Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

somnambulist posted:

I'm having an issue with granola, it just doesn't look sharp in pictures. I'm not sure what it is about the texture, but it doesn't look right. Here's an example. Any ideas?

Shooting bright light directly into the lens creates flare and reduces contrast. You want side light to reveal the texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Why is food photography so freaking hard.

food-1211 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

chinese new year 2011 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

chinese new year 2011 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

You need more direction for your lights, it's a bit too even right now.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

brad industry posted:

My dog ate the whole thing off the set when I turned my back... woops.

HAH! Nice fish shot, what is the background material?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Normally my food snaps are just to tease friends on facebook, but I love how this came out. Shrimp pad thai with crazy chilis and extra peanuts. Apple tomato and rocket salad.

DSCF1292.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

mysticp posted:

Ugg that egg is cooked so perfectly I feel so inferior as a cook. :-(

Some of these, the burger with pickle and pizza in specific, have too noticeable a light falloff from one side to the other. I know the layman doesn't put 2 and 2 together, but for someone who knows lights, that screams "artificial light" not a natural room or lighting situation. The pizza you could fix with a gradient adjustment in lightroom, but the burger probably needed a 2nd light, or the main to be moved.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

I'm actually attempting to launch a subscription based home delivery baking service, so I'll be doing a lot more food photography, as I have to mail out a week ahead of time the photos for the following weeks deliveries. Here is the week one blog post, and a few shots from it.

http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2011/10/week01-tri-chip-cookies.html

I did the packaging design myself (and the stamp/logo design)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

I quite like the product shots, but I think the photo of you should be redone-- I do not want to eat cookies prepared by a man in flannel pajama bottoms, if I wanted to do that, I'd eat cookies I made!

Hahaha, I was hoping they looked like Chef pants, because that's what I use them as.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

mysticp posted:

I would buy some real chef gear, pants, coat and wear clean black kitchen shoes, you can get some nice casual non pretentious style stuff (like a short sleeve chef coat) that will look great. I think it presents a more professional image, even though you are cooking in a home kitchen. Oh and nice kitchen!

Right now the key is keeping cost down, but at some point I will do this suggestion.

And of course it's a nice kitchen, it's a gay guy's kitchen. :-P

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

More from my bakery blog: http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2011/11/week06-carrot-spice-cake.html

http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2011/11/week05-chocolate-overdose-cookies.html

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

LAchristus posted:

Just checked out your blog - and no doubt about you being an awesome baker, bookmarked the hell out of it. But picture-wise you could be doing a bit better - if your really into food photography? It is pretty easy to make a lot out of food, and desserts sure do look amazing! Most importantly, add some more contrast! It needs to look more 'crisp'!

I learned a whole lot from reading Pixel to plate and it's just a great read for photographic newcomers.

The photographer I study with, just shot an award winning cookbook with her friend as chef. It rocks both pictures and recipes. Check it out! http://lineklein.blogspot.com/2011/12/sdt-sadan-er-nr-1.html

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out. I'm not "really into" food photography, but anything I can do to make the food look better, is going to benefit my business. As long as it isn't food doctoring, I'm game. :-)

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

My latest concoction, S'mores Cookies. http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2012/02/week16-smores-cookies.html

And raspberry pie bars. http://hveitiogsmjor.blogspot.com/2012/01/week14-raspberry-pie-bars.html

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shooting all of these with the X100 since I can't be bothered lugging a dslr everywhere, and the built in macro allows me to take closeups when I need to.

I tend to go light on the contrast because I feel it makes the food look less tasty.

I want to eventually deliver internationally, but still working on how.

I do have another photo with no bite,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

All your stuff looks amazingly delicious, but international delivery of those kinds of goods is going to probably triple your prices :(.

I'm under no illusions I can deliver internationally cheaply. I have thought of franchising, but it's more in the long term, since I plan to build this up as a co-op, so franchises would be more like startups I'd help launch with trusted partners who would be fully autonomous but with access to recipes and planning help.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am really enjoying this venture, and especially how much of my other skills it lets me bring into the job.

• Locked thread