Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
It looks pretty good but I wish the (beans with cheese?) and rice were in focus (focus stacking or tilt shift). The little reflection in the corner can/should be cloned out too. Maybe either pick out the green pea or put more in the rice so it looks intentional rather than accidental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazardous Taste
Aug 4, 2009

BlueGrot posted:

Beautiful thread. I recently picked up a 550D with a 1.8f lens for cheap and want to do some nice photos of food, but all my shots turn out under exposed due to lighting conditions, so the link with the diy lamp and soft box was really helpful. I also need to play a bit more around with DOF as 1.8 is too narrow.

You'll need to stop down and shoot at a smaller aperture than F1.8 to get a wider depth of field. Try something like F5.6 or smaller. To make sure your images don't become darker, you'll also have to decrease your shutter speed accordingly.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Shmoogy posted:

It looks pretty good but I wish the (beans with cheese?) and rice were in focus (focus stacking or tilt shift). The little reflection in the corner can/should be cloned out too. Maybe either pick out the green pea or put more in the rice so it looks intentional rather than accidental.

Only reason I went with a shallow DOF is because this particular shot was to promote taco night. Hmm. I agree with the rest though. I'll see if I can retake it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

somnambulist posted:

Only reason I went with a shallow DOF is because this particular shot was to promote taco night. Hmm. I agree with the rest though. I'll see if I can retake it.
Maybe you can ask them to plate it such that the taco becomes more prominent, like in the center or something.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

somnambulist posted:

food by francography, on Flickr

The bean blob in front is distracting and not too appetizing. Everything behind it looks great. It *pop*s :)

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Hazardous Taste posted:

You'll need to stop down and shoot at a smaller aperture than F1.8 to get a wider depth of field. Try something like F5.6 or smaller. To make sure your images don't become darker, you'll also have to decrease your shutter speed accordingly.

Yes, this is what I figured. My next plans will be a small lighting booth and getting my old tripod back.

With regards to the shot posted, I would use a narrower aperture as the angle and blurring of the food in front puzzles my eye. Saturation and contrast looks quite nice though.

Here's a test snapshot I did against some outdoor window lighting. I rarely cook when there's light outside so this is not often an option. Aperture was at f4.5 I believe, so I need to go narrower.

BlueGrot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 13, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
I'm actually attempting to launch a subscription based home delivery baking service, so I'll be doing a lot more food photography, as I have to mail out a week ahead of time the photos for the following weeks deliveries. Here is the week one blog post, and a few shots from it.

http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2011/10/week01-tri-chip-cookies.html

I did the packaging design myself (and the stamp/logo design)

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Omg that top photo is adorable! I really like all them though, the cookies look so yummy. Nice packaging too, creative.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
You always looked so scary and intimidating to me ... until now.

edit: oh ya, I really like the lighting on the chocolate chips and the logo. It's a great practical solution for an awesome logo or banner shot.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

You always looked so scary and intimidating to me ... until now.

edit: oh ya, I really like the lighting on the chocolate chips and the logo. It's a great practical solution for an awesome logo or banner shot.

I quite like the product shots, but I think the photo of you should be redone-- I do not want to eat cookies prepared by a man in flannel pajama bottoms, if I wanted to do that, I'd eat cookies I made!

e: Seriously though, the packaging is awesome as long as the end result stays beautifully unbroken.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

I quite like the product shots, but I think the photo of you should be redone-- I do not want to eat cookies prepared by a man in flannel pajama bottoms, if I wanted to do that, I'd eat cookies I made!

Hahaha, I was hoping they looked like Chef pants, because that's what I use them as.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

poopinmymouth posted:

Hahaha, I was hoping they looked like Chef pants, because that's what I use them as.

I would buy some real chef gear, pants, coat and wear clean black kitchen shoes, you can get some nice casual non pretentious style stuff (like a short sleeve chef coat) that will look great. I think it presents a more professional image, even though you are cooking in a home kitchen. Oh and nice kitchen!

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
A shot I have been working on for the back cover of my portfolio book.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Still taking a picture every day and I like to think I am improving. Since I also do the cooking and this is to eat right away I usually have less than 5 minutes. Sunlight is disappearing and I am still not happy with my lightbox, so hopefully I can fix that soon.

