Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
True that! But it works great on the last picture you posted. Gives it a certain drama/action feel - eye catching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

My latest concoction, S'mores Cookies. http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2012/02/week16-smores-cookies.html

Holy crap, yum!

I don't mind the bite out of the cookie, but it seemed a bit too closely cropped. What are you shooting with? It's probably a fairly wide lense.

Also give you pictures a kick of contrast! Especially the raspberry one is really really grey. There is almost no white in the picture or any black. If not contrast, then use Levels in photshop, and slide in the black/white, so the histogram goes from all black, to all white.

Do you deliver to Denmark? Please...

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Here are some more food pictures I took recently. You can see the rest of the series on my blog.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

It is from Japan. I got it from a sushi restaurant I worked at.

And it is not a veneer, it is an old wine barrel :)

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

red19fire posted:

How does the PP look? I think my calibrator is busted.

PP? Anyway on my screen it is really yellow, looks like it is in the oven. Next time I would go for a bigger aperture that 8, so that the focal plane only falls on 1, or 1 line of puffs. So that you have a hero - even tough they are all the same. And maybe a closer crop, so that you loose some of the distracting for- and background.

Looking forward to seeing the other pictures!

Thanks Ringo, happy to hear that! With a spoon as reflective as that I'll just leave it. I don't think that I am able to pull of shopping out. Usually I use old, worn and faded spoons, so that I don't have to deal with a crisp refelction like that.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Ma Poule in here in Copenhagen serves the best sandwich with confit de canard! Had to try and take some pictures.. All natural lights and a camera. See the rest of the series on my blog

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

That sure look appetizing, if only I could get my eye to focus on the food and not the toilet! :gonk:

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

We gonna see what you been up to lately mysticp :shobon:

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Evilkiksass posted:

Turn the plate, so it is not "sideways" - and fix the color so it isn't green.

Miso Beno posted:

These photos aren't anything particularly ground breaking or special but I thought I'd share them anyways.

Not bad at all. My eye is a contrast whore, so I would personally brighten them a bit, and had a soft light filter and lower the opacity. The main thing about your pictures are that they seem very crowded, and plates overlap each other - try and give it more space or have less things in each shot!

mysticp posted:

yummy stuff

As always really nice and clean! That open fire oven shot is incredible, I SO wanna eat a good italian pizza right now!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's cute but I think it would have been more effective with just one subject, right now it's just distracting because it's too strong an idea and it's ripping my attention away from the brownie.

Yeah seconding this - but hey, it's pretty creative you know!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

mysticp posted:

Especially digging the one with the hands! But it is fun doing shots like that, where you don't have time to plan and relax. Last weekend I shot at an event, that was completely candlelit.. Who does that to the photographer, seriously. And where is the 5D mk. III? I need the better ISO like yesterday.

But great pictures mysticp!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

BioTech posted:

If you like the shrimps but hate the celery, I think you might enjoy this one.

Almost there dude! The composition is a bit to centered for me and the spoons point the same way. And for me, a touch more of contrast.

Here is something I did the at saturdays pop-up restaurant. You can see the rest of the series on my blog, and also some other recent work.

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

alkanphel posted:

Nooooodles!

Nice pictures! To me they are somewhat 'flashy' and could maybe use some fill light to even it out a bit - but nice colors and all, super crisp!

Shots from the private dining experience with Rasmus Kofoed that I was booked to cover. (Yes it is the winner of bocuse d'or and headchef of Geranium). All the pictures are on my blog.
https://www.christonnesen.blogspot.com

The Last supper! A dining experience created by 1st year culinary students!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

mdtyson posted:

Beautiful shots, you captured the simple complexity of the dishes quite well. How did they taste?

They were super delicious, so clean in flavor profile! The shell on the 'razor clams' was actually some kind of filo dough that had been painted to imitate a real shell, so you could eat the whole thing! The best dish was the dessert though - made from beech. Beech jelly, beech granite, beech leaves and a creme anglais - yum!

LAchristus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 2, 2012

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

Good article on current trends in food photography and tips on how to achieve them: http://www.dessertsforbreakfast.com/2012/06/current-food-photography-styles-and.html

Maybe some of this could be addrd in the OP - really good read!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

mediaphage posted:

From going out for tacos the other night:

I like this a lot!

Here is some shots from last pop-up restaurant I attended. All shot with natural lighting!

There is more pictures on my blog:
https://www.christonnesen.blogspot.com

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Inspired by a foraging event I shot, I wanted to do a fictional case on black berry muffins. I am super happy with the result! And I got to shoot it on Hasselblad HD3 - holy gently caress I am on love..

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

mediaphage posted:

I just liked the tables my local coffee shop uses.

Ugh that coffee looks good!!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Inspired by Modernist Cousine!

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Happy to see this place come a bit more alive! I'd love to give people critique on their pictures, if it is a serious picture, rather than a documentation style photo - which there is a lot of in here. But if you did think about your shot and maybe styled it in some way, I would be happy to give my 5 cents.

Some of my reason shots:

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

With the chance of being voted out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

I myself am a commercial food photographer, and mostly I enjoy this thread. But I sometimes get annoyed with the amount of snapshots people post. Some people hate on people who instragram gorgeous food and adds a filter (and makes active choices and effort on how the make it look good). But in this thread a lot of people just post - what seems to me - rather random pictures of the food they just ate. If you wanna just show what you just ate, go to I bring a camera to the loving TABLE! (What did you cook last night?) in GWC

Don't get me wrong, I am not directly hating what has become the 'Reichstag' style - I would just love that this thread had more pictures where an effort was put into it! I myself would love to critique and help on the commercial stuff.

And I do think you can accomplish a mixture of the crazy art photo and the deliciousness that food photo can offer. And here is, what to me, is a legit proof of that.

http://www.gatherjournal.com/
http://reneriis.com/#/PORTFOLIOS/FOOD%202/1/thumbs

Maybe I just care to much about food photography..

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread