Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

priznat posted:

Anyone listening to the new Machinedrum? I've had it on heavy rotation since it dropped, really like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytCLHXGmuHY

I enjoyed the new Machinedrum as well, definitely a bit on the poppier side but not any less interesting than his previous work to me.

New FaltyDL album came out a few weeks ago and it's really great: https://soundcloud.com/faltydl/bridge-spot-3?in=faltydl/sets/heaven-is-for-quitters-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

priznat posted:

Yes, I really like how much Machinedrum switches styles, both solo and then in Sepalcure. One of my favourite artists these days. His boiler room sets are fun too.

Loving the new FaltyDL as well, it came up in my "similar to Machinedrum" radio station on google play, actually! Also the new Leatherette.

Yeah the new Leatherette was really good, I love what he does with his samples.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Jex Opolis has an album out and it's extremely good: https://jexopolis.bandcamp.com/album/jex-opolis-ravines-2

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Oliver Reed posted:

I'm embarrassingly ignorant of electronic music sub-genres but recently I've (apparently) been into garage house. I listened to a DJ set by Joey Negro and it was exactly what I wanted out of electronic music (sample track from the set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gobukd4y5s). Can you recommend similar sub-genres/related stuff to check out? I like the soul-influence on a lot of the tracks I've heard. Beautiful female vocals are a plus but not necessary.

DJ Koze did a remix of a track last year that was heavily inspired by the NY Garage sound: Lapsley "Operator (DJ Koze's 12" Extended Mix)"

I'm also fond of this track which samples Gwen Guthrie's Peanut Butter.

Compilations To Check Out:

The Men in the Glass Booth ( recently released & absolutely fantastic)
The Horse Meat Disco Series
Joey Negro's Remixed With Love (or pretty much any other compilation he's done, there are tons)
Dimitri From Paris's In The House of Love (other compilations of his are good too)
Disco Re-Adventures (great re-edit compilation)
Tropical Disco Hustle

DJ sets:
Greg Wilson's Essential Mix
Larry Levan Live at The Paradise Garage (you may have to buy or :files: this one, I don't think it's online)
Todd Terje @ Betalounge (Todd Terje's disco tends to be a bit more left-field, though this one is more straightforward)

Some of my personal favorites:
Chakha Khan "Ain't Nobody (Frankie Knuckle's Hallucinogenic Dub)"
Womack & Womack "M.B.P. (Missing Person's Bureau)(Frankie Knuckle's Paradise Ballroom Mix)"
Pet Shop Boys "West End Dub"
Armenta "I Wanna Be With You (Pt. 2)"
Gladys Knight & The Pips "It's Better Than A Good Time (Walter Gibbons Remix)"
Jan Leslie Holmes "I'm Your Superman (Vocal)"
Karin Jones "Under The Influence of Love (12" Mix)
The Nick Straker Band "A Little Bit of Jazz"
Suzy Q "I Can't Give You More" (title says it's an edit; it's not)
Fern Kinney "Baby Let Me Kiss You"
Michael Jackson "I Can't Help It (Todd Terje Rekutt)"
The Willow Band "WIllow Man (Todd Terje Edit)"

I'm gonna stop here because I could probably spend my entire day on this post, but I think this is enough to start :v:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Oliver Reed posted:

That is a beautiful post and I sincerely appreciate it; thank you so much! I will report back as I dig through it.

Of course :) there's plenty where that came from so just let me know. Maybe one day when I have the time I'll make a thread about disco and its offshoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Disco Godfather posted:

My Trip to Japan
- Enter record store
- Say "new Japanese deep house?"
- Spend $100
- Repeat

Current tally is 30

I’m so god drat jealous right now.