Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

LAchristus posted:

Nice pictures, like the feel of the two last especially. But whats up with the matcha drink, is than an egg on the side? Looks loving delicious though!

http://www.schonnemann.dk/

Check out this guy, a friend of mine represents him in London but he is Danish. His work is excellent. As far as I know he uses natural light almost exclusively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!

mysticp posted:

http://www.schonnemann.dk/

Check out this guy, a friend of mine represents him in London but he is Danish. His work is excellent. As far as I know he uses natural light almost exclusively.

Thanks, went to see him like six months ago, but he isn't busy enough to hire a student to work for him. But his stuff is really nice, it's stuff like his that really inspires me! Also, his studio is insanely nice, biiig windows (see the olive oil and spoon picture) - look like natural light on most yeah. But thanks for the heads up, it's appreciated!

Try and check Chris Court, he also has an impressive portolio.
http://chriscourt.com/

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Maybe we should create a thread about food photography instead of just posting on in this 'help' thread. Just putting it out there.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

LAchristus posted:

Maybe we should create a thread about food photography instead of just posting on in this 'help' thread. Just putting it out there.

Or if not then maybe a mod can just change the tag/title so what is in this thread doesn't get lost.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Latest picture, lovely sour Key Lime Pie! Recipe adopted from Paul Food, an amazing cookbook from Paul Cunningham - full of his hearty love for food, travel and family. And offcourse amazing pictures, socalled food portraits as printed on the cover. Tomorrow and the week I'm starting a longer "test period" with photographer Line Klein, I am so pumped about getting at it. We will work mostly with food, so I hope to learn a lot and maybe getting that internship.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

mysticp posted:

All this food makes me thirsty. This is some stuff I was doing today with a bartender friend of mine for his and my portfolio.

Nice job on getting the pour, but disembodied hand on the bottom is a little weird and competing with the glass.

quote:

What is cardboard "fingers"?

Just long thin rectangles of anything. Cardboard, diffusion material, black, white, gold, whatever. You can make pretty interesting light but just taking some thin strips of cardboard, make a "fan" out of them, and clamp it in place with a pony clamp right out of set to break up the light.

Here is a "dots and fingers" set, obviously you can just make your own.
http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/product/matthews_dot_finger_survival_kit/mw3001

Not really a 'food' shot but here's a fish, done with window light:

My dog ate the whole thing off the set when I turned my back... woops.

edit: also changed the title to be general food thread

brad industry fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 6, 2011

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

brad industry posted:

Explaining cardboard fingers

Have any of you ever used a kit like this? I can see why some nerdy high-end productions in super controlled envoirments would use them, but they just seem a bit overkill to me - or am I just a lazy rear end motherfucker?

Great with a new title to the thread! Don't eat him, shoot him! :commissar:

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Pretty much all studio people who do food or products have one of those kits laying around, they are very useful. For commercial stuff it is really, really detail oriented to a ridiculous level (generally you do 2-3 shots in a 10-12 hour day). Having fingers and dots let you do things like "take that tiny rear end highlight in the background down 1/2 stop".

Or like I said, an easy way to break up a big wash of window or strobe light in a more interesting/natural way.

What I personally do instead of spending $650 on every size and density available is buy one of the smaller kits (sometimes you can buy them individually) with just a few of the scrim fingers and dots and then just make your own flags (black foamcore) and reflectors (white foamcore, gold/silver foamcore). You just need pony clamps, C-stands, or one of those 'helping hands' things to position them.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 6, 2011

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Okay I see your point, but as you mention, then we are on pretty high-end shots, 3 shots a day makes for some pretty expensive shoots. But it's still a nice tool for those lovely highlights!

So your dog are an entire raw fish? Guess you forgot to him not to eat the hero.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

brad industry posted:

edit: also changed the title to be general food thread

Great thanks!

So I finally managed to set up a studio environment in my apartment. Bear in mind I live in a small one bedroom manhattan apartment, so space is at a premium, but I do have a usable kitchen. Now I can really concentrate on shooting more and more portfolio/stock stuff, no more sponging off downtime in restaurants. I literally just got it set up, so here is a couple of test shots with some stuff I had lying around.

I was about to make a tuna sandwich...

Then I ate an orange...

Now I need to get hold of some more plates and actually cook some food at home.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Great that you have gotten a set-up at home, and oh boy do I know how it is working in a small appartment - but is doable.

Great pictures, some comments though. I think its a shame that the bread overlaps the bowls, you loose the shape of it as they melt together. Give the mayo a stir, so that it looks homemade and not that 'out-of-tube' look. And what is up with the cool Batfork! On the orange shot I would try to use a reflector to control the mirroring in the fork a bit.

But I look forward to seeing some of your own productions!

LAchristus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 7, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

My dog ate the whole thing off the set when I turned my back... woops.

