Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
That is the general sense of the feedback we have been getting. We just sold our 40d and we are going to put all of the proceeds into a tripod. Does anyone have a recommendation on heads? Also we need a tripod with a short minimum height as our shooting surface is like 18 inches off the ground. Any thoughts?

Can anyone show me some food shots where a thin DOF benefits the shot?

Thank you for the feedback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bobx66 posted:

That is the general sense of the feedback we have been getting. We just sold our 40d and we are going to put all of the proceeds into a tripod. Does anyone have a recommendation on heads? Also we need a tripod with a short minimum height as our shooting surface is like 18 inches off the ground. Any thoughts?

Thank you for the feedback!

190ProX. It has a minimum height of 3 inches I think.

Thin DOF is a way to manage the subject of the shot. You're emphasizing one thing with a technique that literally takes the focus away from everything else. If your subject is a plate of food, though, not a small item on the plate, you need to have it all in focus, or reasonably so. If the focus is an olive, then small DOF is ideal.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!

Bobx66 posted:

Here is works, because you don't need to see the ones in the back as much. It would only distract. Mostly in food pics we talk about one main focus, and that one object needs to sharp, to tell what it is. The others are there to create a composition. God I'm blabbering. I will go to bed now!

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

torgeaux posted:

190ProX. It has a minimum height of 3 inches I think.

Thin DOF is a way to manage the subject of the shot. You're emphasizing one thing with a technique that literally takes the focus away from everything else. If your subject is a plate of food, though, not a small item on the plate, you need to have it all in focus, or reasonably so. If the focus is an olive, then small DOF is ideal.

I would qualify this as saying that the hero should be front-ish and in focus, with an aperture that allows the rest of the plate to very gradually fall out of focus but still be recognizable. I want to see my seasonal veggies to look yummy and fresh, but I don't want them to distract from the freshly-caught fish by the competition of focus. All food photographs should have a hero (i.e. focal point). I'd recommend using a tilt-shift to throw your focal plane around in directions that aren't always parallel to the film plane.

Also, seconding the Manfrotto 190XProB, though I also like the 055XProB (it gets bigger :awesome:). If you have the money, I love hydrostatic ball heads, or even more money, Really Right Stuff or Acratech. Manfrotto is just a great manufacturer with a wide range of products. The short of it, I recommend whatever Manfrotto head you like that had a quick-release plate that fits your needs and shooting method and make sure it supports at least 2x the weight of what you're putting on it. 3-way heads and ball heads do basically the same thing, just in different ways.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Latest batch of pictures from a pop-up restaurant I work with.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Beautiful. Is the wood top from the restaurant or is it your prop? If its your's how did you get it to look like that?

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

Beautiful. Is the wood top from the restaurant or is it your prop? If its your's how did you get it to look like that?

Well thank you. My lighting technique isn't spot on, usually work with natural light, so this flash set-up didn't tickle my buttons completely. That is something I gotta learn in 2012!

It is a top/prob that I brought with me. It is a designer here in Copenhagen who makes them and it is actually cardboard that has been painted/printed/whatever and then with a thin coating on. My mentor (the photographer that I am studying under) and I are going shopping for new ones soon - I am all :woop: about it. I'm a loving nerd that way..

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

LAchristus posted:

Well thank you. My lighting technique isn't spot on, usually work with natural light, so this flash set-up didn't tickle my buttons completely. That is something I gotta learn in 2012!

It is a top/prob that I brought with me. It is a designer here in Copenhagen who makes them and it is actually cardboard that has been painted/printed/whatever and then with a thin coating on. My mentor (the photographer that I am studying under) and I are going shopping for new ones soon - I am all :woop: about it. I'm a loving nerd that way..

drat, do you have a brand or any more details? I would buy every single one that I could get my hands on.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

drat, do you have a brand or any more details? I would buy every single one that I could get my hands on.

Her "company" is called Ezenz, but her webpage doesn't tell much at all. https://www.ezenz.dk. Not to be a tease, here is a few more pictures taken on Ezenz backgrounds. Photoes taken by my mentor; Line Klein. Maybe you can find something similar where you are.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I really need to find some backgrounds like that in NYC. I am sure it's possible.

In the meantime some stuff I did yesterday. Been a while since I have had anything I can actually share here.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

mysticp posted:

I really need to find some backgrounds like that in NYC. I am sure it's possible.

In the meantime some stuff I did yesterday. Been a while since I have had anything I can actually share here.

This picture succeeds in it's duties soo bad :(

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

mysticp posted:

How do you style something like this?

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Subjunctivitis posted:

How do you style something like this?

It's actually not so hard to do. It's more about cooking it right than any specific styling - main deal don't overcook the eggs and make sure the kale and tomatoes are cooked to almost dry. Though I did make a smoked paprika oil to drizzle on the eggs and also cracked some black pepper which I carefully sprinkled on the eggs by hand.

Then it just needs to be shot quickly before the egg yolks lose their runny quality. I shot a few images with the dish intact and then a few with a large scoop taken out of the dish.

Another example from the shoot.

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate
I don't really do food photography, but love lurking in this thread. Some great stuff here.

I just started a low-carby diet/lifestyle change, so thought it would be good to document it once in a while. Brunch, today:

low carb brunch- feb. 6th by C. Wade Photography, on Flickr

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I shot this for an upcoming post on a discount food blog that my fiance and I occasionally post things on.

:barf:

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 7, 2012

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

mysticp posted:

pictures

Any reason why you use such an obvious vignette? Kinda feels like it is distracting, especially the one where the hands are all dark. Other that that, good pictures and good colors!

