Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

One thing that's really easy to fix and keep an eye out for that can make food look terrible is the color temperature. Food just looks bad under the yellow-y light and it's a really easy thing to fix :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

~~**food**~~

This one probably needs a larger size, the top of the steak is in focus, but not the plate because it's a double cut steak and really thick.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

corkskroo posted:

whatevs nobody cares here's some breadstuffs

Your stuff has gotten a lot better, but I think they could do with some more context. The all-white thing works with some foods, but I think things like bread and stuff, could really do with some context. Maybe a wood table, or a basket, etc.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Also I can see the table is dirty and the edges are dirty, you should wipe that poo poo down. Super clean is one way to go, but I think a big part of ramen is context too, so maybe you can push it that way. Get a cute little kid slurping it down or something.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Omg that top photo is adorable! I really like all them though, the cookies look so yummy. Nice packaging too, creative.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Did some food work today. I love how simple the best lighting really is. (Bare bulb bounced off a white wall with a reflector in this case)

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Mmmm those cookies do look good, except the dirty fork is distracting, you could clean that up in a second. You should open international shop in the US! :D

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yes please! Everytime I see a new cookie or pastry by PIMM I really want one and think "I should order some!". Then I remember that I'm on the wrong side of the ocean :(

Also I have thought about experimenting with the X100 for food shots since I also hate lugging my set-up around, and it's nice to see that it works out very well.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Alternate take to what I posted on my new foodblog. Couldn't decide which setting fit more...

I like your foodblog. Much more like how I eat my foods (never at the table) and its something different, yet relatable.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Here's some glamour I guess.

Food sits there so pretty :3:

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Well, it's no "subverting the modern aesthetic of food photography" ...

But it was yummy anyways :) It's been interesting photographing restaurants with the sun going down so early lately, yet going for the sun-soaked look. Especially since I can only carry so much equipment with me.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Pretty! Is that an on camera panel, or a standalone?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I hate the majority of the low-fi food photos in this thread except the latest ones from Reichstag and maybe a couple other people. But I dunno, what do I know?

Also if you're going to thick crust it totally needs to be dipped in grease and double baked.

For all commercial food photography all looking the same a surprising number of people can't do it at all.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I think the line blurs at a certain level. As with any genre, people are chosen for certain cookbooks/ad campaigns/etc because of their artistic vision. Not to mention, you know, the whole pop/commercial art discussion in general.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Cut the guy in half, it saves the oven, and bonus nicely frames the interesting bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

1st AD posted:

I really like the one with the long and thin board and long dish, I'll try again in a few days with stuff like that since it looks nice and sleek. The other photos you posted just seem way too busy and the lighting is very flat.

What's the verdict on utensils? Universally a nay?

Depends on how busy the rest of the scene is. If its a tablescape, definitely useful, but if its a visually striking dish, utensils can distract. Keep your silverware clean though, and make sure it matches the style of the dish.

• Locked thread