HAH! Nice fish shot, what is the background material?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
This weekend my apartment is a photo studio and I am cooking constantly. Lots of fun and I get to eat plenty of great food. Here are a few shots from today

I am going to turn these tomatos into a sauce, for a shoot tomorrow.

I was annoyed I cut the top off the strawberry, but I had to straighten the angle which meant I lost it.

This is inspired by a BLT shot in the current edition of Saveur magazine, I wanted to figure out how they did it and how to light it. Was a good exercise in tripod management and improvised trickery, not to mention got to flex some photoshop skills.

The finished burger was delicious!!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Nice to see that you are putting your new home studio to good use! Practice practice practice is key. However the first 3 pictures seem a bit rushed, with some minor flaws - like the strawberry. But when you have to cook youself as well, it's way harder, or I think so.
Generally I think you could brigthen the pictures midtones a bit, to me they seem a bit dark. I like it when food pictures really pops. For instance a white background needs to be white, and not some grey tone.

The burger shot however is really nice - and very funny! How did you do it?

For my own part, I got the internship with the photographer mentioned earlier! So after summer I will begin on my education to become a photographer! I'm super exited and can't wait to get started - getting paid to shoot and learn everyday - it's a dream come true! She just picked up some gigs with Noma and some other michelin restaurants, so that is going to be fun!

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

LAchristus posted:

The burger shot however is really nice - and very funny! How did you do it?

For my own part, I got the internship with the photographer mentioned earlier! So after summer I will begin on my education to become a photographer! I'm super exited and can't wait to get started - getting paid to shoot and learn everyday - it's a dream come true! She just picked up some gigs with Noma and some other michelin restaurants, so that is going to be fun!

Congrats on the internship, very cool.

The burger is basically a composite of the 5 elements, the hardest part was getting the perspectives right so it looks like they are one image and also shooting everything except the bun at the bottom with no sign of a shadow on the base - I used a small piece of clear plastic pipe to stand everything on. Then lots of photoshop time to clean it up and align everything.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

HAH! Nice fish shot, what is the background material?

Parchment paper

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I went to a Raw Bar the other day, and snagged a shot of an oyster. I wanted to focus on the detail of the caviar, but I think I went a little too shallow on DoF. I also wonder if this is the most appetizing way to showcase a raw oyster.

I'm also curious how to price photography for a restaurant. Normally with commercial work, you're worried a lot about things like usage and size and all that. However, I'm worried a restaurant that wants to showcase their food and use pictures in everything from menus to advertising would be turned off by a 10 page licensing agreement. How would you working pros out there approach this issue?

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I think the DoF if fine, it works because it's sharp on the caviar. Compositionally the fork/lemon is not helping, kind of a visual hurdle you have to get past to get to the oyster. I think if it were positioned to lead your eye to the oyster that would work better, or at least put it behind the food.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Here's my latest picture. It's again inspired from the book Paul Food - his smoked chantrelle chanterelle dish served in a patent glass (this however is a failed tea egg turned into something new).

I used daylight, cloned a lot and stacked another picture in for more smoke.

LAchristus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 18, 2011

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
I took this at the chocolate buffet on a cruise I was just on.

I like it, but I'm still new at this stuff. Feel free to give me tips and what not if you don't like it or think something could have been done better. The only post processing that has been done is cropping to remove something on the right hand side.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Chappy posted:

Okay, I'm going to be straight up. For you as a memory of a trip its spot on, but looking more professionally on it there are numerous things that is hard to overlook. The most important thing is the temperature of the picture, it's way to warm, the chocolate looks orange, and not brown as it should. The temp of the picture is very important, the food needs to look real and inviting.

Also the direct flash you used, is very rarely a good idea when photographing food. that again brings up the temp of the picture - the ambient lighting is one and the flash is another so they won't blend that well and can throw of your white balance.

The last think shows that its just a snap shot is the counter that covers the base.

Hope I wasn't to hard! For as a snapshot I like it, and I love big chocolate fountains like this - lucky guy!

robertdx
Mar 15, 2005

Lens slap
More homemade bread:

I know it's just a snapshot but I'm trying to get better with styling.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

LAchristus posted:

Okay, I'm going to be straight up. For you as a memory of a trip its spot on, but looking more professionally on it there are numerous things that is hard to overlook. The most important thing is the temperature of the picture, it's way to warm, the chocolate looks orange, and not brown as it should. The temp of the picture is very important, the food needs to look real and inviting.

Also the direct flash you used, is very rarely a good idea when photographing food. that again brings up the temp of the picture - the ambient lighting is one and the flash is another so they won't blend that well and can throw of your white balance.

The last think shows that its just a snap shot is the counter that covers the base.

Hope I wasn't to hard! For as a snapshot I like it, and I love big chocolate fountains like this - lucky guy!

