Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I've sort of thrown myself into food photography since I work for a catering company and they can't afford to hire a professional every time they need some shots taken. The absolute biggest hurdle I've encountered is that in order to get a good photo you have to have food that looks good. Even then, not only does the food have to be presentable, but the plate, the table/counter/whatever, and whatever is in the background. I'm using a Rebel XT, the kit lens, a 50/1.8, and recently picked up a Tamron 18-200/3.5-5.6 and a 430EX-II Speedlite. As for lighting, I found this guy's videos extremely helpful the first time I tried to take any food shots http://www.youtube.com/user/prophotolife The single worklight pointed straight up works well enough, but I've gotten my best results with a diffused flash. You're off to a good start it seems. Although, the really narrow depth of field seems to be hurting some of your shots. They seem just a tad too out of focus to get some of the textures out of the food.

Here's some of the better shots I've managed to take. http://chrisbrennerphoto.com/food

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to try and answer them after work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Here's a few from an event I shot for work a few nights ago. I didn't really have a whole lot of space to work in or time to arrange shots, but these were a few of the better ones from the night. Any criticism would be welcome as my boss said that it looks like I'm improving, but I really felt like I had an off night.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Smidgen of Pidgeons posted:

My suggestion is that you use a big enough DOF to get more than just one in focus, since they are entire platters of food which were arranged purposefully.

I'd normally agree with you, but food magazines are full of photos with shallow DOF with only a single item on a plate in focus so that's what my boss likes to see. Next shoot I'll try and use a wider DOF in addition to the shallow shots though.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Quick snapshot after cooking dinner. I've been pretty out of practice lately, need to start shooting more.

• Locked thread