Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
40oz
May 17, 2008

could have bought seven forties instead of this

corkskroo posted:

I'm abandoning the idea of getting a new lens. I want to improve the lighting first and foremost

Yes. I feel like food photography is way more about lighting than lenses. I would make some scrims and buy some clamp lights from Home Depot.

here are some links my lighting teacher sent out

[contains titties] http://photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00AQW1 [contains titties]

http://www.prophotolife.com/2008/04/22/technical-more-sticks-screens-and-bulbs/ you don't have to use wood like the instructions, PVC pipe and corner joints work alright and it's more portable as you can break it down. Ripstop nylon from a fabric store works great as a diffusion material as well

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/diylighting#introduction $75 lighting kit

40oz fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40oz
May 17, 2008

could have bought seven forties instead of this

corkskroo posted:

I just grabbed a couple of 100W "reveal" bulbs (which claim to be "full-spectrum") at rite aid and bounced one off the ceiling. I snapped this with minimal fussing. It's kind of over exposed but maybe heading in the right direction?
Yes, that's a pretty high key image, the black band at top is distracting, and there is a sticker on the lime, but its pretty good. I think once you play around with diffusion and alter the shadows you'll get more of what you're looking.

quote:

The other thing that drives me crazy is in Photoshop I have to selected view > proof colors every time I start on a new image and do a huge amount of levels adjustment or else the image comes out very faded when I save to jpeg. I swear I never used to have to do this. I trace this additional step to when I got my current samsung monitor. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll open an image, it'll look fine, and then if I "save for web" it goes to hell. I have to screw with the levels like crazy just to get it to look like it did coming off the camera. What's the proper proof setup setting for doing this work?
I'm not sure about this, I don't work digital enough, but:
I never use it, but I think "save for the web" minimizes file size and more importantly how many colors an image contains. This could be an issue.
Is your monitor color calibrated?

• Locked thread