Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

3rd World Dictator posted:

So any advice on how to ramp up on all this stuff? The annoying thing is that a ton of artists just put out EP's, or billions of remixes, so I have no clue how to get good stuff.

Welcome to the world of electronic music i guess. If an artist releases an album the best tracks are about 6months to a year old already. you just gotta search around, ever wonder why the guys who know all the best tracks are massive loving nerds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Vernacular posted:

also, did anybody see simian at control on friday? killer night

I saw them live a couple of times in 09, but now they are doing "dj sets" whats their set up like is it just a basic dj set-up or do they still have their big screens/lightshow and run round their podium of controllers and laptops?

im asking because im gonna go see them at glasto but they have it down as a "dj set" an i think their live stuff is much better than dj but maybe its the same thing?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Threatis posted:

playing other peoples music as well as their own.

They do that "live" anyway...
I was asking whether they will be bringing their lighting and screens and stuff for the show, or just stand in front of some laptops playing tunes.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

zerojake posted:

regardless if you're on the fence about seeing someone you like live because its a dj set instead of their live stuff, what's wrong with you? be honest, no producer has enough good tracks to merit listening to them for two hours straight. even for someone like daft punk whose whole pyramid lazer light show and whatever bullshit i'd be just as happy hearing what other tunes they think are worth playing as hearing them play the same stuff ive listened to at home. djs arent a rock band, and treating them like they are is only going to make your experiences worse

Because you are at a festival and there are a million other acts on at the same time, dj sets can sometimes be poo poo for a number of reasons. I've seen them live and dj (albeit the dj set was years ago and they have overhauled their whole show) and the live performance was 100000x better. Thats why.

zerojake posted:

djs arent a rock band, and treating them like they are is only going to make your experiences worse

i was only asking about the type of show that they had been doing recently due to past experiences but, thanks for the random advice i guess???

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

ManoliIsFat posted:

I saw a Ladytron DJ set at a massive once that was the most atrocious thing I've ever scene. Even the totally decked out scenesters were looking at eachother like "what the gently caress is their problem?"

mmmm exactly.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

phractured posted:

I actually blame deadmau5 100%

e: for the increase in bros

nothing wrong with bro's, man.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Lysis posted:

have you guys ever considered that maybe the bros.... are u?

Dont be silly most people in this thread have never been to see any decent dj.*

If they have its probs finished before 1am lmao.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

FYI y'all afrojack is up next on the essential mix, he isnt really my thing but i know some here will like it :)

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Lysis posted:

Someone post some bangers, please! I'm running out of new material to impress my friends with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt4jFFDmZqM

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

lol at people in this thread talking about the popularity of artists and bro's and poo poo when this whole thread is about people were going on about pretty well known dj's like they were some underground poo poo that literally no-one has heard of.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Threatis posted:

just FYI Rusko and Deadmau5 are duking it out on twitter.

oh, oh wow...haters gonna hate i suppose.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Threatis posted:

wait, hater of dubstep dudes ho smoke weed, or poo poo wanna-be electro producers?

all of them. does it matter?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

lol at people arguing about deadmau5.
deadmau5 owns, if your a hater you are most likely jealous that a channer/goon made it big instead of you, stop :qq:'ing and post tracks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

echinopsis posted:

I'm a massive fan of the synth work of pink floyd, especially the first few parts of "Shine in you Crazy Diamond", and the beginning of "Sheep" is amazing

Is there much other stuff out there like this? Or when the thread title says "synth" doesn't it not mean what I think.

The "synth" in this thread tends to stand for synth-pop not progressive rock with synths, im afraid. :( im sure there is a progressive rock thread banging around in NMD though.

Vernacular posted:

The new Boy 8 Bit EP loving rules. I'm gonna hammer the poo poo out the demo mix of Yard Birds for quite some time I believe

new? whats it called? im behind on my music these days.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

So I have the chance to go to a Danny Dyer DJ set in town in a couaple of weeks..should i go?

Yes/no?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

aejix posted:

Thanks for the real talk! There's been a ton of music or genres that I never really liked or got into but then I had someone explain it's roots, history, evolution, all that poo poo and even if I didn't really dig it after that, at least I had a better understanding of where it came from and what it 'means' or how people can relate to it. Sometimes just being open to those other perspectives eventually got me into new stuff in a big way.

Then again I'm only just coming around to Major Lazer (img-timeline or what?) and even then only just a couple tracks so maybe I just have 'dad taste' or something haha.

