $5,500. I dutifully paid it every month until it was all done, and they sent me a letter certifying it was paid in full.

Is there a snowball's chance I could call them up and get them to delete it from my report? It still shows as a Charge-Off but also shows Paid in Full.

Or have I lost all bargaining power since it's been paid off more than a year?

You could contest it with Expirian,etc and hope they don't bother confirming it since it's paid off.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Knightmare posted:

I want to say they have to provide the reason if denying you, I don't think they have to provide a credit report/score.

If you're denied credit, that's a valid excuse to get a credit report for free.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Which letter are you talking about? Send your request for validation letter ASAP. This needed to be done yesterday. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe you only have 30 days to do it once you get the letter in the mail that says you owe $4000. Otherwise your debt is deemed valid and it gets very complicated for you from there.

It's my understanding from reading this thread that requesting verification, etc 30 days after the first letter means they have to verify in 30 days. If you don't, then they can take as long as they want to verify, but they can't contact you until they do. Is that right?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Boofchicken posted:

Again, thank you very much for your advice, it is much appreciated. I live in Texas where it is legal to record calls, so that should not be an issue. I really want to hold the receipt in my hand before I tell them 100% that I know they got the letters, but if they continue to call I will answer and go from there.

The debt is for $4000, so I am assuming if things aren't handled quickly, they will want to sue, since that has been what they keep threatening to do each time.
The last payment was in October of 2008 on a Chase card, so I know it can not be even close to the original $4000. I am hoping to settle this without them coming at me with a lawsuit, but if they do that is why I want to have violations, if any, recorded.

It's Texas, a lawsuit will go no where since they can't garnish your wages. IIRC, SOL in Texas is 2 years as well.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Nighthand posted:

Edit: Apparently I've asked this before and had completely forgotten about it. Advice then was to verify it if we can (we can't seem to without calling the collection agency it seems like) and to just pay it. I assume the advice is still valid?

There should be contact information on her credit report, if not you can just contest with the CRA. There should also be contact information or at least a return address on the notices she's getting. You want to do this via mail, not phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ZeroAX posted:

I'm an idiot and apparently didn't pay a medical copay of $13.

I thought I paid it a while ago, and a few days after paying I received another notice. I didn't open the second notice because I assumed it was paid in full and the notice was sent out before my payment. I opened the notice today to find they were sending it to collections if I didn't response by May 2nd.

I'm planning on calling them in the morning to see if it isn't too late to pay, but assuming they've already sent my account to collections, what's my best option to minimize the damages on my credit report?

Pay the hospital and keep the receipt. If they send a letter, respond with a copy of the receipt and a verification request. If it shows up on your credit report, dispute it as paid using the receipt as proof.