Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I had an old-as-gently caress bill from 1995 that some collection agency has begun calling me about. One of their reps told me if I didn't pay it off, it would go back on my credit report. Can they do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

No. Tell the guy you know he's lying and to gently caress off or you'll come after him and his company with a suit. That should get them to stop.

Can you provide me a legal reference for telling them to cease or I'll sue, for the state of California? Somehow "Stop calling or I'm calling my lawyer" is something they probably hear a hundred times a day, 99.9% of which is a bluff. But if I can say "You are in violation of California statute blah blah blah...", it'll probably strengthen my arguement.

I've also asked them to cease calling me, but they have told me point blank they refuse to do that. I've read elsewhere that I need to put this request in writing. Unfortunately this same company is not providing me their address to do so. Is this legal?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

Sign it, date it, and send it certified mail/return receipt to them. Or just cite the FDCPA and the CA Civil Code over the phone.

15 U.S.C. § 1692c(c) says all such requests must be made in writing, and nothing about suing them if they continue to call my cell phone. California Civil Code § 1788.17 just says to obey federal law, as far as I can tell.

So if I just verbally tell them over the phone to cease calling, they can ignore it until they receive it in writing? Also, I don't think I really have grounds to sue them over them calling me unless they call at odd hours or make threats.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

I've been able to successfully sue (well, threaten to, they opened up their checkbook well before it reached trial) over calling my cell phone after being told not to in writing, and most judges have interpreted the FDCPA to consider cell numbers as home numbers for the purposes of cease communication letters. Most collectors will stop if you cite the FDCPA over the phone, but you're dealing with someone who's collecting on a debt nearly 9 years out of statute so this may not apply. Not to mention them saying the debt can go on your credit report is considered misrepresenting the status of a debt and a FDCPA violation as would them trying to re-attach it to your report. Send a validation letter alongside your cease communication and you're hitting them twice with the need to stop contacting you about the debt. Have you even received a dunning letter?

I will give that a try, thank you.

And I don't believe I have received a "dunning letter". What is this exactly?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

Others might claim you were served and move to the suit/default judgment anyway (if this happens, you have an open and shut case to have the judgment vacated.)

Just for the sake of argument, how would a company show that you were properly served?

Also, is it worth it to dispute any and all negative information on my credit report on the off chance that some of it gets removed? If so what's the best way to go about doing this?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Hillridge posted:

Waaaaaaaay back from page 1, but I'd like to know if anyone has more info on this.
My mortgage was recently sold, and while I doubt anything will come of it, if I can get it dropped via a legal loophole AND gently caress a giant bank in the process it would be like a million Christmases at once.

Indeed. I would love to know more about this, too.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I discovered that I have an old cell phone bill of around $80 that has gone to collections. Unfortunately I need to take care of it ASAP because I'm applying for a Sallie Mae loan and having an unpaid bill on the credit report will cause the loan app to be rejected.

So I called the cell phone company, and got all the pertinent information. The lady I spoke with said that once they received the payment, it would automatically be removed from my credit report in about 30-45 days. I'd like to get something in writing from them in case it *doesn't* get removed. Should I send them a letter, fax or email, or what? How do I go about getting them to agree to do this pay-for-deletion.

And if they say they don't do anything like that, then what?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

Send them a letter asking for something in writing, signed by someone with the power to do so, that agrees to the PFD. You can then send that to the bureaus as proof the record should be deleted.

Should I send it to Sprint, or the the collection agency that's currently holding the debt?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

The collection agency. Once Sprint sells the debt, it's out of their control.

I called the collection agency this afternoon. A company called Debt Recovery Solutions located in Westbury, NY. I told them I would be happy to send them the $75 in exchange for them removing it from the credit report.

The person I spoke with said they couldn't do that. The only thing that they could do is mark the debt as paid-in-full. Will this do anything to improve my credit score, and will it cause the now paid-in-full debt to stay on my credit report for *another* seven years?

Ugh I'm going to be so furious if I cannot qualify for a Sallie Mae loan because of an ancient cell phone bill. :|

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

TheWevel posted:

Never do anything over the phone, always do it Certified Mail with a Read Receipt. Did you pay them over the phone?

No, I haven't paid them at all. I told them that if they weren't going to remove it from my credit report, I wasn't going to pay. The guy on the other end said, "Well, okay."

