Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

twistedmentat posted:

Instrument question; what is the box that often electronic bands have. It's about the size of a drum pad, but it has about 12 buttons on it.

I've seen these being used by a lot of bands, but it seems little more than an odd shaped keyboard.

A sampler...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Man vs Child posted:

Aww dang you fell in to one of my phiz traps, that mix was intentionally mixed awfully and the track selection is godawful. It gets them riled up in the phiz DJ thread.

Not to get all forums nazi on you but STOP loving DOING THIS. Liar.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Pie in the Sky posted:

Yeah, there are a LOT of great EMs that could work, but loving Pete Tong ruins them for party settings...

Could you at that point say... it's gone Pete Tong?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Threatis posted:

someone in the uk bitching about an awesome lineup on this side of the pond is one of the most enraging things i've ever heard in my life.

hahaha yeah, learn to appreciate what you've got

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

LE0N posted:

uk isnt london.

it is actually

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Threatis posted:

i was at this party, I'm like 95% sure of it.

I thought those were pics of you anyway?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Buraka Som Sistema live on some Italian radio station now: http://www.rtl.it/player/old/player_groove.php

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Lowbo posted:

Is there a recording of this? BSS is one of my favorite groups... I've seen em a bunch of times and they put on some of the best shows I've ever been to

Dunno, I got the tip off Fabric's Facebook. Was a pretty cool set, played only a couple of their own tunes and a poo poo ton of crazy top 40 remixes & blends.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

LE0N posted:

So for £6 i get to go to a sweaty, cramped 300 capacity cellar and see:

L-VIS 1990
BOK BOK
EGYPTRIXX
SHORTERZ

nice. What a bargain.

edit- 2 weeks before that Brodinski is playing there for the same price. aha amazing.

Still well annoyed about missing Night Slugs last time.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mr Viper posted:

But, it also apparently makes you one hell of an electronica musician, so maybe it's not THAT bad? He may be a cracked out weirdo 4channer, but he's also one hell of an artist.

LOL him and Rusko are both poo poo, it's a dumb beef between two terrible producers.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

insomne posted:

I don't really get all of the hate. Some people think he's boring and yeah I guess I can understand it but it appeals to a lot of people. Also, to say he's a bad producer is just flat out wrong. Bad musician I can understand, but not a bad producer.

What are you on about? He's a producer who makes boring music -> he's a bad producer. Just my opinion of course, but your terminology is weird.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Mr Viper posted:

All I'm saying is, deadmau5 sure came up with some really good and fairly unheard of music back in his Random Album Title days. He may be all sold out and lame and play recorded sets nowadays, but I feel like you gotta give him props for at least Random Album Title. It also helps that he was there while a bunch of other artists were getting big, like Boys Noize and Justice and Soulwax and Crookers and whatnot, and he really helped get the ball rolling on the latest style of electronic music. He's also making a shitload of money that he's only further investing into getting crazy equipment that'll make crazy noises that I've never heard before, which is pretty cool.

He didn't loving invent progressive house... It came out on bleedin' Ministy of Sound, he found a good market for his ultra-simplistic cheese, good for him.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Stuntastic posted:

Gonna be in London from the 21st to the 24th, what clubs/parties should I try to get to?

Ricard Wilalobo is headlining at Fabric on the 21st, if that's your thing. And it's open til 2pm the next day.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Pacha will be unbelievably expensive, posh and gross... Like, unless you're a fake-tanned Jersey Shore character whose religion is Ibiza house, there's literally no reason to pick Pacha over Fabric or Rhythm Factory lol.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Riot.EXE posted:

I'm glad to read that they put on a good show. They're going to be coming to Chicago with Pretty Lights in December, and I'm gonna try to go to that.

gently caress Major Lazer, Buraka is where its aaaaaaat.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Play posted:

in europe people actually have decent taste when it comes to electronic

Interesting statement...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Threatis posted:

never going to happen. basically all the dnb dudes who jumped ship for the bloghouse thing are gone for good.

Zinc...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

LE0N posted:

Dj Pauly D is my hero i cant wait for "Fabric 55 - Dj Pauly D"

Shackleton actually :dance:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

An0 posted:

A while back I read an El-B interview of how he was sampling cumbia tunes to make house music. I never found any of his releases - but does anyone else make stuff like this ?

I'd imagine it would sound pretty sick to sample something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lztA139Lt_M

The Wire interview from a few years ago? He came off as a pretty pathetic show-off imo. Don't think he's done anything like that so far, the Nu Levels mix from August is awful brostep.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

An0 posted:

Tune recommendation time: Mark Pritchard - Out In The Streets http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00v4tv3 at around 10min in, and a bit of the song is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8fuT-Pz-z0

Oh mang I've been looking for this tune since I first heard it on Rinse like two months ago. Still no release I guess, Pritchard said once that they need to clear a bunch of samples before they can release the tunes that have been around lately.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Furnace posted:

The trifecta of poo poo.
Honestly, can anyone name one track any of these three artists made in the last 5 years that has any relevance?

