Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Loco179 posted:

I did a debt validation letter for a apartment debt.

They provided the lease agreement but did some strange stuff for the debt.This is to a collections agency.

They failed to provide a few things...

Prove the Statute of Limitations
Showed me they are licensed to collect in my state
Provide me with the licensed numbers and Registered Agent.

What are my options?

By licensed to collect, do you mean licensed to practice law? Because if you owe me a debt, I don't have to be "licensed" to attempt to collect it from you, nor does a collection agency I hire to collect the debt up until a lawsuit is filed. If you're talking about attorneys, that and the statute of limitations will come up if they sue you in court. In the meantime, the FDCPA doesn't require that information be given to you, unless there's a particular law in your state that requires it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Wet Fifty posted:

I recently got hit with a judgment in the amount of close to $1,300 for an unpaid credit card debt from 2003. Where can I find the SOL for the state of Utah to determine if they have not fallen out of time? Also, according to their letter, they are demanding damages of 560.05 plus interest of 758.43 at a rate of 25.9% annum. They also tacked on 250.00 in attourney's fees.

I know you are not giving me legal advice, but could you point a brother in the right direction?

Edit: looks like the SoL is 6 years on a written agreement. Unless my math is wrong, this is 2010 so the SoL has expired right?

When did they file the case? If that was after the statute ran, then it was too late. It's not based on the judgment date. So 2003 to 2009 is six years, depending on the exact dates within those years. It's based on your last payment I believe, so make sure you're looking at the correct dates. Also, at least where I am, attorney fees are added to the judgment by statute along with court costs and fees. Interest is governed by the terms of your agreement until there is a judgment, and then statutory interest kicks in on that.

I assume this was a default judgment. What you probably need to do is file a motion to reopen the judgment and state why you missed the court date (e.g., you didn't know about it until you got the judgment, or whatever) and argue that the statute had run so you can't have judgment against you.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Grammar Fascist posted:

CubsWoo, I have a debt from 2004 from Paypal and in December received a letter from a collection agency about it. I sent them a debt verification letter and just received a letter back (postmarked on day 28). What does this letter need to include to have fulfilled their statutory obligations? I had requested a lot of information in my letter (like proof that the statute of limitations had not expired, proof that they are licensed to collect debts in my state, etc.), but none of this is included. Their notice also says that my response is required within 10 days (I requested 30 days in my letter to them). What should my next steps be?

I'm pretty sure they're not required to give you a lot of that information. Debt collectors don't have to give you whatever random things you demand to see. What's required is proof of the debt in the form of invoices or whatever, and the name of the original creditor, if any. Maybe the law in your state requires that, but I'm fairly certain the FDCPA does not.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

LorneReams posted:

I just recorded a call from a debt collector who called my mother for like a 15 year old debt who threatened (among other things) to have her arrested and to sue her for everything she owns. I almost got her to threaten me, but she stopped short, only going so far as to say that "I'll be sorry". I can't wait to count up the number of violations in that one phone call LOL. It's money time.

I hope you live in a state where it's legal to record a phone call without the other party's consent...

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Bookish posted:

In Michigan you wouldn't file an answer to a small claims suit. You can file one if you really want to but it's really not necessary. Credit card debt and things like that are filed in civil court, where you would file an answer. If you are served with a civil complaint you have 21 days to file an answer and if you don't then the plaintiff can get a default judgment.
I just wanted to let people know that things are very different depending on what state you're in. One of the easiest ways to find out what to do is to call your courthouse and ask the civil clerk.

It can even vary from county to county within a state. In some counties you don't file a written answer but just appear at a scheduled hearing. In others you have to file an answer. And inn others you can do one or the other. So as stated above, you really do need to call the courthouse to determine the correct procedure. Do the wrong thing, and a default judgment can be entered against you.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

BusinessWallet posted:

The first thing on my credit report is a judgment for the first account, Capital One. I'm pretty confused about this, I never got any letter saying I was being sued, no phone call, no nothing. The information listed is an identification number, the plaintiff (Capital One), the address and phone number of the County Clerk and that it was filed 10/22/09. Like I said I was never informed of this, the first time I'm hearing about it is now, on my credit report.

That being said, I realize how stupid all of this is, how dumb I was to let everything go into collections, and I'm willing to deal with the consequences of my actions. It's just that I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do at this point. What does the judgment mean? Do I contact the County Clerk where the judgment is listed? Or the company that filed the judgment? I haven't had wages garnished or anything like that, so I'm really not sure what to do here. I really want to take care of this, whatever it takes. I'm just not sure where to start. If anyone can help me out even in the slightest, where I should go or what I should do, I'd really appreciate it. I just want to get my life under control.

Have you moved since you last had any contact with Capital One? It's possible they tried to serve you at your last known address, and when they couldn't they served you by publication. That would allow default judgment to be entered. I'd contact the clerk's office and find out when and how this happened. There would be a record of attempts to serve you and when/where it was published. You can ask about filing a motion to reopen the matter and then contest it if you have a valid basis to contest it. Where I am, these motions are almost always granted and you can then negotiate with whoever has your debt at this point.

The fact that there's a judgment currently entered gives them the ability to garnish your wages if they know where you work, and assuming you don't have some exemption to garnishment (such as being on food stamps or having an income below poverty level).

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Bookish posted:

In my county in Michigan you can get a bench warrant issued against you for not showing up to a discovery hearing. This includes small claims cases too. If you get served paperwork with a hearing date on it, GO TO THE HEARING.

This.

I do some collection work. What often happens is we get a judgment against a person, and then go to do a supplementary examination to find out their financial situation for purposes of garnishing wages or bank accounts. They are ordered by the court to appear at this examination. If they do not (and they usually don't) appear, it can be contempt of court, which can result in a bench warrant being issued. So the arrest isn't because they owe a debt, it's because they failed to comply with a court order.

LorneReams posted:

So that is how they are getting around the law.

It's not "getting around the law." It is the law. People can't just ignore court orders and think nothing is going to happen as a result.

quepasa18 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 15, 2010

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

LorneReams posted:

Oh cool, I have a court order from AT&T to pay me from small claims court ($350). How can I have Randall Stephenson arrested?

They never showed up to a single hearing.

What you probably have is a judgment against them after a default. That's not the same thing.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

Typically, after the judgment, they'll have another court hearing where the judge will make you disclose your assets - where you work, where you bank, etc. Then the court can order those assets seized/garnished to satisfy the judgment.

Where I am, in small claims court I can initiate garnishment proceedings the day I get the judgment. We often know where the person works before we even file the case, and we've verified that employment with the employer. Sometimes we have a bank account number from a prior payment, and then we can immediately garnish that account as well.

I'm not sure if the same is true in non-small claims court though.

Yes, you are notified in advance, and have a chance to respond with why you shouldn't be garnished.

quepasa18 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 15, 2010

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005
quote is not edit.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Bookish posted:

Ok I guess I didn't explain myself well. You are notified that you are being sued of course but after the judgment is entered you are not notified ahead of time if they are going to garnish you. Sorry about the confusion.

But you are notified once the bank freezes the money in the account. The bank notifies the court how much money they have, and there's a court hearing before it's released to the creditor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

Bookish posted:

No, that's not true here. There's no court hearing unless the defendant objects to the garnishment.

True, but the defendant is still notified of the garnishment and given the opportunity to object. That was the point I was trying to make. I just left out a step. Thanks for clarifying for me.