I know the layout of the plate with the prawn skewer is horrible and I messed up the focus of the first picture, mostly the top right, but any advice is more than welcome.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
The biggest issue is nothing to do with the quality of your photos but that because you are cooking this to eat yourself and you have less than 5 minutes to get the shot then you are really never going to get really satisfying results.

When I shoot for my portfolio some of the food might get eaten, but generally it goes cold and is eaten the next day or just thrown away. A single shot can take an hour to get right and multiple platings. Although on day long shoots I tend to have staggered invites of people to drop by for free food. This might sound wasteful but it means how the food tastes or smells is completely unimportant, which leaves how it looks which is the most important part of food photography.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I understand those are severe limitations to this approach if I want to reach professionel results, but with this I am not shooting for a portfolio or anything like that. The project is to take a picture every day I cook, to show what I prepared. It is more of thing I share with friends on Facebook and use as an occassional menu so my family can select what they want to eat by going through the pictures instead of thinking about it. If you ask people night after night what they want to eat they mostly draw a blank, but when you give them a bunch of pictures and ask them to select a few it becomes much easier.

With this subject I am a cook first, photographer second. However, just because it is not the top priority doesn't mean I don't want to improve the quality of the pictures. While I will keep hoping for pictures like I see in this thread, I know they can only be achieved by investing time that I do not have. Being very new to photography in general I was looking for advice that would fit within my approach, since I cannot change this at the moment.

The idea of inviting people to come over and eat while doing this on a day long shoot is a really good one. It would certainly give me a good chance to develop during the weekends. Thanks!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mysticp posted:

I would buy some real chef gear, pants, coat and wear clean black kitchen shoes, you can get some nice casual non pretentious style stuff (like a short sleeve chef coat) that will look great. I think it presents a more professional image, even though you are cooking in a home kitchen. Oh and nice kitchen!

I wouldn't wear a chef coat or something. Clean pants, an apron, and a t-shirt with your logo on it would work well, though.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

mysticp posted:

Right now the key is keeping cost down, but at some point I will do this suggestion.

And of course it's a nice kitchen, it's a gay guy's kitchen. :-P

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Did some food work today. I love how simple the best lighting really is. (Bare bulb bounced off a white wall with a reflector in this case)

Reignman
Jan 22, 2007

Custom Title Text
I have a food blog which I'd like to get some advice on. It's a food blog based on what I've eaten at restaurants and as I don't have a flash (nor would I want to disturb other people with it), I have to luck out on the ambient light. But my main issue is I feel my shots are becoming formulaic but any advice you guys can give would be useful.

This is my blog. Oh and following it if you enjoy it would mean a lot.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Here, have some turkey

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Reignman posted:

I have a food blog which I'd like to get some advice on. It's a food blog based on what I've eaten at restaurants and as I don't have a flash (nor would I want to disturb other people with it), I have to luck out on the ambient light. But my main issue is I feel my shots are becoming formulaic but any advice you guys can give would be useful.

I like your blog. The top down shot of your Japanese(?) breakfast is great and reminds me of what it was like when I visited Japan.

I use an RSS feed reader on my iPad, is there a way I can follow you using that?

Edit: Cool, I found the RSS button at the bottom, definitely going to follow you.

Reignman
Jan 22, 2007

Custom Title Text
Thanks for the feedback! I'm really busy at work recently, so updates will be very sporadic for a while, but hopefully I can post more frequently soon

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

More from my bakery blog: http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2011/11/week06-carrot-spice-cake.html

http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2011/11/week05-chocolate-overdose-cookies.html

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Awesome as always. I'm going to have to bookmark your blog, though, PIMM, because hveitiogsmjor is impossible for nonmoonlanguage people to remember on a new computer.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Nice pictures these cookies look delicious. You wrote about publishing a book in your blog, when will it be ready I am interested about it.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!

poopinmymouth posted:

Just checked out your blog - and no doubt about you being an awesome baker, bookmarked the hell out of it. But picture-wise you could be doing a bit better - if your really into food photography? It is pretty easy to make a lot out of food, and desserts sure do look amazing! Most importantly, add some more contrast! It needs to look more 'crisp'!

