Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shop
Nov 16, 2005
OK any help here would be great. Due to similar stupidity seen in various parts of this thread I owe $24,000.00 CDN that I blew off 2 years ago when I moved to the States. I just received a piece of mail from the collections agency stating that my debt has been assigned to them and they have called a few times and left voicemails. Being that I live in the States but plan on heading back to Canada someday what should my course of action be here?

Also can I go back to CIBC (original debt) after this is sorted or will they have already got rid of my account? Will I be able to get another bank account easily when I return?

Thanks a ton, I know nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shop
Nov 16, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

I'm not familiar with Canadian credit law but my first step would be to find out the statute of limitations on the debt for your home province and how their credit bureaus/reporting services work.

So I talked with the Collector today and he stated that if I did not pay immediately then they would recommend legal action. He stated that I paid $400.00 back when the account was with the bank in 2009 which I most likely did. I asked for a statement saying exactly what I owe and he sent me a letter from his company just with the total owing and options to pay. What are my options now.. the BC provincial stature is 6 years and he wasn't willing to set up a monthly payment. Do I take this to court or am I just hosed?

Thanks again.

EDIT: On top of this he got my mother on the phone, called me a liar repeatedly etc.. unfortunately I do not have this recorded

shop fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 12, 2010

shop
Nov 16, 2005
Thanks, I guess I'll just call the bank in the morning and see if I can set up a monthly payment plan with them. Hopefully they haven't sold the debt.