Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

UnSmith posted:

It is not my intention to turn this into a youtube thread, but I if people want music to hardcore electro music to dance to then i'll just have to continue expounding the virtues of Designer Drugs:
IAMX - Spit it Out (Designer Drugs Remix)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Jw0H8VED4
Annie - Anthonio (Desinger Drugs Remix) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMWopPgSGBs

Also just to get the ball rolling, Alex Metric is loving awesome:
In Your Machine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsiqku1-09c
Okay just to be clear:

1) There's no problem with linking to youtube videos. It would be ridiculous not to link to youtube videos, they're an extremely convenient way of allowing people to sample the music. What I'd rather not see is lots of posts that are just lists of youtube links with just the artist/track title and that's it.

2) You say "I'll have to continue expounding the virtues of Designer Drugs" and then to proceed to say nothing else on the subject. I'm honestly baffled by someone specifically saying that they're going to explain something or go into detail, and then pasting 2 youtubes and changing the subject. Please, expound upon the virtues of Designer Drugs, it would be welcomed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Man vs Child posted:

I've never made up a poo poo excuse for the mixes i've actually tried to make good, so I don't know what you mean by that, but thanks for the feedback, i'm still learning.
I don't want this to be an extended argument, so just drop the whole "Oh I wasn't really trying then"/"Haha you were pranked by my terrible mix" shtick. Even if people were buying it, it would still basically be bragging about making a shitpost in NMD (albeit one that took a weird amount of effort), which I am not cool with.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Lakitu7 posted:

Agreed totally. The spread of music in this thread is just too wide. People click links expecting one sound and find something very different. It's a lot more fun when we have smaller threads with more narrow genres that let people find things to their taste than this smashing of everyone together.
To be honest, amongst the people I know who are most into these styles of music, they like it all, not just the poppy stuff or the housey stuff, so that's why I thought merging the threads was a good idea when it was suggested to me.

That said, it seems like there's a lot of people who for whatever reason don't care much for the house stuff so if you guys want to start a separate electro-pop thread, go ahead. I really didn't mean to pigeonhole or ignore you guys, it's just that I apparently had a mistaken impression of the fanbase.

Oh also for future reference, you guys can always talk to me via PM or AIM or IRC, which generally are going to be a lot more effective.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Furnace posted:

"Electronica was a pretty retarded point in how major labels tried to ram everything with a boom tsk into one plain word and sell it off. You wouldn't put Spoon, Cat Stevens, Frank Zapper, and Buddy Holly into one genre?"

3363 posted:

Yes, rockist poo poo

But seriously while I generally say "electronic music" instead of "electronica" I think the stigma against "electronica" is pretty dumb considering how close the alternative name is to it. Getting all huffy about that in this day and age is kind of silly since it's not much less descriptive than "electronic music" and serves a useful purpose. It's certainly preferable to all electronic music being called techno, which is what largely happened before the term electronica became popular.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cyril Sneer posted:

Great song. Good to see there's at least a little bit of synthpop left in this thread.
I told you weeks ago that you could feel free to start a synthpop thread if you liked.

edit: okay not directly to you but mentioned here, and it was back in January

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Come on guys keep irc drama on IRC, don't let it bleed over here.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Slackerish posted:

i've heard from fairly reliable sources that he has some sort of mental retardation. judging by his talent, i'd guess some form of autism maybe

Caseman posted:

He doesn't have any kind of retardation. Check his website. He's just a weird looking dude. I work at Lenscrafters, so I see people with high prescriptions like his every day.
Uh, have you heard how talented he is? No normal person is talented like that. When people are born with great talent they need a flaw to balance things out, otherwise it's not fair, that's why we have autism (which he clearly has because he's really really talented).

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

VenomHowell posted:

I said I liked it. I am not hating on Kaskade. Besides, I can have preferences without resorting to outright childish bashing. 'gently caress Deadmau5' and 'This music is poo poo' is a lot different from 'Hey, that's alright, but to me...' and following it up with a specific statement about my preferences.
Characterizing people who have different opinions than you as "hipsters" and ascribing bad faith reasons for musical preferences like "being obscure and pompous as gently caress" is childish bashing. I tend to be fairly hands-off on this stuff, but please don't act like you have some kind of moral high ground.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

BYOB posted:

A lot of people seem to hate something just because it's popular and love the hottest new thing that nobody has ever heard of, and for that the term "hipster" sees to be appropriate.
No, they don't. This doesn't describe a lot of people, it doesn't describe most people or even 10% of people. That's the problem with that phrase, this phenomenon, if it exists at all, is incredibly exaggerated and is just a cheap, lovely way for people to dismiss negative opinions.

