Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

corkskroo posted:

just gonna post a few more recent pics in case anyone cares. The one light bouncing off the ceiling thing is still in effect:

roman cheese bread ready to go in the oven

and done

a mexican-style shrimp "remoulade"

Julia Child-style gateau omni omelette

Is it just me or does the color temperature look strange? I'm liking the compositional improvement, but the color temp on all your photos keeps throwing me off. If you look at mysticp's and Brad Industry's photos, their color temperatures are dead on and that's huge for food photography. A slightly cool cast can ruin a great photo of a steak. A food photographer I work with has remarked that food can pretty much be a million tones of warm, but rarely ever cool. Also, don't underestimate the value of delicious, free natural light, so don't worry about spending poo poo-tons of cash on lights unless you actually really need it. I often find myself hauling about 400lbs of gear around for this photographer and we hardly ever use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007

torgeaux posted:

190ProX. It has a minimum height of 3 inches I think.

Thin DOF is a way to manage the subject of the shot. You're emphasizing one thing with a technique that literally takes the focus away from everything else. If your subject is a plate of food, though, not a small item on the plate, you need to have it all in focus, or reasonably so. If the focus is an olive, then small DOF is ideal.

I would qualify this as saying that the hero should be front-ish and in focus, with an aperture that allows the rest of the plate to very gradually fall out of focus but still be recognizable. I want to see my seasonal veggies to look yummy and fresh, but I don't want them to distract from the freshly-caught fish by the competition of focus. All food photographs should have a hero (i.e. focal point). I'd recommend using a tilt-shift to throw your focal plane around in directions that aren't always parallel to the film plane.

Also, seconding the Manfrotto 190XProB, though I also like the 055XProB (it gets bigger :awesome:). If you have the money, I love hydrostatic ball heads, or even more money, Really Right Stuff or Acratech. Manfrotto is just a great manufacturer with a wide range of products. The short of it, I recommend whatever Manfrotto head you like that had a quick-release plate that fits your needs and shooting method and make sure it supports at least 2x the weight of what you're putting on it. 3-way heads and ball heads do basically the same thing, just in different ways.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007

mysticp posted:

How do you style something like this?

• Locked thread