No you weren't too hard at all. I don't ever plan on doing it professionally, but I want to get really good at it for my hobby. Thank you for the feedback.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

robertdx posted:

More homemade bread:

Well done, looks great. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the blown out portion of the lettuce, but the food looks great, composition is nice, and all the important food is in focus. Did you use multiple shots to get enough DOF, or was f/7.1 @ 100mm enough?

e: I guess the building bokeh would be more pleasant if it was all trees in the background, I like the green juxtaposition with the plate.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

robertdx posted:

More homemade bread:

I really like this, I don't think the styling is perfect, but the light and color balance is spot on so it makes me want to eat it. Which is the goal in food photography. I would probably crop out more of the green background to make the sandwich take up more frame space. For styling it would be nice to see more of the mayo, it's barely noticable.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Chappy posted:

I took this at the chocolate buffet on a cruise I was just on.

I like it, but I'm still new at this stuff. Feel free to give me tips and what not if you don't like it or think something could have been done better. The only post processing that has been done is cropping to remove something on the right hand side.

Aside from the comments above, there is something really funky about it. The color is like whoah and the look on the woman's face is also intriguing. Maybe not a food photo, but as a photo in general it definitely caught my eye.

We got a Canon S95 to take on the road and had the chance to test the hell out of it on a recent trip to Prague, Krakow and Vienna. I haven't had a chance to process to many of the shots from RAW yet and the Jpegs aren't that exciting but I did run this shot from a wurstelstand in Vienna at like 1am, no flash.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Just got a hold of Bills Basics by aussie Bill Granger. Its a really lovely basic cookbook and it features some amazing pictures taken by danish born Mikkel Vang. I just love the feel and tone of the pictures! It gives you inspiration and a new usefull cookbook all in one! ...Also its cheap.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

corkskroo posted:

Photo doesn't look very appetizing, but nonetheless I miss my weekly Currywurst and want one right now! :-(

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Cross_ posted:

Photo doesn't look very appetizing, but nonetheless I miss my weekly Currywurst and want one right now! :-(

You know it looks good as hell. I thought being able to get that shot in the middle of the night without flash was pretty good. Camera is a performer.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

It was food...

Beet soup by damnlamb, on Flickr

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Studebaker Hawk posted:

It was food..

Yum, I love beet root. I would probably brighten up the background, so it's closer to white - its sort of grey on my screen.

Here is my days dinner. The jpeg conversion had made them a bit flat and slightly darker though.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

So apparently I'm into saffron these days. So here are some swirls with saffron, butter and honey. I need to start collecting cool backgrounds, but where to find interesting ones?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I get stuff from fabric stores, you can get end cuts from rolls of really cool cotton material for next to nothing. Perfect for a table top and way cheaper than even the cheapest table cloth.

Also make double sided wooden table tops, paint them different colors, use sandpaper to age them, stain them, whatever. You can use really cheap wood as it's just for the shoot and not for a real table.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I did a shoot for this ultra modern restaurant in NYC on Sunday, these are a couple from the final edit. Their food is really out there, this is part of the dessert tasting menu - the total menu is up to 22 courses. Visually it's pretty much impossible to identify what the food is. It tastes good though!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
FYI...there's a free food photography workshop on Creative Live all this weekend: http://www.creativelive.com/courses/food-photography-penny-de-los-santos

It replays at night.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Dragonfruit has always intrigued me (vitamin water was actually the first time I heard of it). Turns out it is pretty bland, but still...pretty.

Dragonfruit by damnlamb, on Flickr

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

mysticp posted:

I did a shoot for this ultra modern restaurant in NYC on Sunday, these are a couple from the final edit. Their food is really out there, this is part of the dessert tasting menu - the total menu is up to 22 courses. Visually it's pretty much impossible to identify what the food is. It tastes good though!

Weird. Looks good, although an all-black background somehow bugs me.

Recently had the opportunity to have a pretty out-of-this world chef's menu at a restaurant in Prague. I know the pics are restaurant pics, not perfect, blah blah but the S95 did a nice job on location, I thought. Here are a few:

Their take on beef tartar, sandwiched between horseradish chips:

A trout amuse in white cabbage foam:

Smoked beef tongue:

Watching the chefs prepare all the intricate dishes was really a hell of an experience. I think we sampled over 20 different dishes. Very cool.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Normally my food snaps are just to tease friends on facebook, but I love how this came out. Shrimp pad thai with crazy chilis and extra peanuts. Apple tomato and rocket salad.

DSCF1292.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Seeing people call arugula 'rocket' makes me happy in a nostalgic sort of way. Reminds me of growing it in our garden in Georgia in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Occasionally I snap a quick pic when I break for a meal.
Rarely do they turn out anything even close to professional because I'm always so drat hungry that I don't have the patience to try and take a decent picture.

I'm actually kind of liking the snapshot-type pictures that result from my tummy's anger and impatience.

• Locked thread