Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

poopinmymouth posted:

Ugg that egg is cooked so perfectly I feel so inferior as a cook. :-(

Some of these, the burger with pickle and pizza in specific, have too noticeable a light falloff from one side to the other. I know the layman doesn't put 2 and 2 together, but for someone who knows lights, that screams "artificial light" not a natural room or lighting situation. The pizza you could fix with a gradient adjustment in lightroom, but the burger probably needed a 2nd light, or the main to be moved.

I don't do the cooking for these, I think if I had to cook and shoot everything then I would probably go insane. It's enough to just set up the shot and tweak as it goes. The chef that does is incredibly talented.

Thanks for the lighting feedback, it was just one huge diffused light and a reflector to fill. The space I have to shoot in for this stuff is super small, there is only room for that setup. I have a second strobe just can't use it on most other shoots, but I will do some gradient fills and see how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

poopinmymouth posted:

Hahaha, I was hoping they looked like Chef pants, because that's what I use them as.

I would buy some real chef gear, pants, coat and wear clean black kitchen shoes, you can get some nice casual non pretentious style stuff (like a short sleeve chef coat) that will look great. I think it presents a more professional image, even though you are cooking in a home kitchen. Oh and nice kitchen!

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
A shot I have been working on for the back cover of my portfolio book.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
The biggest issue is nothing to do with the quality of your photos but that because you are cooking this to eat yourself and you have less than 5 minutes to get the shot then you are really never going to get really satisfying results.

When I shoot for my portfolio some of the food might get eaten, but generally it goes cold and is eaten the next day or just thrown away. A single shot can take an hour to get right and multiple platings. Although on day long shoots I tend to have staggered invites of people to drop by for free food. This might sound wasteful but it means how the food tastes or smells is completely unimportant, which leaves how it looks which is the most important part of food photography.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I really need to find some backgrounds like that in NYC. I am sure it's possible.

In the meantime some stuff I did yesterday. Been a while since I have had anything I can actually share here.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

Subjunctivitis posted:

How do you style something like this?

It's actually not so hard to do. It's more about cooking it right than any specific styling - main deal don't overcook the eggs and make sure the kale and tomatoes are cooked to almost dry. Though I did make a smoked paprika oil to drizzle on the eggs and also cracked some black pepper which I carefully sprinkled on the eggs by hand.

Then it just needs to be shot quickly before the egg yolks lose their runny quality. I shot a few images with the dish intact and then a few with a large scoop taken out of the dish.

Another example from the shoot.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

LAchristus posted:

Any reason why you use such an obvious vignette? Kinda feels like it is distracting, especially the one where the hands are all dark. Other that that, good pictures and good colors!

I just wanted to try it out, mainly to highlight the center of the dish and not have the hands be so distracting. Though I can see how it can work the other way. I feel it's of one of those things that seems to appeal to non-photographers and these images are specifically targeted at them.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
I actually really like the raspberry pie bar because of its lower contrast. It makes the light feel really bright and also the food seem less dense and intense.

Much prefer the cookie without the bite taken out. I think it might just be the cookie style, bites look better to me when there are crumbs and stuff everywhere.

PIMM you could KILL it in NYC selling this kind of stuff. Artisanal food products are crazy popular here. If you ever get near a co-oping abroad PM me as I know plenty of people who would be interested.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

maxmars posted:

Thanks for the thread. Inspired by it, I've had some fun shooting pics of my breakfast, thinking about going for something more elaborated (e.g. main course..).

Critics?

It's a great subject, lighting is good and colors are excellent, but there are a few things I would adjust.

The angle is weird, but I think it might be the perspective is distorted. Did you shoot this with a wide angle lens? I would have overall just shot the subject lower

Mainly though, work with the scene more. I get what you are doing with putting the berries on the table, but it's not natural, they just look deliberately put there. So have a container of each berry in the background and maybe find one of those old fashioned milk bottles and half fill with milk to be next to the milk glass. Maybe a cloth on the table, or some sort of place mat (a folded cloth napkin works well) and also something to eat the berries with.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

LAchristus posted:

We gonna see what you been up to lately mysticp :shobon:

For a new blog project

For this really interesting super modern, foraging based, restaurant in NYC

Same place

Same place

A new pizza restaurant which was some of the most fun I have had on a shoot in a long time

Same pizza place

Did a shoot for a Shake Shack feature

Tearsheet from feature

I have also been doing a lot more of this type of work, so it's not really so dish related but just restaurant/food industry type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!
Been shooting a lot of editorial stuff recently. Lots of fun and a completely different challenge when there is next to no decent light and mad deadlines.

The last shot I did get to use an umbrella for a bit of fill

• Locked thread