Get diplo's 2007 BBC essential mix its 2 hours of him mixing a shitload of genres and i think someone told me he got a lot of poo poo from people because he dared to play a range of stuff (including "Do the bartman" by bart simpson) that wasnt straight up techno or house.

I think thats how the story goes i could be wrong. Some of his remixes are a tad hit and miss for the casual listener if you arent a big fan, his mixes are pretty cool though. The major lazer EM is pretty excellent party music ive found :)

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Threatis posted:

you're telling this to somone who is actually going to see Pauly D DJwhen he comes to Ottawa

Dj Pauly D is my hero i cant wait for "Fabric 55 - Dj Pauly D"

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Is "SebastiAn" who has done Roman garvais' films score for "Notre Jour Viendra" the same guy from ED banger?

because the score is really loving good i didnt think he had him in him, thought all he did was smoked and made really poo poo crunchy electro.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

To get this thread back on topic, i really like this track off of SMD's new "is Fixed" techno mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F2AoXs1FH0
and news of thier new album out november 29th

quote:

The album, also called Delicacies, features nine unmixed dancefloor-aimed tracks, as well as bonus mix of the tracks recorded live in the duo’s studio.

Tracklist:
UNMIXED
1. Aspic
2. Nerve Salad
3. Casu Marzu
4. Thousand Year Egg
5. Skin Cracker
6. Hákarl
7. Sweetbread
8. Ortolan
9. Fugu

MIXED
1. Sweetbread
2. Hákarl
3. Nerve Salad
4. Casu Marzu
5. Skin Cracker
6. Aspic
7. Thousand Year Egg Drumappella
8. Ortolan

Also:

Mr Oizo & Gaspard Augé
"Rubber" OST

CD

01 Symph08
02 Rubber
03 Crows and Guts
04 Tricycle Express
05 Everything is Fake
06 Room 16
07 Bellyball Road
08 No Reason
09 Sheila
10 Racket
11 Le Caoutchouc
12 Polocaust
13 Dump
14 Sunsetire

--------------------------------------
Also: New zombie nation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4eqH2zymZk

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 3, 2010

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Vernacular posted:

This new Gesaffelstein EP out on Turbo is all sorts of filthy. Y'all need to give it a listen

Thanks for the heads up. :)

Got free tickets for writing for the paper to see "We have band" who are nothing new but decent electro-pop in a hot chip vein, pretty unremarkable really but its a free night out so they could be better live?

Also might get free tickets to simian on fri if i can make it, want to check out their all techno set. That could go either way though.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Hopefully some of the sets from I <3 Techno will find their way onto the blogs again this year. Gonna keep my eyes peeled.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

I'm liking this new track from SBTRKT, it's not a banger or anything but its great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwa4X52e96Q

Also rubber is great.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 17, 2010

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br-EEjXzFdQ

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

nosophoros posted:

Hey! I like HEALTH, Jogger and Skrillex and I've got a craving for more of the same basically. I'm not into electronic music at all but those bands strike a chord with me. Any recommendations? Much obliged!

A Place to bury strangers? they are noisy as gently caress bear in mind.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

He used to be terrible and never turn up to gigs, got to the point where nobody could be arsed booking him. When he started to get big he was a loving nightmare to deal with apparently.

May have changed these days, but his reputation came from him doing it for years.

Still happens on a number of nights with different djs hence some lineups looking pretty bloated. Really annoying if you're the type of person who get tickets to see one dj though. Just get a buzz on and enjoy the music i guess.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

zerojake posted:

I think you're way overestimating US ravers. The last rave-esque event I went to was probably ~90% hardcore, 10% lady gaga, bad daft punk remixes, etc. This was in 2010. Raves have not changed at all. The thing is too is I think in england 'rave' is a much broader term, here it's very specifically large-scale glowsticks-and-e mid-90s techno parties.

Ive never been to a "rave" which has turned out to have hardcore djs playing and ive been on a few nights out where i didnt really even know who i was going to see. "Rave" in the uk tends to have connotations a bit with "nu-rave" and indie shite thanks to the NME and all that bollocks but that was years ago. Rave nowadays can mean anything from DnB, techno, dubstep, garage, grime, indie, electro, pop etc etc.

That said the word "rave" is hardly used over here, partly because most people still think back to the notorious illegal raves that happened around londons orbital ring road back in the late 80's early 90's and tbh none of the events on now are anything like that at all.

Only word ive heard nowadays is "events" which is much better than rave or party.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Kinda glad all hardcore has seemingly relocated to wigan pier in the uk, thank gently caress there is literally no reason to go to wigan.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Really Wanna go to this:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

New mixes hasnt updated an essential mix since april 09 by the way the latest one on there is like tiga's. Just google it its pretty common since i think its not technically files because its on BBC radio or something.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 22, 2011

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

The Fresh Prince posted:

er7radio.net.
hopefully not files. if so I can edit. also,
The Essential Mix thread

Oh poo poo forgot about that TCC thread, thanks for the link.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

this is awesome, simian mobile disco live from hard in la , playing casu marzu I think.

[video type="youtube"]/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPH8Gssev5AM%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&feature=youtu.be&v=PH8Gssev5AM&gl=GB[/video]

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Im liking this song by Modeselektor with two african mcs at the minute, good to see them back after Art+cash which was a bit by the numbers but still good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hw3FaPK4Uk

edit:
Also been listening to the Douster remix of Jay Weed's "on the nile" it really improves the original to be honest. Cant find a vid on youtube of it :(

Also liking Om unit's new EP called "The Timps"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MqEqxfRM_c

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 24, 2011

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

spootime posted:

first post in this thread. Sorry if this has been posted but ive been listening to this legend of zelda remix for a while and its bangin.

http://soundcloud.com/zedd/zedd-legend-of-zelda-original

I prefer "The rapelay theme.mp3 (Jersey Gore's Sex offender Dubstep mix)"

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Six Thirty Seven posted:

Those vocals should be taken all the way the gently caress outta here. My goodness there is nothing good about that track.

In other news does anybody still listen to the "Part of the weekend never dies" album? Because I still do. And you should acquire it if you have not. I tend not to enjoy live album but man something about the soul to the album makes it great. I think its the live drums that make it feel alive.

Soulwax's live album/mix? Yeah its really good, i like when djs have live drums sometimes. Soulwax's big gigs like soulwaxmas and stuff have a number of djs doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcyLM-SvWg4

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMBmHIEu_Do

I actually kind of like this. There's something wrong with me.

edit: hope this wasn't posted before. I only just found it and was reminded of the Justice remix so I thought I'd post it.

It wasn't posted before because this isnt the dubstep thread (though skrillex is hardly dubstep) and the fact its an utterly terrible mashup of an internet meme and someone as redundant as skrillex.

To contribute something useful to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqmYt2fn3_Y

I always get this and mumbai science's gold mixed up.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

a milk crime posted:

Tiga, a funny guy, play for this weeks BBC 6 Mix. It's really good. I really like the whole thing. He's really funny in between the songs. He plays a lot of exclusive tracks, such as a Boys Noize remix of Turn the Night on that goes really well. I would listen to this every week if it was possible.

"When i first got this e-mail from this guy i thought he was Puerto-Rican, turns out disappointingly enough he's actually from Brighton, Julio Bashmore did a remix of Zzafrika and in the e-mail he discussed something about velvet gloves, needless to say it was love at first sight"

tiga is a funny guy, some of the turbo press releases are bizarre.

speaking of turbo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuRQWDECluc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvY09RAvCW8
edit one more for the road.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUIles5mfmA

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 6, 2011

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

vossi posted:

maybe related:
http://twitter.com/oizo3000/status/52554411792285698
http://twitter.com/oizo3000/status/53876168256004096

mr. oizo is a great person to follow on twitter :D

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Dono posted:

Some (new?) skrillex. A lot better, at least in my opinion that his generic 'wob' sound. I'd be happy to see him go in this direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWEZ3Vo5Jxk

Reminder that the new skrillex track is Korn ft Skrillex - "get up"

http://www.spin.com/articles/premiere-hot-korn-track-feat-skrillex

It's as awful as it sounds.

edit- that article has , what has to be the whitest picture on the internet, loving hell.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

ThreeFish posted:

my heretofore very sheltered and prim, nearly 60 year old mother also informed me today that she'd like to start going to raves.
I'll take yer mam to a dirty rave if she is up for it :getin:

Also on Friday laurent garnier is doing a 5 hour set, and he is more or less the only interesting guy on. Is he worth seeing?

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Well looks like im unexpectedly going to see 2manydjs tonight, should be fun, last time they were here they were fantastic. A boring Saturday night just got saved :)