Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Fuklaw posted:

Just a hint "bros" are probably getting into electro house stuff because it gets played in all the clubs they go to, they're bound to start knowing and getting into the music.

If you remember, the bro jam of WMC to summer 2009 was Crookers remix of Day and Night.

\/\/\/\/ lol u're right I always mix them up. they're both italian, right?

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

MzKzM posted:

if i ever hear one of those bajillion dominator remixes played out in a club i'm gonna stab the dj
The bloghouse movement is on a total "classics" kick right now. Acid house, dutch house... be on the look out.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

That poo poo is so disgusting, what a clusterfuck.

And you kids wondered why I made fun of raves bigger than football games.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

More news, HARD w/MIA is cancelled. Apparently it's from low ticket sales. I'm not REALLY surprised -- I'm not a huge fan of MIA, I know she's got a good following, but putting on a HARD-style rave for her made NO SENSE. She should be playing shows at medium sized venues.
I could see that, but should HARD really rely on their headliners getting people through the door, or just throwing a huge rave? They didn't even get to throw the party last year. Sounds to me like Richards just isn't that great at making a party work, and he thought MIA, NERD and Crystal Castles would write his paycheck in 2k10.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 14, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

If you look at the HARD track record though, besides that one fiasco at the forum that the Inglewood Police had to shut down, all HARD events (that I've been to at least) have been put together really well.
They definitely did, and they were huge events. Maybe it got too big.

quote:

Having said that, since the MIA/NERD/CC show was announced, I had a feeling it wouldn't work. MIA doesn't have a huge scene. NERD doesn't have a huge scene. I'd almost say Crystal Castles is a bigger "name" than the other two, even. I think this one show was just weird and doomed from the beginning.
Ha, you're right. And I love NERD, Hugo is the man.

trill rear end posted:

y'all seen curbcheck?

I gots a bone to pick.

lol did he jack ur poo poo?

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 15, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

incoherent posted:

NERD is boring live. MIA is terrible live.
Ahhhh, I've never seen NERD. I think its been the thought for a while that MIA can't consistently rock a party, that she's mostly "out of it". I could see how she could potentially totally tear it up.

incoherent posted:

15k-18k for a show isn't that big. Fuckin the bro-core KROQ radio-concerts are bigger.
Oh, I thought events like these were getting 150k people out. Maybe that's just EDC, though, which was always like THE rave.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 15, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

insomne posted:

edit: I know one of the guys smoking with Rusko and apparently deadmau5 said "Stupid pot smoking hippies are gonna get this shut down" while walking by or something like that. Didn't address Rusko specifically.
He said this at a RAVE?! I don't about you, but I'd think you'd have to be a pretty heavy basement dweller to say something like that. To say it to a huge weed smoker and most famous dude in a weed-loving genre is even funnier, but it doesn't really matter if he didn't know who he was talking to. It was a bitchy thing to say in the first place. In isolation, its funny, but in the context of his past of calling DJs no-talent thieves, its just more ammo for to the idea that deadmau5 and his fans are the lamest, most newjack ravers in the world.

Ras Het posted:

He didn't loving invent progressive house... It came out on bleedin' Ministy of Sound
Hahah, for real. Sure, no one heard his tracks before they were out there, but he's no musical pioneer. He just got caught up in a rising tide.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

zerojake posted:

What genres aren't weed loving!?

True, but dubstep is like drum and bass and hip hop that it REALLY loves weed. Name your songs after weed, have the lyrics be about weed, put a weed leaf on your album cover...

Pres posted:

loving hell, JOEL ZIMMERMAN should be a probational topic in this thread, everytime he's mentioned it because a couple of pages of ranting and shitposting. Can we please get back on topic. There's a new cut copy single floating around the blogs and it's rather awesome.
My bad, I thought this thread was about being an arrogant old guy and harassing kids.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 19, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Furnace posted:

Holy poo poo, The Count and Sinden feat. Mystery Jets - After Dark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs9vRtZsMz0

loving TUNE.

I thought acid house was gonna be the new bloghouse trend, but now I guess it's disco. :)

loving tune, though

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Fresh Prince posted:

http://www.eventbee.com/view/avaberlinab/event?eid=722355252

Does anyone know what this venue is like? I was thinking about trudging up to SF to see this show but I have no idea what the place is like. But seriously 15 and change to see A-Trak alone would be worth it. Looks fun.

Awww man, who would've guessed A-Track would play another hip hop show? Who cares about the venue, PBW and J-rocc are playing! PBW will drop the deepest breaks on you. The crappier the venue is, the better show it'll be!

(ps: mayer hawthorne on the bottom of a bill? that didn't take long)

The Fresh Prince posted:

That's loving incredible.
And I bought my tickets for that show. Looks like it'll be fun.
noice

e: lol i shoulda known incoherent woulda jacked me on that

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Fresh Prince posted:

They're definitely worse in Santa Cruz. Believe me.
I went to UCSB, right about the time everyone and their mom was becomming a DJ. The vast majority of fans around your age are gonna be like that. 8 out of 10 people you meet will be candy kids whose rave name you'll never remember.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

pass me a natty bro posted:

People realized that after Rebelution, there was no point in trying to follow that act so everyone bought those lovely m-audio x-ponenent controllers, cheap behringer speakers and lights at guitar center. It was cool, until I started getting undercut so badly and people trying to steal my poo poo during sets (gently caress DP parties) :)
Ahaha, gently caress man, I had completely forgotten about Rebulition. gently caress a DP party.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Vernacular posted:

Free Mad Decent block party in LA tomorrow. Ninjasonik, Theophilus London, Gaslamp Killer, Nosaj Thng, Paul Devro...should be a good time. http://maddecentblockparty.com/

Awww drat, I should've posted in this thread. A bunch of these kids came to our Otto/Snares party down the street. It was funny because everyone at the party early was dressed in like black shirts and black pants, the darkest dnb uniform. But then around like 1230, 1am a bunch of kids started lining up with green, pink or baby blue shirts.

some guy called XL Productions or something threw a hissyfit at the door because he wasn't on the guestlist ("were you supposed to be? i'm sorry, i don't know who you are")

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

FruityLoops is the cheapest beatmaking software that's worth a drat.

Making mixes is a different beast, though. Traktor and Ableton are the only two I think are worth considering. Neither are cheap. Definitely play around with the demos a BUNCH before dropping cash. Especially if you're new to music, you're not gonna know which program best suits you for MONTHS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

I mean Virtual DJ, especially for someone just starting out could be pretty effective. I dunno how expensive it is though...

That's very true. You'll probably get just as much out of it as you would clicking around in Traktor.