When posting in this forum, you should basically come in under the assumption that absolutely nobody in the world exists who "only hates stuff because it's popular" or "only like stuff nobody's heard of". That may not be true, but focusing on this minority of questionable existence (no I don't want to hear about That One Guy You Know Who Totally Does This, btw) does absolutely nothing for discussion but drag it down.

edit: just removing "hipster" from your vocabulary entirely is probably a good idea, and any time you find yourself ascribing taste in music to uniformly unflattering personality traits, you should probably stop and think some more about the situation, because that happens a lot less than you might think.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I don't give a gently caress if you like deadmau5 or hate him, but this thread meta-commentary poo poo and sniping at other posters like this:

Slackerish posted:

There's nothing you can say to defend Deadmau5 to Threatis, he'll just continue to talk about how vastly superior his taste in electro is and fantasize about sucking Diplo's cock.
and this:

Mivias posted:

It's pretty cute to watch him inflate over the guy, though

Slackerish posted:

It's especially adorable because I'm sure if he met Diplo in real life he'd be completely snubbed. My diagnosis is jealousy since he's just a mediocre DJ who doesn't even produce and Deadmau5 is world famous. Poor guy

is really loving annoying. Don't do it.

edit:
Also in general let's say that if you cannot articulate dissenting opinions better than this:

Threatis posted:

because his music is absolute poo poo and so is he.
then don't post them in the first place.

het fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 2, 2010

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Stuntastic posted:

Lmao this ferry to electric zoo might as well be named the HMS Douchelord

It occurred to me that perhaps the reason that that name would be fitting is because you are on it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

a milk crime posted:

I'm generally not trusting of any program like that, I haven't found anyone who is.

dj bobby bieber posted:

I have, don't waste your money or your time.
Yeah, everything I've heard from anyone who took this sort of offer was that they just had a bunch of useless blogs that reposted any press release, nobody actually reads them. The "possible" airtime is without a doubt just fiction.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mike_V posted:

Quite frankly I'd appreciate it if all the legit forward-thinking music were discussed in the UK Bass thread (that includes the techno thread) because keeping track of multiple threads is a little annoying for me. But I understand why het would want multiple threads going to keep things interesting.

I, however, will continue to post about whatever techno/house/grime/etc I listen to in the UKB thread.
Honestly I've been thinking we should redo this stuff, it's sort of haphazard.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

jvempire posted:

Making an all inclusive Electronic Music megathread seems like the best bet imo.
That seems like a really bad idea to me, honestly. Electronic music encompasses such a wide range of aesthetics that too many would get buried; that happens even with this thread, and that's what I would like to fix.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Basically here are my rough ideals for how threads should work:
  • Generally speaking, people should be able to post about the music they like
  • Threads should be useful/interesting/worthwhile to people who know the most about the subject. Those are the people I'm most interested in having post
  • People unfamiliar with the music of a given thread should be informed about it

Years ago we had like a dozen metal threads on the front page, because a lot of people like metal and we would see new threads for every big new metal release. Having threads for new popular releases is not a bad thing, but I think people not interested in metal saw a shitload of metal threads on the front page and were just turned off. So I tried to consolidate those to one thread. That worked sort-of-okay, but subgenre threads popped up, and that's probably not a bad way of handling that (maybe we should restart all those).

I've been thinking of late that the electronic threads are probably too concentrated (esp this one). Threads per-album or per-artist would probably be overwhelming outside of exceptionally popular/interesting instances, but more subgenre threads I think would be good. the UK Bass thread is a good example of what I'd like to see, partially because 28 Gun Bad Boy put so much effort into the informational posts on the genre, but also because of the fact that there's at least some unifying aspect to it.

The whole House/Electro/Synthpop thing ended up being a probably bad idea, traditional house tends to get overwhelmed, and synthpop is only here because there was overlap with the current perception of "electro". I think it would probably be a good idea for this thread (and the techno thread maybe) to branch out a bit so we have more discrete definitions for each thread.

Anyway, I'm not 100% decided on anything, but since the topic came up I figured I'd offer my take on it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Longtiem posted:

The tech house thread is having this discussion atm for a few pages.
Yeah someone PM'd me about renaming it to the Super Cool Awesome Dude Zone or similar (not going to happen). Ironically I've listened to a number of techno releases that I love this year, I should probably catch up. I'm fairly busy with work but I might (not guaranteed!) post a thread specifically about how to divvy up the current threads, since I think what we have is functional but could be a whole lot better.

edit: if anyone wants to PM me their thoughts on this, it would be welcomed; I don't want to derail any current threads over this stuff.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cyril Sneer posted:

I would love a seperate electropop/synthpop/indie-dance thread.
I literally said multiple times to do so, over two years ago. I really have no idea why you didn't make one.

het posted:

To be honest, amongst the people I know who are most into these styles of music, they like it all, not just the poppy stuff or the housey stuff, so that's why I thought merging the threads was a good idea when it was suggested to me.

That said, it seems like there's a lot of people who for whatever reason don't care much for the house stuff so if you guys want to start a separate electro-pop thread, go ahead. I really didn't mean to pigeonhole or ignore you guys, it's just that I apparently had a mistaken impression of the fanbase.

Oh also for future reference, you guys can always talk to me via PM or AIM or IRC, which generally are going to be a lot more effective.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Great song. Good to see there's at least a little bit of synthpop left in this thread.

het posted:

I told you weeks ago that you could feel free to start a synthpop thread if you liked.

edit: okay not directly to you but mentioned here, and it was back in January

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

dougie posted:

http://www.65daysofstatic.com/
Group of lads from Sheffield England, The Fall of Math is an awesome album, I'd recommend at the very least checking out the tracks 'Retreat, Retreat!','Fix the Sky a Little' and 'PX3'.
If you don't have the slightest idea what house music is, you probably shouldn't offer suggestions. 65daysofstatic is post-rock, completely different and entirely unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Blowdryer posted:

Hahahaha I bet HE didn't even KNOW that song!
I know it's considered gauche amongst a lot of people in this thread, but yes, we actually kind of like it when people know what the gently caress they're talking about in this forum.