Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

powerful weedlock posted:

The hellcore off of the hellmoo.org website is actually pretty feature-complete. I think you would have to rewrite a lot of the RPG system if you wanted to keep a HellMOO feel with the status bars and GURPS and poo poo. I never looked too deeply at it.

I'm not sure about the GURPS stuff, but you do keep the graphical meters I think. If they exist they're on $meter_utils. The hellcore on hellmoo.org really does offer a better starting point than most, the only downside being you need to learn/know MOOcodes and the moocodes involved to really get going. For reference Wayfar has been in progress for nearly 3 years now, and HellMOO has been in development for over 9 years.

edit: Memories: for the first several months Wayfar was me, my demo truck the 12T-LL, and square maps. Oh yes, and I was simulating plant growth, so corny grass covered the square maps in all directions.

Progress on Wayfar 2/Wayfar client: 0%! I did get a rough demo SDD written and investigate a few dozen different databases and 2d libraries, and create the most basic of perlin planet generators on the node side of javascript.

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

A very uneducated question: what would be the big differences between starting with a base of LambdaMOO vs. HellCore? Which is to say, what (independent of all the HellMOO specific stuff) does HellCore offer over Lambda?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Amante posted:

A very uneducated question: what would be the big differences between starting with a base of LambdaMOO vs. HellCore? Which is to say, what (independent of all the HellMOO specific stuff) does HellCore offer over Lambda?

A lot more game is present in Hellcore (there is no hellmoo specific content), there are player creation routines, utilities of a broad variety, stuff like that. LambdaMOO has none of that (not even color, you'll need to patch in ANSI support).

Now keep in mind a more recent lambdamo fork, http://stunt.io is available and probably a lot better. But it's still blank without any utilities or game loops, game objects, etc.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

HellCore also has some baser-level additions, such as hash support.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is no core support to make Dagon not suck at MOOcode, though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

There is no core support to make Dagon not suck at MOOcode, though.

Seraph never got around to patching that in.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

If you're looking for a mature mudlib to start developing on, FluffOS could also be something to consider: it is the open source version of the Discworld mudlib running MudOS.

I still think Discworld's parser for example is the best I've seen in any MUD, and I used to play many MUDs (and created on DW).

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

Minsky posted:

If you're looking for a mature mudlib to start developing on, FluffOS could also be something to consider: it is the open source version of the Discworld mudlib running MudOS.

I still think Discworld's parser for example is the best I've seen in any MUD, and I used to play many MUDs (and created on DW).

Hands down. That parser is a thing of beauty. FluffOS still has a lot of development going on as well, and with intermud chat channels you can get support for weird things that may come up.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Me and my group of dorks moved to a new MajorMUD server: BBS4.Skullopoly.com http://skullopoly.com/BBS4.htm Good population (around 40 usually), but more importantly this population is active and fighting. I was killed by a druid my second night of scripting. Server reboot was in November so most people are still low to mid levels and contesting the hot spots. Scripting at slime beast is just begging to be hung currently. I recommend it if you have any interest in MajorMUD scripting.

Rabbi fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 19, 2014

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Are there other old t2t players around?

I played there actively between 1995 and 2010

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I don't, but it looks vaguely interesting. Tell us more about it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

So... who wants to host this copy of hellcore for me?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Funkmaster General posted:

So... who wants to host this copy of hellcore for me?

I use an nfoserver VPS with 2gb of RAM. Once wayfar was running I just figured I'd be paying for it until my death in 2017 (computer electrocution). You might want to try an amazon free instance VPS - with a new hellcore you won't have all the RAM overhead I need for wayfar.

Speaking of wayfar we've added a fair chunk of new content and some basic improvements to AI and menus, etc. I highly encourage people to check it out and also volunteer as programmers, where you can enjoy the highly stratified permissions system until you become insane enough to qualify for wizard :)

While I was typing this I came up with some good ideas for new MUDs/MOOs:

* a team based brawler where you rank everybody because they looked at you weird
* a puzzle game where you go on a heist with extra-dimensional entities - but like, it's totally atmospheric
* a real-time strategy game where you associate gems without blinking
* a student project where you stop breathing if you don't hug robot zombies and you can summon a variety of animals

basp
Feb 24, 2011
At this point I seem to be the only one launching surface strike missiles at unsuspecting targets in Wayfar1444. This is not right. I am supposed to be the good guy.

There seems to be a general unwillingness grab/destroy each others stuff so I'm just cruising/flying around in whatever vehicle I can craft up and do great science by testing out various weapons on different types of buildings built by random strangers.

At this moment, my factory is pumping out scores of boxes of 25mm grenades for my personally crafted gatlers with beautiful (also personally crafted high quality) barrels. I got the actual gatler weapons crafted and loaded up to my vertibird (basic aircraft) and next I'm about to deliver justice to the lands around me.

