Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can someone point me to the Trance thread? Can't find one.

Also what's the verdict on discussing progressive house? ie Sasha, Digweed, Markus Schulz etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

OniKun posted:

I didn't know 1015 Folsom had joined the list of horrible venues in SF. Last time I was there, that place was still pretty interesting, and still allowed smoking inside, which is a nice rarity in California.

Public Works is, by far, my favorite club in that city. They also bring in great talent - Seth Troxler this weekend, for example. I've also heard great things about Monarch and their famous soundsystem, but I have yet to make it there. Ruby Skye is totally awful nowadays, but sometimes you can have a good night there. If it's an 18+ show it's a terrible place.

Someday I need to move to the bay. Sacramento, where I'm currently located, is an EDM desert. It kills me.

Speaking of Seth, has anyone here seen him? I'm pretty excited to catch him for my first time this weekend.

Last time I went to 1015 back in 2006 or so guy got shot so take that for what you will.

dj bobby bieber posted:

That soundsystem is loving amazing though
Orgasmic

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrSargent posted:

Well that is unfortunate about the venues but I won't let that sour my mood.

I am also living in Sacramento right now and know exactly how you feel about it being an EDM wasteland. I think the last real show I saw here was Cazzette at District 30 and that venue blows.
Honestly dude you'll be fine. Dopo just sounds like he's chasing the dragon a bit (sorry Dopo :shrug:)

The crowds there are your typical scene and be scene types so it can be easy to be like "this is so over!" but for babby's first clubbing or whatever just have a good time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrSargent posted:

Who doesn't like Kraftwerk? They were such a huge influence on so many genres of music. I really started getting into them when I found out how much influence they had on hip-hop, specifically producers like Dr. Dre, J Dilla, and Madlib.

I've got a few of their albums on vinyl including Electric Cafe, Computer World, Autobahn, and a compilation album. Still need to find Trans Europe Express!

Afrika Bambataa (planet rock)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Graphic posted:

Any other Kraftwerk fans? I can't find any on the internet except in the comments of YouTube videos. Why don't you like Kraftwerk?

Their influence is undeniable. I think it’s just hard to pump it

Even though you can draw edm’s origins going to a kraftwerk show is almost like an orchestral experience.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrSargent posted:

Sure, I just try to avoid talking about him for the most part.

I had no idea what you were on about so I googled

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/hip-hop/7364592/afrika-bambaataa-abuse-allegations

welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean Dre beat a woman up...