Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

mysticp posted:

Thanks, well I guess, I didn't make the actual food but it was delicious.

I am really happy as this shot just got picked up by time magazine online for a write up on the bocuse d'or competition.

that's awesome! Congrats! The shots are really beautiful.
What camera do you have, btw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

corkskroo posted:

that's awesome! Congrats! The shots are really beautiful.
What camera do you have, btw?

I use a Canon 7D. It's a perfect balance between picture quality and speed. When I am shooting in a kitchen or at events the fast frame rate really comes in handy.

Mainly for straight food shots that I have total control over then I use a EF-S 60mm 2.8 macro. It allows me to get as close as I want and it's not too wide to distort perspective, my feet do the zooming. However unless space dictates (which it does when shooting mainly in NYC kitchens) I will always use a tripod and set up everything before the food is finished. When shooting chefs at work I switch between a EF-S 17-55 2.8 or a 70-200 F4L, though the 70-200 usually is on my backup camera.

For lighting I use two canon flashes, a 550ex and a 580exii. Set them to manual and usually 3:1 ratio to get some shadow on the plate, shot through umbrellas/soft box. Triggered with RF-602 wireless or the 7D wireless depending on location.

I have a serious gear wish list but to be honest I am really happy with my shots, especially since I got the macro lens, it's almost the perfect lens for food. I will probably next invest in some studio strobes as I am working on a food and wine book.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Here's some malfatti. Once again, shot in front of the window with all natural light...

corkskroo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 23, 2010

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

whatevs nobody cares here's some breadstuffs

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Did a couple of shots for a school project, first time working with food. My only other one wasn't great, but it was my first time working in the schools photo studio and I didn't really know my way around the equipment.

I wish I could have lit the front a lot better though, seems too dark for my tastes.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

corkskroo posted:

Your stuff has gotten a lot better, but I think they could do with some more context. The all-white thing works with some foods, but I think things like bread and stuff, could really do with some context. Maybe a wood table, or a basket, etc.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

corkskroo posted:

I think the bread does need to be made a little more interesting, as was pointed out, but I think the basket is a little dated. Try and find something whimsical to do, like if you had several rolls in a row, replace an inner one with a red apple or something for a splash of color and to break up the monotony. Additionally I think you have some contrast issues and everything is bluer than it should be imo.

Kazy posted:

Did a couple of shots for a school project, first time working with food. My only other one wasn't great, but it was my first time working in the schools photo studio and I didn't really know my way around the equipment.

I wish I could have lit the front a lot better though, seems too dark for my tastes.

I like this one a lot, but it would be nice to see it placed a little more symmetrically within the frame. You could pretty easily photoshop it, I should think.

Edit: it's pretty symm. really, I just meant something about it being at that slight angle throws me off.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

corkskroo posted:

Everything's still a bit too cool looking. Also bread belongs on a breadboard. You're getting better though

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

you guys are totally right regarding the coolness. I balanced when shooting but I guess things get a little wacky when I'm working levels in photoshop.

As for the styling, the rolls are supposed to look like their on linen for a dinner table. The buns and the challah were more of a test since I hven't done any "clean" shots just on white yet. But I do need to get more bgrounds and props and poo poo.

Here are some reworked versions. Better?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

also here's a sticky bun i shot on a plate that I forgot about :

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

corkskroo posted:

better but get the green out of this one

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
Could you maybe try getting some more eye-catching linen? Something more off-white or with a pattern would make your idea clearer than this, which seems like it can't decide whether it's a tablecloth or a blown out white background.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

An observer posted:

better but get the green out of this one

i swear either my eye-sight or my monitor is hosed up. I hope it's my monitor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

breathstealer posted:

Could you maybe try getting some more eye-catching linen? Something more off-white or with a pattern would make your idea clearer than this, which seems like it can't decide whether it's a tablecloth or a blown out white background.

well, it's a mix of both in that set so that might be adding to the confusion. And, yeah, we plan on upping our background collection a lot as soon as we can get out to the fabric store. For now I was just experimenting with clean after some pretty cluttered backgrounds.

Tunnelman
Feb 28, 2010

aaag air flow

Kazy posted:

Be careful when lighting from behind, you see on the edge of the chopsticks you lose a bit of detail from the light wrapping around it? How did you light this one? Welcome to studio shooting by the way!