I learned a whole lot from reading Pixel to plate and it's just a great read for photographic newcomers.

The photographer I study with, just shot an award winning cookbook with her friend as chef. It rocks both pictures and recipes. Check it out! http://lineklein.blogspot.com/2011/12/sdt-sadan-er-nr-1.html

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Mmmm those cookies do look good, except the dirty fork is distracting, you could clean that up in a second. You should open international shop in the US! :D

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nonanone posted:

Mmmm those cookies do look good, except the dirty fork is distracting, you could clean that up in a second. You should open international shop in the US! :D

I noticed that, too, when I looked a second time...then I kept seeing it. :|

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Reignman posted:

Good pictures, nice and clean, brigth and crisp! I just need to tell you have jealous I am of all the food you are having.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

nonanone posted:

I am stuck with the dirty fork now...

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Food photography continues to be disgustingly difficult for me. How do these look as a set together?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I don't know much about food photography, but I like the first one the best. I think it may be due to me preferring the wood grain going vertical.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

As a set together, it would have been better if the wood grain was the same in all I too prefer the vertical grain.

The white balance is off. The first is slightly too warm and the last two are too cold. It should be more as the first, but I would make it a tad colder as well. If you can't get bowl to look white, just desaturate it masking out the rest. The same could apply for the background, to get it the right color (or lack of)

Lastly, I normally give food pics a hell'u'va lot of contrast, to make it look more crisp, fresh and clear. What I do is double the background layer, set blending to soft light. Then create a black and white layer, and change blending to soft ligth as well. Then I adjust the opacity of the layers until it feels right. Don't be scared to give it a good punch! If the extremes get either too bright or dark - just mask them out with a brush, starting at around 15%-20% opacity. Sometimes it needs to be almost masked out entirely!

EDIT: Also that big, is it parsley or coriander, leaf - to me it is just distracting, as I can't see it anywhere else in the dish.

LAchristus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 17, 2012

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
My wife is getting more comfortable with her new 5D and 50MM Macro:

RoastedGarlicHummus-10 by Crepes of Wrath, on Flickr

Bobx66 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 17, 2012

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

nonanone posted:

Did some food work today. I love how simple the best lighting really is. (Bare bulb bounced off a white wall with a reflector in this case)

I think these are very good and see your food photography as improving.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

LAchristus posted:

Just checked out your blog - and no doubt about you being an awesome baker, bookmarked the hell out of it. But picture-wise you could be doing a bit better - if your really into food photography? It is pretty easy to make a lot out of food, and desserts sure do look amazing! Most importantly, add some more contrast! It needs to look more 'crisp'!

I learned a whole lot from reading Pixel to plate and it's just a great read for photographic newcomers.

The photographer I study with, just shot an award winning cookbook with her friend as chef. It rocks both pictures and recipes. Check it out! http://lineklein.blogspot.com/2011/12/sdt-sadan-er-nr-1.html

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out. I'm not "really into" food photography, but anything I can do to make the food look better, is going to benefit my business. As long as it isn't food doctoring, I'm game. :-)

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out. I'm not "really into" food photography, but anything I can do to make the food look better, is going to benefit my business. As long as it isn't food doctoring, I'm game. :-)

Pixel to plate is not a food doctor book. It's more a "basics" photography book, where the subject is food. Also it's just very nicely written - making it so easy to read, understand and benefit from. I've had those "food styling" books and they suck! You don't need to spray and color the poo poo out of food to make it look delicate! :doh:

If you are making a book at one point - I've always wanted to see iceland! :banjo:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bobx66 posted:

RoastedGarlicHummus-10 by Crepes of Wrath, on Flickr

I think the limited depth of field isn't serving you well here. It's not a huge distraction, but it's also not a plus. I think this dish would be shown in the best light with a broader depth of focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

[/url]

Like torgeaux said, maybe a broader depth of field would be better. I usually don't go lower than 3.5'ish. And try and place the focus point at the front of the dish instead when using a large aperture.

• Locked thread