Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

phractured posted:

Wow thanks. I had no clue such a thread existed. Also, I am off to see Pretty Lights, RJD2, and Chiddybang (meh) tomorrow night and I am pumped. Terminal 5 gets some really good shows in NYC.

i've missed two opportunities to see pretty lights live and both times my friends who went said i was probably better off. which is weird cause i love pretty lights and can't see how he'd put on a boring live show unless he only played his down-tempo stuff (Which, judging from videos i've seen of him play live, he doesn't).

RJD2 is great live...if he sticks to a DJ set. if not...hoo boy, get ready for a painful hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
so JFK is doing a show in Charlotte next friday...is he worth a road trip?

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

phractured posted:

Pretty lights was great, but there were tons of bros at the concert for chiddy abng and they ruined RJD2. I had never seen a fight at an electronic concert until some shithead laxbro started 3 fights tonight.

RJD2 was a brofest when i saw him too and yeah, come to think of it the only time i've ever seen multiple fights break out at an electronic show. some guido dude almost kicked my rear end for "blocking his shorty girl" (who was probably half my height and easily could have just moved to the side or something).

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

incoherent posted:

Hearing Boys Noize drop this at EDC might persuade me to go. Maybe.

from what i hear he's amazing live but he rarely ever drops his remixes.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

phractured posted:

I know this may be a dumb question, but hopefully that bit of self deprecation will redeem me? Anyways, what are artists doing on their computer during a DJ set? Are they mixing on stage? I know RJD2 rocks his MPC, other artists have that 16x16 board of buttons, and some artists still use vinyl. What are the rest of these DJs doing? Did they just make a mix and play it from their computer or what?

RJD2 doesn't use laptops, he does straight vinyl.

most djs use ableton live or serato, depending on what they're doing. if they're using a table/mixer setup, there's a pretty decent chance it's serato while if it's more of a controller setup they're probably using ableton. and yes, they are mixing on stage. everyone does it differently though.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
RUBBER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYgPxr62Yu4

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Furnace posted:

Holy gently caress, have you seen some of the EDC footage on youtube of the loving BRILLIANT fence rushing?

warning, there is some bloodcurdling screaming that eventually gets bloody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IiMAu9qaZE

That poo poo is so disgusting, what a clusterfuck.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
This whole Deadmau5 vs. Rusko twitter beef is so loving retarded it makes me want to kill something. Deadmau5 is a little bitch for getting pissy about someone smoking weed backstage during his set, and Rusko is a little bitch for letting the outlet for his rage be a loving spam of poorly-woorded tweets. The end, can we please stop arguing over a loving producer for the 10000th time and just post some tracks?

I also fully support the idea of a Deadmau5 thread by the way.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

MTM_F- posted:

electro house apparently

yeah you don't really see many people smoking blunts and listening to boys noize

other than me of course :smug:

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
OF COURSE Justice is falling off the radar, they haven't released an album or really any new material in two years (that's if you count Planisphere, which I personally think is loving AWESOME) and they play live sets with virtually the same songs everytime (correct me if I'm wrong, I've never actually seen Justice). But even then I still think they've maintained a level of popularity that's pretty shocking considering what little they do.

Also I hope I don't sound like I'm dissing Justice or anything cause I think Cross is one of the best albums of all time and would probably suck Xavier and Gaspard's dick at the same time if given the option.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
My biggest question over the Deadmau5 collapsing mid-performance fiasco is whether or not the music stopped when it happened.

VenomHowell posted:

But I heard from (I think) Their 'Essential Mix' on BBC Radio that they prerecord their shows for the most part and just do minor tweaking and effects live.

Yeah, this isn't mentioned at all in their mix. They use turntables and serato so it'd be pointless for them to just prerecord a set with that kind of software.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Edelweiss posted:

Seems like most DJs/artists whatever around here use Ableton. I've used both it and Reason and can't really commit to either. Ableton is king for samples and sequencing, but Reason seems better for constructing the base sounds. I know Reason's instruments can be chained into Ableton and have done so, but you lose out on being able to sequence all the dials and subtracks and so on, and it's a pain to deal with the two program setup.

edit: Probably should have posted in the musician lounge... I never post around these parts.

I have an Axiom and it's buttons and sliders can be used to gently caress around with all the synth stuff from Reason, even when it's rewired through Ableton. And even without it, it's really not THAT much of a hassle..