And that was that.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

The phone rep fed you a line of bullshit. If you call back, go up the chain until you find someone who will agree to it. Either way, send them an ultimatum letter ("Payment in full will be delivered to you upon agreement, signed by a member of your company with the power to do so, that your company will no longer report this debt and will not respond to a dispute of this debt from any and all credit bureaus - something like this.) Also mention in that letter that if they don't agree, you'll begin requesting verification documents and will dispute the debt anyway. I'd be shocked if they don't take the money and delete over the potential minefield of a pissed-off consumer and the FCRA/FDCPA minefield over $75. They may not even have enough to satisfy a validation challenge.

I called back, got the same guy who gave me the same line. I asked to speak with his supervisor. I'm about 100% sure he just gave me to another phone rep who repeated what he said. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, I was told that I was speaking with the only sup in the office.

Which I'm sure is bullshit.

So now I'm going to write a letter. Do you have any copies of a letter like this available online, that you recommend?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

<form letter>

Awesome, thank you.

So I'm going to assume I should send this registered mail? How long should I wait, and if I don't hear back from them or they respond negatively, what should my next step be?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Tom Ripley posted:

Can the contents of a safe deposit box be seized by creditors?

Only if it contains a second, smaller safe deposit box. :tipshat:

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

Send it certified mail with a return receipt (that little green slip you need to fill out) or if you want to spend a little more, FedEx/UPS it. Some method where it can be tracked and signed for. After that, since that letter is considered a validation letter, dispute with the bureaus ~5-10 days once you see they've received the letter. If they don't respond or respond negatively and continue collection without validating - violation. If they validate without proof to you - violation. If they validate, send proof, and still refuse to deal with you, then there's not much you can do, since at that point it's a legal debt, they have claim to it, and they don't have to listen to your demands at any point (though most do, since it means they get paid.)

So I got my return receipt today from the letter I sent the collection agency. I'm going to wait until the end of next week before contacting the credit bureaus. Do you have a sample letter of what I should be sending the three credit bureaus?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
When I dispute my debt with the three credit agencies, what exactly happens? Do they remove the debt for a period of time while they investigate or does it stay on there until its proven (in)valid?

Also is there any way I can regularly look up my credit score / report without having any negative effects on my score for a not insane amount of money?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

CubsWoo posted:

There's a good number of form letters on http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/ - pick one and modify it to whatever you need. But skip the personal drama "THIS IS RUINING MY LIFE" poo poo because it doesn't make a difference to the bureau if your credit score means you can't get that new BMW or whatever.

I'm guessing something like this is what I wanna modify and send. Should I include photocopies of the return receipts I sent to the collection agency?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Pagan posted:

Ha! No, because they broke the law. They are prohibited from threatening YOU with legal action, unless they intend to do so. That means their lawyer or law firm can say "we're gonna sue," but if some phone rep says it, that's a violation.

I've gotten results (not a settlement, but the documents I'd been chasing for 6 months) after sending an Intent to Sue letter, combined with a 9 page legal complaint. I said "I'm going to submit this to the state court on such and such a date. However, to avoid the complications of litigation, I am willing to accept the following from you : Blah, blah, and blah." Another phrase that gets used a lot is "I will seek all legal remedy for your violations of the law."

My case was much more tenuous than this one, though. A 9 year old trade line is completely against the law in every possible way, and the laws involved are what are called strict liability. There is no defense for breaking them. It's kind of like drunk driving; if you're caught doing it, you're busted, and there's nothing you can say that makes it okay. You're entitled to $1,000 per violation, and if the judge considers it a willful violation, you're also entitled to any and all court or legal fees you've incurred.

If it was me, I'd send them a short letter, I probably wouldn't even bother with typing up the complaint yet. Just list the laws they've broken, explain that you know your rights, and you will be filing in court. However, they can avoid the additional expenses involved by paying only the fines right now, or they can pay both the fines and court costs later.

If he sends out such a letter, how does one then go about suing the collection agency? Do you file charges in a local small claims court or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I dunno if I'd use your service, CubsWoo, but I'd definitely take a look at what you offer. Specifically, if I sent you a copy of my credit report and got back info on the best way to increase the score. Some of the rules surrounding FICO seem a bit confusing and contradictory, so having someone who knows them and can give me a road map would be helpful.