Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
It's a terrine in aspic. Terrine is any pâté or forcemeat-related food prepared in a loaf tin, basically.

As far as white balance goes, the warmer is nicer, though I'd back it off a little bit. And as others said, there isn't a lot of the charcuterie in those pics. You don't see what's in the bowl at all really, and you should definitely deepen the dof some. You might consider putting the rillettes in a much smaller bowl, piled up a bit.

Also the kale is entirely pointless and doesn't make sense either foodwise or visually. You don't typically eat huge swaths of raw kale with your charcuterie boards. Nuts, meats, bread, cheese, pickles, olives, some grapes...that's all you need. Maybe buy a few slices of prosciutto for the pic, but it isn't necessary. The bread is a little huge - consider buying a baguette and slicing it on the bias to get those nice, bite-sized ovals.

You should consider buying a couple of white dishes for doing shots like this - the brown rings aren't doing the food any favors. They're cheap, and you'd only need a place setting or two.

This sounds negative but I mean it's clear you can take nice pictures of food, you just need to work more on the arrangement and things, especially if your buddy is going to be using these shots as an example of what he can cook/make.

Edit: Here are some good examples of what you should be shooting for. A few of these have their own problems, but a big difference is that they mostly make the meat the star; there's no dof issues, etc.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Musket posted:

Those all look like the bad food photos ive seen in my Oma's Betty Crocker cookbook (1965).

Yeah I debated including the last one because it's not so great, but I was mostly showing a lack of kale. Some of the others aren't bad at all, sorry.

Musket posted:

The next leap in food photography is going to be the After shot. Takin photos of poops in toilets. With red/warm lighting, of course.

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Reichstag posted:

The only reason I want to upgrade to CS6 is that they claim to have improved CAF.

No Photoshop CC? :V

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Reichstag posted:

What am I, made of steady income?

Good point.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Sorry bout your lifetime of incorrect hotdogs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

This is awesome.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Puckin soup yo.

(VIA MAVICA)

SM are you secretly a cookbook photographer from 1962?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Did you cut the banana in half and then squeeze part of it out?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

REAKFAS COMIN

Regretting wearing the red t-shirt now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I really like the coffee here; it's the best I've ever had. The scones are mediocre, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I always practice safe banana.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dark chocolate.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Your eggs aren't cooked. :(