Here's an image I did last night in the studio, if anyone would be so kind as to give me some feedback it'd be great. Shot it with a 4x5 with a digital Leaf back, a 210 lens, around f/22.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tunnelman posted:

Be careful when lighting from behind, you see on the edge of the chopsticks you lose a bit of detail from the light wrapping around it? How did you light this one? Welcome to studio shooting by the way!

Here's an image I did last night in the studio, if anyone would be so kind as to give me some feedback it'd be great. Shot it with a 4x5 with a digital Leaf back, a 210 lens, around f/22.

It's technically well done, but I dunno if it's the arrangement of the food or what; I just find it kind of uninteresting.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Finally put a table by a window. Wife is the food stylist.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Finally put a table by a window. Wife is the food stylist.

Nice! We've been shooting by the window too. I'll have to do a post of some recent images when I get the chance. My wife wants everything in razor focus rather than arty DOF tricks and you always gotta please the client...

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
How is this? Obviously not staged and more a spur of the moment thing, but I need to start posting more for feedback anyways :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tunnelman posted:

Urgh now I want sushi.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Greybone posted:

How is this? Obviously not staged and more a spur of the moment thing, but I need to start posting more for feedback anyways :)

I do like the odd plate, and the bottle/glasses arrangement. The things that bug me are the camera tilt, the bland table runner, and the lack of good lighting.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Cross_ posted:

I do like the odd plate, and the bottle/glasses arrangement. The things that bug me are the camera tilt, the bland table runner, and the lack of good lighting.

Thanks, I can see that - is it underexposed or just not lit enough? I really need to get my monitor calibrated :(

Hazardous Taste
Aug 4, 2009

Greybone posted:

It looks very old fashioned to me. It reminds me of photos I see in older cookbooks from the 70's and 80's.

As for the photo itself, it looks unbalanced. You have a large area of negative space in the upper right quadrant. Maybe shooting at a different angle or adding some additional dinnerware such as plates, napkins, and utensils would fill that space. Or, move the wine bottle and glasses to the upper right so they're not cut off and fill the rest of the space with plates, etc.

The serving platter looks unique and is part of the presentation, but I don't like how it's cut off on either side.

There needs to be more light and more attention to the food. As it is right now, the brightest highlights are all clustered in the wine glasses. After the dark corner, the glasses are the second thing that gets my attention. Also, did you add a vignette in post?

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
I've been trying to build my food portfolio lately, here some of my stuff:

Couple spill shots:

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.

Hazardous Taste posted:

There needs to be more light and more attention to the food. As it is right now, the brightest highlights are all clustered in the wine glasses. After the dark corner, the glasses are the second thing that gets my attention. Also, did you add a vignette in post?

Yeah - I guess as an attempt to deal with the negative space top right, the fireplace tiles seemed pretty boring. I want to do some more food photography now :)

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

lil deez posted:

Couple spill shots:

These are great, first and last especially, Beautiful focus w/ the steam in the first, and I love the concept on the last. It's something I've not seen before.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Greybone posted:

I realize you did this spur of the moment, but you have made the plate and its surroundings more interesting than the food, when the food has to be the most important part. Try re-plating with 4 rows of each item, instead of 4 items all grouped in 6 like it is now. Put the bread sticks at the back, they are the least interesting food item and are really just garnish.

Right now:

11223344 (fish head plate front)

Try this:

222222 (fish head plate front)

Then shoot with the front of the plate in the shot and then the front line of items in focus, very sharp. That way you see all 4 different food items perfectly. Have the champagne flutes in the background but try and avoid lighting them too much but don't cut off the tops of the glasses. If anything the cremant bottle label should be either in focus or at least discernable, but I would try and shoot with and without any of the glasses and bottle. Also change the runner to something simple and iron it so it has no weird folds on the sides. Keep it white though so there is contrast between the plate and the surface.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

lil deez posted:

Couple spill shots:

Nice!

I need to post some more recent ones. Shooting out on the front porch has been a revelation, as has experimenting with different color spaces when importing from raw.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I did a shoot for a private chef I know. It's amazing what 2 cooks can do in a tiny manhattan apartment. All this was shot off a cardboard packing box in one of the tiny bedrooms.

As always plenty of stuff from the shoot I am not happy with but it was a good feeling to be consistently getting the light right. I was adjusting my flashes without really thinking about it. Now to spend a week post processing all the images to get them printable.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

mysticp posted:

I did a shoot for a private chef I know. It's amazing what 2 cooks can do in a tiny manhattan apartment. All this was shot off a cardboard packing box in one of the tiny bedrooms.