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

OniKun posted:

People in Santa Cruz think deadmau5 is the paragon of Electronic music, so I can see why that happened. I thought going to UCSC would bring me closer to people with good tastes in music...

Boo hoo you live in an area where every loving electronic musician ever plays your life is so loving hard.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

OniKun posted:

Whoa, didn't think I was inciting that much anger over that comment. Apologies.

Try going to a show in Santa Cruz, though - it's filled with fourteen year olds on ecstacy, gangsters selling heroin, and confused college freshman. It's a pretty funny mixture. Also all the good electronic shows are fourty five minutes to an hour away in San Fran, we just get local DJs (who aren't half bad though), a bunch of rich college kids "mixing" dubstep, and the occasional big electronic name at the main club (Bassnectar last February... still regret missing that, and Benassi in a few weeks).

haha no hate dude, I was just making fun of you out of jealousy, since the closest electro acts we get down here are usually at least three hours away. Asheville has a pretty decent dubstep scene but the closest guy we got to electro is the man who should not be named for fear of two pages of bitching.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

trill rear end posted:

this is an amazing troll.

I've met people who have no idea who Justice is. It's confusing and kind of sad but yeah, they exist.

You all should do yourselves a favor and check out Fukkk Off. His mix on OMG It's Techno Music is wonderful.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

RollingBoBo posted:

so who's going to the bloody beetroots show in montreal

I'm very tempted to go to the NYC show. Very, very, very tempted.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

incoherent posted:

If its the live band go.

Yeah some of my friends saw them at Ultra and said it was the best show of the weekend hands down. And I mean, they also saw Busy P and Boys Noize play at a loving hotel pool so it's not like there wasn't a lot of competition.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

MustangCharlie posted:

Agreed. Have you heard of Le Castlevania? http://soundcloud.com/lecastlevania

Le Castlevania is ok. He's playing some weird festival in Chapel Hill next month and some of my friends up here are playing too. I really like his remix of Rave is King by Fukkk Off even though it doesn't even begin to hold a candle to the original mix.

E: Also on the subject of Fukkk Off, he has a mix previewing a remix album he's putting out that's loving sick. I know Zombie Nation is on there, I forget who else is up. It's worth listening to in any case

Slackerish fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 31, 2010

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

ManoliIsFat posted:

FruityLoops is the cheapest beatmaking software that's worth a drat.

Making mixes is a different beast, though. Traktor and Ableton are the only two I think are worth considering. Neither are cheap. Definitely play around with the demos a BUNCH before dropping cash. Especially if you're new to music, you're not gonna know which program best suits you for MONTHS.

I mean Virtual DJ, especially for someone just starting out could be pretty effective. I dunno how expensive it is though...

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skrillex

My mind was blown too.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

melee beats posted:

Fly Like a G6 Remix

http://soundcloud.com/melee/like-a-g6

I've listened to this like five times today at least, it's fantastic

DividedFrame posted:

No.

I... what... no. This can't... what?!

Yeeep

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Lysis posted:

I wonder if there's a page in this thread that doesn't feature the word 'deadmau5' on it...

Page 67 doesn't but it does have a picture of him on it :11tea:

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

For the love of god will you PLEASE play a show in NC, I will travel to see you

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Mr Viper posted:

Everyone's favorite mouse is on ustream right now, streaming Skrillex' new unreleased EP. It's some of the hardest poo poo I've heard in a long time. Look for leaks of the tracks he played from someone ripping this stream to hit the internet or something. I don't know where the hell Skrillex came from, but I'm definitely a fan of this kid.

Haha, like I said before- he comes from one of the worst bands of the decade- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Moore

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Stuntastic posted:

Normally I'd go but 70$ to see Skrillex and Deadmau5 at Roseland is exorbitant, that's the price I paid per day of Electric Zoo...

Erol Alkan and Die Antwoord are playing too though, as is Afrojack I think.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Peter North posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKIwNi56WWE

deadmau5 is attempting dubstep now. Hilarious.

God this Sofi trick wants to be Uffie so bad. I love how she's singing the exact same way she does in Sofi Needs a Ladder.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

LE0N posted:

Is "SebastiAn" who has done Roman garvais' films score for "Notre Jour Viendra" the same guy from ED banger?

because the score is really loving good i didnt think he had him in him, thought all he did was smoked and made really poo poo crunchy electro.

