Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
I got a phone call tonight and this thread popped into my mind.

A lady from NCO called, stating that I owed Sears about 2000 bucks, but they would settle for 680. I said ok, can you send me verification that I owe the debt? She said ok, and hung up. She wasn't impolite or anything at this point.

I incurred this debt about 11 or 12 years ago, give or take. Maybe 13. I went through a bad point in my life, and was completely unable to pay it at the time. I've pretty much put it behind me, it was, again, a bad point.

At this point the debt must be charged off many years ago. I'm about to pull my credit report from Annualcreditreport.com to see what's on it. I also bought a house a year ago, so it wasn't there then.

What should I do if she calls again? Should I request a dunning letter? I live in Georgia, but at the time I lived in Connecticut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
I also have a friend who has a open an account, that is in good status, that has been open for 4 years now, with a 12,000 dollar limit, with a high of 5400 dollars. He's never heard of this account. He also has a C/O of 1295 dollars with BoA from a secured credit card. BoA also got a judgment on him in the amount of 1295.

What rights does he have? The last payment on the account was 5 years ago in January. Georgia's statute states 4 years on credit cards, but that judgment...

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
I pulled my credit report from annualcreditreport.com and - oddly enough - wasn't able to pull it from transunion or equifax. Equifax said I didn't answer their questions right - which I did, and transunion had an error. Odd. I wonder if I had spent money if they would have had issues.

But experian said I had a lien on me from state taxes being unpaid. Again, during the aforementioned bad point. It was paid off with my federal taxes the following year, but the state never reported it as paid off to the credit bureaus. I disputed it and experian told me that the lien was considered accurate, despite it being paid off?

What?

I had a similar issue dealing with this when I bought my house, but the lender had no issues because I was able to show proof of it being paid off. What's my next step?

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
I need some advice with what to do on a debt collector that just sent me a letter for a debt. It's with Green Tree Servicing, and the debt is confusing me. I think it was legit...was...many years ago. When I was much younger. I bought a mobile home god about 14 years ago? Give or take? Was in a bad relationship, lost everything and then some, and couldn't pay.

O.k.

They eventually charged off, it's been gone for years now, it's been about 12 years or so, - I've since bought a real house(!!), car, etc.

I don't even think it was this company (though I think the name is similar), but the outstanding balance is close (once again, old memory). I'm going to pull my latest credit report tonight when I get home.

The balance is for 28k, approximately. They sent me a "Tax-Time" settlement on my outstanding balance of about 7k. Very kind of them, I suppose. It also states that this will settle the debt in full.

What should I do about this? I'm a little irritated, it was my fault on many levels, it was some really bad times for me, but it was over so many years ago. Should I get the verify debt letter like the OP stated? That gave me the impression it was for far more recent debts than this...what should I do?

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Cool, will do.