Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Glass Knuckles posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stzmHm6eF-0

Call me a rube, but I ain't never seen someone screw a pizza into wood before.

"I've done many cheese-pulls in my day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bobx66 posted:

My wife is getting more comfortable with her new 5D and 50MM Macro:

RoastedGarlicHummus-10 by Crepes of Wrath, on Flickr

I think the limited depth of field isn't serving you well here. It's not a huge distraction, but it's also not a plus. I think this dish would be shown in the best light with a broader depth of focus.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bobx66 posted:

That is the general sense of the feedback we have been getting. We just sold our 40d and we are going to put all of the proceeds into a tripod. Does anyone have a recommendation on heads? Also we need a tripod with a short minimum height as our shooting surface is like 18 inches off the ground. Any thoughts?

Can anyone show me some food shots where a thin DOF benefits the shot?

Thank you for the feedback!

190ProX. It has a minimum height of 3 inches I think.

Thin DOF is a way to manage the subject of the shot. You're emphasizing one thing with a technique that literally takes the focus away from everything else. If your subject is a plate of food, though, not a small item on the plate, you need to have it all in focus, or reasonably so. If the focus is an olive, then small DOF is ideal.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Reichstag posted:

The theme is almost too simplistic. I'd like to see something that isn't JUST center composition with stark compositional contrast.

• Locked thread