As always plenty of stuff from the shoot I am not happy with but it was a good feeling to be consistently getting the light right. I was adjusting my flashes without really thinking about it. Now to spend a week post processing all the images to get them printable.

If you're going to post such interesting looking stuff, you have to label it.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

If you're going to post such interesting looking stuff, you have to label it.

1. Gnocchi hors d'ouvre

2. Caviar danish

3. Foiegarden (foie gras torchon with wild mushroom 'dirt' and garden vegs)

4. Uni Tapioca with picked radish

5. Chanterelle mushroom ragout (this was the garnish for a different dish not shown)

All shot with a canon 7d, efs 60mm 2.8 macro (love this lens for food), 2 canon flashes (550ex and 580 exii) one with lumiquest softbox other with honiphoto honeycomb grid to give me enough light control so I could get a completely dark background.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Glass Knuckles posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stzmHm6eF-0

Call me a rube, but I ain't never seen someone screw a pizza into wood before.

"I've done many cheese-pulls in my day."

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Fairly ordinary stuff, but a mad amount of preparation went into this shoot - literally an hour of shooting and 6 hours of prep. This was great experience in logistics.

This is some of the proofs for a shoot I did for Victorinox. They are doing a culinary school tour and needed layouts of all the different types of knife cuts for students.

I have to add captions and text to the shots before they are done.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
Six hours seems like a long time for what is for the most part pretty simple veg prep dude :/

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Twenties Superstar posted:

Six hours seems like a long time for what is for the most part pretty simple veg prep dude :/

Oh I didn't prep it, just had to get someone to do it for me, then I showed up for a 2 hour shoot.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I've been cooking food at home for my blog and trying to take nicer photos of them. I don't have much props or variation in plates though :( I think I might have overdid it with the closeups.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

^ I like those, although the thing you might have overdone is the saturation. Although, I like a lot of saturation (I just turned in some photos for a magazine that I oversaturated on purpose for the piece) but I think it makes it harder to understand the food sometimes.

mysticp posted:

Fairly ordinary stuff, but a mad amount of preparation went into this shoot - literally an hour of shooting and 6 hours of prep. This was great experience in logistics.

This is some of the proofs for a shoot I did for Victorinox. They are doing a culinary school tour and needed layouts of all the different types of knife cuts for students.

I have to add captions and text to the shots before they are done.

Hah my wife is doing knife skills in her culinary program now so my fridge is filled with these. I'm like "mmm microscopic carrot cubes!"

Figured I'd post an update. I've been shooting finished dishes almost exclusively on my front porch because the light rules. But the background is getting repetitive. If I ever have a free second I plan to hit the fabric store for more options but that hasn't happened yet.

Drop scones:

Gooseberry tart with fresh whipped cream

Korean tacos

Some peppers

plum torte

zucchini cream soup

And some quick location shots:

beans at the farmers market

A couple of dishes from a chef challenge at a museum in DC

Lamb skewers at some culinary event:

Banh mi from a trip to philly

I recently added another lens, the 18-55 IS canon. It's been invaluable in shooting portraits of people, which I've been doing at some food events. Otherwise, I've just been shooting and shooting. Hopefully there's been improvement.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Here are a few from a shoot last night that could have easily turned into a nightmare. I arrived during a thunderstorm, unloaded all my gear and immediately realized I forgot my 60mm macro lens that I usually use for food stuff :doh: I just said gently caress it, I'll use my 17-55 instead and started setting up in the dining area. As soon as I had my lights up, the chef (who is a rad dude and super chill) was like, "I'm really sorry, dinner service is getting too busy to shoot upstairs. Can we do this in the basement?" So long story short, I ended up setting everything up in a space about 2.5' wide behind the prep area using two aprons for a white sweep. I wish I'd taken a photo of the entire setup, it was pretty hilarious. Considering the cirumstances I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

edit with more web friendly images.

TACTICAL SANDALS fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 17, 2010

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

corkskroo posted:

Some peppers

That's a really nice shot.

The very shallow focus in most of the other pictures is hurting my eyes. I get that the background should be out of focus, but why do that to the subject of your photo as well ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
Digging this thread as I really want to learn the art of food photography - kudos to OP.

What kind of lighting do you guys use - I tried a bit in the schools studio yesterday, but the strobes mixed with a f/2.8 was obviously.. too bright.. Do you use mod-lights from the strobes or how does one go around this.

Also - my cooking skills are fine, but I just cant seem to put out pretty food, so how do you get into food photography?

• Locked thread