Yep, same guy. You can kinda tell in the song Retro too.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Oh poo poo Canada posted:

I got to meet deadmau5 briefly at ACL and he was awesome as gently caress. He stayed out for an extra 45 minutes and met every single fan who wanted to meet him, took photos, signed poo poo, and just talked. Seriously, he was second only to Casey Spooner for being awesome as gently caress in person.

There's nothing you can say to defend Deadmau5 to Threatis, he'll just continue to talk about how vastly superior his taste in electro is and fantasize about sucking Diplo's cock.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Mivias posted:

It's pretty cute to watch him inflate over the guy, though

It's especially adorable because I'm sure if he met Diplo in real life he'd be completely snubbed. My diagnosis is jealousy since he's just a mediocre DJ who doesn't even produce and Deadmau5 is world famous. Poor guy :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Saw Skrillex in Charlotte last monday. One of the best shows I've even seen, and Sonny Moore is nice as gently caress.

Also have you guys caught up to Porter Robinson yet? He's from my neck of the woods and is basically taking over beatport right now. Only 18 years old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbERg1M8N8I

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Xesis posted:

Do you live in Charlotte? I live there and went to the show as well. I personally think Skrillex is garbage as a DJ (he plays off a premade ableton set) and I'm not fond of his productions but at least there was a good crowd. There are some good shows that happen from time to time and I DJ here in town quite a bit. You should PM me if you live in Charlotte or come here often, I can get you guestlisted to pretty much any shows that go on here.

Word thanks man, good to know. I live in Asheville but that's only about 2 hours away from Charlotte. And yeah, I saw he was using a pre-made Ableton set and he did some weird poo poo (playing three Excision songs in a row) but I'm personally really fond of his productions and he does a better job of hyping the crowd up than most other DJs I've seen.

incoherent posted:

I kicked it with him last night, real nice dude. He doesn't have quite the persona similar to dm. Maybe his stints in real bands may of tempered his perception.

I mean he's just a kid from Chapel Hill who happens to have really sick production skills and was recognized for it. He's incredibly nice and modest. His brother is actually a goon who I go to school with.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Mr Viper posted:

RE: the Tron remix album

I really want to defend the moby one (I'm a fan, I like his recent stuff, and all you saying he's not done anything in 5 years should see him DJ).... but yeah it's just not very interesting at all whatsoever.

Oakenfold is so old news it's not even funny. You couldn't pay me to go to one of his shows... But speaking of that Faster Kill Pussycat song, I was actually in the video and got to meet him, and he was a lot nicer than I thought he'd be.

Now I think this Teddybears remix is the biggest surprise on the album. I've never heard of them before, but this track is really fun.

The Glitch Mob remix of Derezzed is the worst thing ever.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Furnace posted:

Build up to the synth drop was a nice payoff. Still better than anything off of fist of god.

I'm actually going to go out on a limb and say it's worse than anything off of Fist of God. It's that bad.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

mstrkrft posted:

However, I'd sooner drop Bounce in a set then "Back in the USSA".

I agree with this. At least Bounce is sort of fun to listen to when you're drunk

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Mr Jaunts posted:

Rumor has it that it's a collaboration between Porter Robinson and Skrillex. Normally that would just sound ridiculous, but from looking at their facebook and their soundcloud it's looking pretty likely.

Actually I talked to Porter Robinson (when he opened for Skrillex) and he said he and Skrillex planned to collaborate at some point. The two are pretty good friends.

PS- Porter's brother is a goon. Shhh you didn't hear it from me.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Vernacular posted:

so he finally got over his fear of performing live? good to hear

my friend tried to see him in Germany, got there at a pretty decent time considering the lineup and he had already played...apparently was one of the first to play even though he was one of the biggest names on the lineup. Sooooo I don't know about that.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Stuntastic posted:

"girl i'ma put in a trance like tiesto but i ain't talkin bout no t-t-t-techno"-actual line on Black Eyed Peas' new album

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

The Fresh Prince posted:

What's wrong with Sleigh Bells?

They're godawful live. The girl sings ridiculously off-key and the sound mixing of her voice and the guitar is horrendous.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Stuntastic posted:

Sorry but you're wrong! hth

Aren't you in high school or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Stuntastic posted:

Don't you both get clowned on and probated repeatedly or something?

Only on NMD (I wonder why...) but thanks for the e-stalk!

My point was simply that Sleigh Bells blow rear end live, and if your only counterpoint is a teeny-bopper-friendly response of "You're wrong, tee hee!" then I don't see how much of an intelligent conversation could be started.