May your rockets rain down on me soon, I salute you.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

These and similar stories make all the text worthwhile :3:. That and the star trek markovs (available on TV channel STARJERK), of course

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Well, this brings back some memories. I played a few mostly sci-fi MUD/MOO/MUSH's when I was young. Started with Federation on AOL (not Star Trek related), then Merchant Wars, Merchant Wars II, Star Conflict (SC) and finally Galaxy Web Stellar Epoch (GWSE). I gave up on MUDs shortly after GWSE.

Regarding GWSE: I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person who held such opinions of the game. It was a great concept, but there were just too many admin shenanigans. I try to believe they were just trying to drive content, but it seemed to go too far. There were a number of occasions I had devs pop in and ask WTF my crew and I were doing only to nerf it a short time later or have their player-char-admin-ran-club appear and ruin our fun. SC had similar issues before they closed that down the first time.

I think one of the things I both miss and hate about MUDs (at least the ones I played) was the smaller player base. It was like a small town; Everybody knew each other to some degree and were cordial when around each other, but as soon as they left the game the rumors and poo poo talk started flying.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

TracerM17 posted:

Well, this brings back some memories. I played a few mostly sci-fi MUD/MOO/MUSH's when I was young. Started with Federation on AOL (not Star Trek related), then Merchant Wars, Merchant Wars II, Star Conflict (SC) and finally Galaxy Web Stellar Epoch (GWSE). I gave up on MUDs shortly after GWSE.

Regarding GWSE: I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person who held such opinions of the game. It was a great concept, but there were just too many admin shenanigans. I try to believe they were just trying to drive content, but it seemed to go too far. There were a number of occasions I had devs pop in and ask WTF my crew and I were doing only to nerf it a short time later or have their player-char-admin-ran-club appear and ruin our fun. SC had similar issues before they closed that down the first time.

I think one of the things I both miss and hate about MUDs (at least the ones I played) was the smaller player base. It was like a small town; Everybody knew each other to some degree and were cordial when around each other, but as soon as they left the game the rumors and poo poo talk started flying.

I rather like the new SC as a whole, though I think it has some niggles for me. I think the hosts are a bit better than that but they do like doing little random things quite a bit. And yeah, muds in general will have a crazy dramas.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

The hellcore off of the hellmoo.org website is actually pretty feature-complete.

nope

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Funkmaster General posted:

HellCore also has some baser-level additions, such as hash support.

hey retard stop playing xbox and start helping me get wizardlands going
i have a website u know. i'm like, half way there to a baller game.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Smarmy Coworker posted:

hey retard stop playing xbox and start helping me get wizardlands going
i have a website u know. i'm like, half way there to a baller game.

I logged in a few days ago and everyone was like a week idle.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
yeah well youve been idle since october mother fucker
but i'm starting poo poo up again

http://blog.wizardlands.net get with it :cool:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Smarmy Coworker posted:

stuff.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
give me 40 mintues

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Okay. I'm gonna go finish something up IRL, in that case. If I'm idle when you get on, I'll be back shortly.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

F your legs, robot

Planet surface & overly bracketed status readout (bracketed twice for your protection)

Clickable property setting interface IF you use mushclient, and mushclient only

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 2, 2014

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

gently caress the ROW posted:

I use an nfoserver VPS with 2gb of RAM. Once wayfar was running I just figured I'd be paying for it until my death in 2017 (computer electrocution). You might want to try an amazon free instance VPS - with a new hellcore you won't have all the RAM overhead I need for wayfar.

Speaking of wayfar we've added a fair chunk of new content and some basic improvements to AI and menus, etc. I highly encourage people to check it out and also volunteer as programmers, where you can enjoy the highly stratified permissions system until you become insane enough to qualify for wizard :)

* a team based brawler where you rank everybody because they looked at you weird
* a puzzle game where you go on a heist with extra-dimensional entities - but like, it's totally atmospheric
* a student project where you stop breathing if you don't hug robot zombies and you can summon a variety of animals

an expensive kickstarter alpha where you write about fashion designers to stop a meteorite

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

Smarmy Coworker posted:

If you ever have a need for it I have a lithium web host (goon ran) that's not going anywhere..
In case you need some free hosting that's not on tumblr.

Crux
Apr 9, 2007

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Sorry.
So, it's been a while since I posted in this thread. And really, it's regarding the same thing: UOSSMUD.

It's had a lot of major revamps lately. Many classes have been rebuilt from the ground up. Sorcerer is no longer the end-all king of damage. A lot of the ridiculous and overly restrictive rules have been slacked to the core. A lot of it has to do with the previous admin stepping down and leaving someone new in charge.

