Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Went to see the Pet Shop Boys in Glasgow last night.

First band was Unicorn Kid, a local hipster-nerd-looking teenager doing dancey retro commodore 64 music. Didn't seem to appeal to much of the audience but he was good fun, just not what most people were there for.

Second band was Bad Lieutenant, the group Bernard Sumner formed out of the ashes of New Order. Their own music was a bit far from my taste, guitary rock stuff, but luckily they only played a couple of tracks of that (which only really went down well with That Guy At A Gig Who Really Really Digs The Support). People went pretty wild as th ey played a few New Order tracks (Bizarre Love Triangle, Temptation and another one) as well as Love Will Tear Us Apart and Out Of Control. I was pretty happy, since I never got the chance to see New Order before they broke up and they were really good versions of their tracks.

The Pet Shop Boys themselves were incredible - Neil Tennant was charismatic and great, choreography for the backing dancers was really clever in a few places, Chris Lowe busted out some funky dance and the stage set design was really neat, since it was all big boxes be moved around between and even during songs. The audience was a mix of gay couples reminiscing about back in the day, 30something women going crazy for the big popular tracks and a sprinkling of younger hipsters with ironic haircuts.

Unlike Erasure, who I saw in 2007, the Pet Shop Boys have actual good recent albums - the Erasure crowd pretty much went silent every time a newer track was played, but the songs from the last two PSB albums went down a treat last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU