Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Greybone posted:

How is this? Obviously not staged and more a spur of the moment thing, but I need to start posting more for feedback anyways :)

I do like the odd plate, and the bottle/glasses arrangement. The things that bug me are the camera tilt, the bland table runner, and the lack of good lighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

corkskroo posted:

Some peppers

That's a really nice shot.

The very shallow focus in most of the other pictures is hurting my eyes. I get that the background should be out of focus, but why do that to the subject of your photo as well ?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

LAchristus posted:

What kind of lighting do you guys use - I tried a bit in the schools studio yesterday, but the strobes mixed with a f/2.8 was obviously.. too bright.. Do you use mod-lights from the strobes or how does one go around this.

That sounds odd. I would assume the studio strobes to have manual setting so you can dial down the output power to 1/4 or something. If that's not an option, move the strobes away from your subject, or put neutral density filters in front of your lens. If the background does not matter you could also put your food in a light tent which will cut down the output a bit as well.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Please explain the sliced pots & woks. Those poor veggies are about to fall out.. not to mention the coals! :ohdear:

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

corkskroo posted:

Photo doesn't look very appetizing, but nonetheless I miss my weekly Currywurst and want one right now! :-(

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I am not seeing anything in the OP- are there any must-have books on food photography/presentation ?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

mysticp posted:

There are a number of books dedicated to food photography, the best one I have read is
http://www.amazon.com/Plate-Pixel-Digital-Photography-Styling/dp/0470932139/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308104501&sr=8-3
It is written by a successful food photographer and is also aimed at people who shoot on a low budget, so is full of useful ideas.
I take your word for it- just ordered it.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Hey, this food photography thing is fun. Can't wait to eat the hero..

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

somnambulist posted:

food by francography, on Flickr

The bean blob in front is distracting and not too appetizing. Everything behind it looks great. It *pop*s :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Here, have some turkey

• Locked thread