The game as it is today looks almost nothing like it did last year. Between story missions, the equipment recode revamp, and current and ongoing projects to rebuild various classes to make them enjoyable, it is basically a different game from what many of you might remember.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Crux posted:

So, it's been a while since I posted in this thread. And really, it's regarding the same thing: UOSSMUD.

It's had a lot of major revamps lately. Many classes have been rebuilt from the ground up. Sorcerer is no longer the end-all king of damage. A lot of the ridiculous and overly restrictive rules have been slacked to the core. A lot of it has to do with the previous admin stepping down and leaving someone new in charge.

The game as it is today looks almost nothing like it did last year. Between story missions, the equipment recode revamp, and current and ongoing projects to rebuild various classes to make them enjoyable, it is basically a different game from what many of you might remember.

I jumped on my 111 Dark Knight and, after having a poke around, instantly got shitcanned by one of those self-destructing bomb-guys on the lunar surface. He blew himself up, which set off my retort, which set off another self-destruct. drat.

I totally forget what the heck to do in this. I lost most of my good poo poo in the eq recode anyway.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Loved UOSSM, Played it over the course of like 11 years but never got very far. May pick it up again. Is all the qinfo the same? I have a gigantic file with everything in it, and if it was all changed I think that's what would keep me from playing, since that stuff was bullshit.

Crux
Apr 9, 2007

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Sorry.

Garfu posted:

Loved UOSSM, Played it over the course of like 11 years but never got very far. May pick it up again. Is all the qinfo the same? I have a gigantic file with everything in it, and if it was all changed I think that's what would keep me from playing, since that stuff was bullshit.

A lot of the things that were considered qinfo are no longer. There have been a few quest recodes, but nothing major or insurmountable.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I might hop into USSOMUD. Is there any sort of group/clan type of thing?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

nucleicmaxid posted:

I might hop into USSOMUD. Is there any sort of group/clan type of thing?

Doubtful, it's dead as heck most of the time. If you could wrangle some kind of adorable newbie troupe, it would probably make the early game a little less painful, but there's nothing super unique to really draw much of a crowd. I haven't played many of the old games I used to, lately, I wonder if they're all slowly going dark.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The Icesus goons are playing again, if people want to look for us.

Look for -

Kaltan
Nydur
Imrael
Kerral

I think those are the frequent players with channel invite privileges.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll play again. If I can remember what my name was. Probably Vaylent.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Crux posted:

My sorcerer :negative: Now I'll never finish Magitek or Grandleon.

Kasan
Dec 24, 2006

gently caress the ROW posted:

I've got a spare linux machine that isn't doing anything except being used to tinker with ResortMUD or ROM Code bases when ever I get a hanker'n to relive my glory days. I don't mind giving out a couple shell accounts if you're seriously wanting to fiddle with a mud with out spending a penny.

Of course if the logs show you're doing illicit things on/from my home network I might be a little miffed.

Spec's aren't anything to write home about (P4 1.4 / 1 GB ram) but since I don't use it for anything other than hobby coding, I don't really care if you spring a memory leak or something.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

There's a new thread for MUDs in TradGames now. It's written more for the elfgamey/roleplay side of things rather than the technical side.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hey guys

I was browsing around some MUD sites and stumbled onto this. They are offering free character rerolls in MUME during July 2014.

quote:

During this July you will be able to claim up to five Full Rerolls per
account. The only requirement is that a character is retired (it does not
matter if you are already retired on 1st July or do it on 29th of July). You
decide how to use those rerolls - one character five times or five once each.

Too bad I never played there. Maybe i'll roll up a character one of these days and check it out. Are there any active goons in MUME currently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Wayfer:

tune tv to starjerk posted:

Troi [to Wesley Crusher]: mother's psyche has collapsed in on itself. That for some reason, she has opted for the child and the families on board about six weeks ago, during the past few days, I could not risk bringing guards. I cannot reveal that. I was brushing My hair. I don't think that your feelings can carry consequences that are endemic to gender. human males are unique. Fathers continue to regard their sons as children, even into adulthood. the experiences are unique to each other. time well spent.
Kirk [to Wesley Crusher]: Spock's station for decode, Lieutenant.
The computer [to kirk]: A lot sooner than you think. Warning. Last chance to be A winner.
Worf [to kirk]: been rewriting Klingon history.
Q [to kirk]: Human, You have no idea. Why don't We play a little game?
Bones [to Troi]: ..human characteristic to love little animals, especially if they're still alive.
The computer [to Q]: three Four seven authorisation required to access files. Security authorisation required. Computer on. identify self. voice Pattern matches, but I can't Do that. would you like to proceed, sir. nineteen hours, twenty eight proceed to Transporters fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, nineteen and twenty.

• Locked thread