Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
So I just got a disturbing phone call earlier.

A man claiming to be from processing services or some other thing called me to inform me that I was to be served a subpoena tomorrow. He gave me a telephone number to call to a debt collection agency. I called them up to see what was going on and it's in regards to an old debt that I honestly had forgotten about (stupid, I know), but I haven't received any prior calls or letters from these people.

Basically the guy tells me that I am going to be served but if I fork over a "generous settlement amount" then he could call "them" and stop the process. He then tries to verify my information and at first, has my birth date, address, and social security number wrong, but then looks at something else on my credit report and comes up with the correct information (I didn't tell him). He told me that a civil suit would basically destroy my chances of getting jobs in the future and rattled off a list of bad sounding things that would happen to my assets.

I've never been served before so I honestly don't know if I am legitimately being sued, or if this is some elaborate scare tactic. If it turns out I really am about to be sued, what should my first move be? I haven't received so much as a phone call or letter from these people ever, and I wouldn't have because they didn't even have my right loving address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Okay, so I definitely did not get served, and I don't think I'm being sued. My understanding is that they made a few bigtime violations of the FDCPA by not only posing as someone from the Processing Service office, but telling me that they were taking me to court when they weren't. What recourse do I have? I didn't have the presence of mind to record the phone call, but I did take pretty detailed notes. I still haven't gotten any sort of letter from them.