That Oakenfold song with Brittany Murphy ruled...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Crazy C posted:

Can anyone recommend some decent or their favourite minimal techno producers?

http://www.berghain.de/label/

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

P equals MD posted:

House track of 2011? Love the vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7nBdR7bOVE

I like the vocals too, but the beat is generic rubbish.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Maguro posted:

While that dude does look like a huge prick I don't really find anything horribly off-base about those comments.

edit: other than implying that uk funky is just emerging or something

Ramadanman and Zed Bias' tunes aren't all that similar so comparing them like that is a bit inane, juke is a much better reference point for Ramadanman than UKG, and neither of them have anything to do with funky. It's just years old buzzwords without any content.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Hudmo is, objectively speaking, this isn't some kind of pisstake, the worst producer alive. I'm amazed I've even got a chance to write these words, but he's worse than Justice.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Couple of weeks old, but maybe it wasn't posted yet. New Buraka is a mad ting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOMe-8Tf1Y0

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Yeah I've seen them as a band once and DJ once, loving killed it both times.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

It looks like two thirds of Essential Mixes nowadays are by flavour-of-the-day bloghouse cunts. There were like three techno mixes in all of 2010 :(

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

It's on BBC!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

88h88 posted:

Forgive me for asking but what exactly is bloghouse?

A derogatory term for electro house.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

QCIC posted:

Justice initially got me interested in house; I would personally describe them as orchestral disco:

What the hell did I just read? Are you actually insane?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Volvagia posted:

People can hate on justice + bloghouse (god knows I do) but it really raised the profile of EDM in north america

Why would I care about that? It's bad music, and as far as I'm concerned the whole niche's impact on music has been net negative by a huge margin.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

Because its really important to the state of EDM in America? Who gives a poo poo if the music isn't that great, no one is forcing you to see Justice or Deadmaufive. So just don't go and instead be happy that EDM is actually becoming more accepted in the States.

Well, considering EDM is one of the great indigenous American art forms in the first place, it seems somewhat preposterous to place that much importance on a couple of bad French DJs in an American context. And furthermore, I'm not from the States and the American dance music I enjoy has little to do with electro-house, so again, their popularity among dumb rock kids is of absolutely no relevance to me.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Chitin posted:

Because people develop a taste for less-accessible music via more-accessible music. Today's bloghouse fan is tomorrow's deep tech house head.

Longtiem posted:

I totally agree with this. We all heard deadmau5 before gui boratto, its just the most likely chain of events.

Sure, but something like Justice, Boys Noize or Skritsiksion (cos I see the American dubstep scene as kinda part of the same aesthetic) are only more accessible than most other popular subgenres of EDM if you're a rock 'n' roll kid who thinks every song needs to have something resembling electric guitars. And, I mean, why do you even need that kind of route to dig some classic dance music? If someone tells me they're interested in reggae, I don't make them listen to UB40, Snow and Legend. For my part, I got into techno/house thanks to my friend making me listen to Joey Beltram's Classics comp. And, uhh, that was before 2008, so yeah I can say I heard Gui Boratto before Deadmau5. I'd have a hard time picking which one of them is more boring and awful though, so it's not an elitism ting I don't think.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Filthee Fingas posted:

London UK goons...what site(s) do you use for upcoming house events?

(Living in Van, it was a lot easier to know what was coming through town)

Resident Advisor, obviously. Last.fm is worthless for club nights, and I can't imagine Timeout's tastes aligning with those of anyone remotely cool.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Threatis posted:

guess who produced this track. you only get one guess:

http://youtu.be/2ekW4ly2dcY

Hell yeah, together at last...

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

"Experimental" doesn't mean "of a different genre than most of the artist's songs". That's a kitchy lounge-disco song, but there's nothing odd about a house artist, let alone a French one, making one of those.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Threatis posted:

to quote an old record store owner from here: "It's all just disco"

to quote a Rolling Stone reader: "It's all just blues"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

PonchAxis posted:

Reggaeton is still kinda big over here in a border town of Mexico but Moombahton will keep it alive (which is awesome because its the best parts of reggaeton without the horrible rappers? or whatever).

What the hell? Last time I heard moombahton it was funky house at heroin tempi, not dembow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Now that you said that, suggest to me some Super Good Vibe music that Totally Owns deadmau5.

Rotterdam Terror Corps