Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

antwizzle posted:

This line is so hilarious I'm almost tempted to call one of my junk debt buyers just so I can use it on them ;)

Has anyone ITT had any positive experience negotiating a settlement with an original creditor? I got a letter from Wells Fargo Card Services offering to settle my $800 balance for $400. I haven't made a payment on it in about 12 months, although I've probably paid close to $1,500 on this balance over 4 years (broke college student, fees, etc etc) before I stopped giving a gently caress. They still own the debt AFAIK although I've gotten calls here and there from collections agencies on their behalf. I don't have 400$ to give them so I wiped my rear end with their settlement offer and sent them the following letter:

I'm well aware that a settled-in-full tradeline is not much better than an unpaid tradeline, but I am also aware that an OC will probably not do a pay for delete. I think $175 is a fair price for them to gently caress off. This was honestly just a shot in the dark to get them to stop being so irritating. Any thoughts?

I would still attempt the PFD, even if you're unlikely to get it. If they outright refuse, counter with what you currently have. If you're excessively anal you can also ask them to have the agreement returned notarized, but I only slip that in with JDBs that are settling with me.

With the economy in its current terrible state, collectors (even OCs) are starting to take nearly any offer they can get. Lowball like crazy and demand a PFD. They won't stop negotiating with you if they think they can get anything on an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Also, a quick heads-up on a collection tactic that is popping back up recently:

Never cash a check from a debt collector that was sent to you unprompted. They typically are small checks ($10 or less) that are sent to you under the pretense of 'interest owed' or some kind of accounting error on their end. When you cash it, they know you're active/they have your proper address. If you cash it in your personal account, they now know where you bank and will use that if they can get a judgment against you to attach your accounts.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Cloud City Computer posted:

They sent me a copy of some sort of medical billing statement and I can make no sense of it. But for all intents and purposes it looks like it's validated.

I want to hammer them for money at this point. I've been harrassed by these guys for some time (and many others). It would give me a sense of justice to get these guys for everything I'm legally obligated to get.

Give them a few more weeks to tally up violations. Outside of hiring an actual lawyer (who probably won't take a case like this without good money up front) your goal is much like theirs when it comes to legal action - attempt to settle. Most of the time your letter will be ignored, but it sets up a paper trail if you do file a lawsuit. The first thing you should do is prepare your Complaint for court. You probably won't be going to court, but it's good to have the Complaint available (search Google for samples, or ask on credit repair-centric boards.) Attach the complaint to your ITS letter with the following:

quote:

Enclosed is a copy of the Complaint I will be filing 45 days after the receipt of this letter in the absence of a reasonable settlement, including but not limited to:

- Removal of your firm's tradeline for *alleged account X* from all credit reports
- A guarantee that your firm will not place *alleged account X* on any credit report at any point in the future
- With the exception of correspondence in regards to this settlement or any litigation as a result of ignoring this settlement offer, you agree to never contact me or any member of my family in regards to *alleged account X* for any purpose
- A cashier's check for US$1000 as restitution for your blatant and repeated violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (don't include this unless they've racked up a ton of violations.)

If you wish to avoid litigation, please contact me at the return address. I will not discuss this or any matter with your company through any other means of communication.

Send it off CMRRR and wait 45 days from the time you get the green slip back. Be ready to sue if they don't respond.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Cloud City Computer posted:

Thanks for the reponse. From the other credit repair boards I've been reading it seems like this is what the warning is as if it's going to be a bad thing that I actually sue.

You've been successful in deealing with these things. Should I even bother?

There's no reason to send an Intent to Sue if you don't actually intend to sue. They'll toss it in the trash much the same way a debtor tosses the dunning letter in the trash, and if nothing comes of it, it meant nothing.

TWiNKiE is right in that this really isn't (at this point, there's always the possibility they become harassing or otherwise lawsuit-friendly) the kind of case where you're going to get them to cut you a check.

Try to make sense of the billing statement. Is this an outside company collecting? Can they provide you with a chain of custody (a bill of sale showing they bought the debt, things of that nature?) Does the statement match what they're attempting to collect? If not, why not? You have the right to request a full, fair accounting of the debt so they can show you why you owe what you owe, and what fees/interest/etc they're trying to collect - and you can then square that with the laws of your state and see if they're playing by the rules or not.

Never jump to a lawsuit. If you go in unprepared, you're going to get laughed out of court, likely be out the money it cost to file, and have a newly zealous collector trying to squeeze more from you (since you could pay to file a suit, you've likely got money they can grab!)

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

antisocial posted:

I found out from the court officer that the levy was from a law office and they only gave me a number to contact them and the amount I owe for a credit card.
What are my options here? Obviously I need to call the lawyer, but is there any way I can have my account unfrozen?

Liens are a massive pain in the rear end. At least until Monday, there's probably little or nothing you can do to have the account unfrozen (but try calling the law office tomorrow anyway in case they're staffed, but they likely aren't.) Depending on the law office, the amount you owe, and the Christmas spirit, you may be able to get them to unfreeze the account with a promise to pay or some form of down payment. But, again, they've done enough to start seizure proceedings on your accounts, so there's a very big chance they won't do anything but extract what they've been awarded on their schedule.

If you were never served, you might be able to get the judgment vacated but that's going to be difficult to do on short notice, with Christmas in a week and most dockets on reduced schedules. Also it looks like New Jersey has rules allowing service to be done via newspaper posting if a defendant cannot be reached by other means, so it's possible they did that. Either way, talk to the law office ASAP and let us know what they say.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Intrepid posted:

Now, because I was an idiot and just ignored everything for years now, am I screwed in reference to the quote above? After reading this thread, and given the amount of time that's passed, I'm sure that a lot of these assholes have no way to validate the original debt. I'm just fearful that because I never disputed it in the first place, I don't have a leg to stand on. My credit is pretty abysmal (550) and I really want to fix that.

Can I still dispute these, and what's the best way - directly to the collection companies, or through the credit bureaus? Also, I'm in New York state (and was when all of these debts were incurred).

You can still dispute, but since it's 30 days after their first contact/dunning letter, they have no obligation to respond to your request. You can bring up in court that they refuse to validate, and most firms will still validate the debt on request, but that may also put you on their radar if they've not been bothering you about the debt recently.

As Knightmare said, do you need your score fixed right now? If the debt is going out of statute in less than a year, you can probably just sit it out and dispute/delete those tradelines once they're out of statute in NY. Just keep an eye on those tradelines in case the JDBs/CAs try to re-age them and keep them on.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

In some ways, the big debt relief companies can be even worse than doing it yourself (or having your lawyer/someone working personally with you do it) because once you're in their system they often just dump form letters at your negatives and often push their clients to settle when the possibility of a deletion is there if you keep going. Recently I helped a friend of my mother's take her credit from 478 to nearly 800 in about a year. LL quoted her something like $1500 plus settlement offers and a longer timeframe. I did it for her for about $250 and a big dinner at Topolobampo near the end of it. Either do it yourself or hire someone small to do it so you know you're getting personalized advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

They may not have to validate the debt, but in my experience requesting validation is a good way to get even past-30 creditors off your back. I think a lot of the time consumers who show spine and even a casual understanding of the FDCPA get shoved to the "Don't bother with/re-sell ASAP" file and once some new sucker company buys your debt you can take a second crack at validation.

Friends of mine who I'm working with on debt repair have been seeing unprompted offers from some of the CAs starting at 45% or lower right now. The economy sucks and they're taking what they can get which means you're in the driver's seat in determining payment amounts and terms.