Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClearWhiteLight
Jul 17, 2006
Okay. I owe about 30k on five different cards, with balances from 4k to 16k. Currently I pay about 900 a month in minimum payments (also includes about 25k in art school educational debt), which is more than all my other monthly expenses combined. The debt was acquired mostly by acruing medical and educational expenses- my entire last year of college at a 40k/year university was paid on credit cards.

I've considered consolidation (would knock monthly payments down to 600 and completely shut down my credit and gently caress up my credit rating), and I've considered bankruptcy, but have always managed to scrape together enough to avoid so much as missing a single payment to these assholes. This irregardless, the minimum payments are going up (one card's minimum payments just jumped up to 400/month from 150/month for no real reason), and the interest rates are climbing to embarassing heights (one card just hit 29.99 for No Good Reason). My credit score is still good.

I just lost my job. It wasn't much, but now I'm finding myself busking tarot cards on the street and doing under the table moving jobs to make ends meet. The truck is breaking down, the streets are getting too cold to busk, and all the arts admin and photo jobs that I'm slightly over-qualified for and applying for (six or seven a day) aren't calling back. Should I just stop paying everything but my student loans, and get cash advances from my one reasonably open line of credit to make lump sum settlement payments? Or what? How hosed am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU