Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

I love the quirky sound effects to make it all kid friendly. But yea, once I saw a trick where they took a raw turkey, painted the skin to make it look crispy and then took a steamer wand to only cook the one section they carve open.

Has anyone else heard the Mitch Hedberg joke about gluing sesame seeds to the buns? "wtf is a sesame?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

brad industry posted:

Back in the old days of commercial food photography turkeys were commonly basted with motor oil to get a nice color.

Now that kind of heavy-handed styling is generally avoided as much as possible.

has it become an ethics issue? or does it induce too many legal troubles for people saying its false advertising?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

GrAviTy84 posted:

Slightly related to this thread, but I have no idea where else to post this. I was checking my flickr pro stats and noticed that epicurious.com used a picture of mine in an editorial. I never got asked for permission and I have CC-attribution-non-commercial-share-alike set on the pic. I don't really care if they use it, but I wouldn't mind getting some money for it since this is a commercial website (I believe?) and they did use it without asking/offering compensation. Is there anything I can do?

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2010/02/food-for-thought-consider-the-corned-beef.html

Edit: At least they did credit me, not by name though.

I think, since its CC attribution, they can use it editorially as long as they credit you.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Finally put a table by a window. Wife is the food stylist.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

mysticp posted:

I did a shoot for a private chef I know. It's amazing what 2 cooks can do in a tiny manhattan apartment. All this was shot off a cardboard packing box in one of the tiny bedrooms.

As always plenty of stuff from the shoot I am not happy with but it was a good feeling to be consistently getting the light right. I was adjusting my flashes without really thinking about it. Now to spend a week post processing all the images to get them printable.

If you're going to post such interesting looking stuff, you have to label it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I like the concept for the egg salad sandwiches. Seem hard to eat like that but look cool.

Does this look good?

Shrimp and Grits

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Why is food photography so freaking hard.

food-1211 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

chinese new year 2011 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

chinese new year 2011 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

LAchristus posted:

You're work is great, but what is this last green thing? Seaweed?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
That is awesome! Beer making is so much fun. Were you able to make some awesome portraits? I've always wanted to shoot in a room full of casks.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I need help, I want to sell the hell out of these bowls of ramen soup. Took some quick snaps to get an idea of how they would look, but next time I want to really rock it out.

The things I'm having trouble with is that everything seems to be too shiny, and coming up with interesting angles.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

mysticp posted:

Also go to amazon and look up the momofuku cookbook. There is a great shot of ramen in the preview you can see.

You are my hero. Thanks.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
You always looked so scary and intimidating to me ... until now.

edit: oh ya, I really like the lighting on the chocolate chips and the logo. It's a great practical solution for an awesome logo or banner shot.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Food photography continues to be disgustingly difficult for me. How do these look as a set together?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Reichstag posted:

I am holding this thread hostage, if my demands are not met, there will be a fourth consecutive post, then a fifth. My demands are simple; the total and complete abolition of glamour-style food photography, and a craft beer.

I'll take the challenge. In the meantime:

yumyum-0215 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

I enjoy this first one because. I think it would be stronger if there wasn't a shadow underneath the fish, so it could seem more like it was floating on top of the paper.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Excuse the shoddy cell phone pic, but I feel this is relevant to the conversation.

Breakfast frittata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

dinner

• Locked thread