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

LAchristus posted:

Any reason why you use such an obvious vignette? Kinda feels like it is distracting, especially the one where the hands are all dark. Other that that, good pictures and good colors!

I just wanted to try it out, mainly to highlight the center of the dish and not have the hands be so distracting. Though I can see how it can work the other way. I feel it's of one of those things that seems to appeal to non-photographers and these images are specifically targeted at them.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

True that! But it works great on the last picture you posted. Gives it a certain drama/action feel - eye catching!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
My latest concoction, S'mores Cookies. http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2012/02/week16-smores-cookies.html

And raspberry pie bars. http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2012/01/week14-raspberry-pie-bars.html

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Do you deliver to the US?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

William T. Hornaday posted:

Do you deliver to the US?

Yeah... I'm getting ready to ask that too, haha.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

I personally don't like the bite taken out of a cookie; I'd rather see the full cookie. It looks great, though.

I think the pie bars have a little too much light; the details and color of the breading on top suffers for it.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

My latest concoction, S'mores Cookies. http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2012/02/week16-smores-cookies.html

Holy crap, yum!

I don't mind the bite out of the cookie, but it seemed a bit too closely cropped. What are you shooting with? It's probably a fairly wide lense.

Also give you pictures a kick of contrast! Especially the raspberry one is really really grey. There is almost no white in the picture or any black. If not contrast, then use Levels in photshop, and slide in the black/white, so the histogram goes from all black, to all white.

Do you deliver to Denmark? Please...

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shooting all of these with the X100 since I can't be bothered lugging a dslr everywhere, and the built in macro allows me to take closeups when I need to.

I tend to go light on the contrast because I feel it makes the food look less tasty.

I want to eventually deliver internationally, but still working on how.

I do have another photo with no bite,

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

hah, I sort of stumble into this thread out of boredom and now love and respect PIMM for more than just his photography.

I would be so fat if I lived in Iceland

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

poopinmymouth posted:

I want to eventually deliver internationally, but still working on how.

All your stuff looks amazingly delicious, but international delivery of those kinds of goods is going to probably triple your prices :(.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Franchise!

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yes please! Everytime I see a new cookie or pastry by PIMM I really want one and think "I should order some!". Then I remember that I'm on the wrong side of the ocean :(

Also I have thought about experimenting with the X100 for food shots since I also hate lugging my set-up around, and it's nice to see that it works out very well.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

All your stuff looks amazingly delicious, but international delivery of those kinds of goods is going to probably triple your prices :(.

I'm under no illusions I can deliver internationally cheaply. I have thought of franchising, but it's more in the long term, since I plan to build this up as a co-op, so franchises would be more like startups I'd help launch with trusted partners who would be fully autonomous but with access to recipes and planning help.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am really enjoying this venture, and especially how much of my other skills it lets me bring into the job.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I actually really like the raspberry pie bar because of its lower contrast. It makes the light feel really bright and also the food seem less dense and intense.

Much prefer the cookie without the bite taken out. I think it might just be the cookie style, bites look better to me when there are crumbs and stuff everywhere.

PIMM you could KILL it in NYC selling this kind of stuff. Artisanal food products are crazy popular here. If you ever get near a co-oping abroad PM me as I know plenty of people who would be interested.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

mysticp posted:

That looks frickin awesome. I want it for breakfast.

We've been shooting like crazy. I should gather a good selection.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Here are some more food pictures I took recently. You can see the rest of the series on my blog.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Where can I get that bowl :swoon:

Also is this another veneer?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gWOnImaHrqk/T1enJagZoAI/AAAAAAAAAac/SfR7Mh3Aoxc/s640/_MG_9509.jpg

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

It is from Japan. I got it from a sushi restaurant I worked at.

And it is not a veneer, it is an old wine barrel :)

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

LAchristus posted:

It is from Japan. I got it from a sushi restaurant I worked at.

And it is not a veneer, it is and old wine barrel :)

Hot drat, nice set piece.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

My girlfriend is going to culinary school in June, so I figure I might as well learn a new genre. She started baking some cream puffs late tonight, I slapped on my 105mm macro lens and took a few shots, still working on them now, will post more tomorrow. I think this is f/8, 1/125, ISO 400, flash bounced off the ceiling.

How does the PP look? I think my calibrator is busted.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

LAchristus posted:

Great stuff as usual, blog bookmarked, would bookmark again AAA+++++. Will you 'shop the reflection in the spoon away or just leave it? I guess it's not very noticeable or distracting to the average person though.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

red19fire posted:

How does the PP look? I think my calibrator is busted.

PP? Anyway on my screen it is really yellow, looks like it is in the oven. Next time I would go for a bigger aperture that 8, so that the focal plane only falls on 1, or 1 line of puffs. So that you have a hero - even tough they are all the same. And maybe a closer crop, so that you loose some of the distracting for- and background.

Looking forward to seeing the other pictures!

Thanks Ringo, happy to hear that! With a spoon as reflective as that I'll just leave it. I don't think that I am able to pull of shopping out. Usually I use old, worn and faded spoons, so that I don't have to deal with a crisp refelction like that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LAchristus posted:

Usually I use old, worn and faded spoons, so that I don't have to deal with a crisp refelction like that.

Oh, that's a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Ma Poule in here in Copenhagen serves the best sandwich with confit de canard! Had to try and take some pictures.. All natural lights and a camera. See the rest of the series on my blog

• Locked thread