Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
no shittin up here!

good to see we got a new thread though.

for content: http://www.phoenixloop.com

it's a new blog me and a friend started. He's more into the older style of EDM (DnB, Breaks, Trance, etc.) while I'm more all-over-the-place party music kinda dude, so hopefully you'll find some awesome stuff there. Also: all our stuff is cleared to post, so go nuts. We keep it on the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

trill rear end posted:

hey yall! new thread treat!!!

FFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK

i really cant wait till you give me this free of charge.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I had no idea MSTRKRFT has a new CD. I'll have to check that out.

dont. "fist" is pretty loving bad.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I'm not watching this just to see how much they talk about New Order. No, not at all.

It was pretty nice in the late 90s when Daft Punk, Prodigy and Fatboy Slim were the biggest things out there. It looked like Electronic music might be the next big thing. Then BAM! Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys out of nowhere, and it killed it. And ever since then, it's been kid oriented bubblegum pop since.

actually, those two scenes moved in tandem with one another. they were nearest neighbors for a loooong time. you'd have a car drive by you blasting "Let Forever Be" then "Bye Bye Bye".

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

It may have been different in other places, but Toronto seemed to completely dump one for the later very quickly. The Dance music station went from playing house and other electronic music to Boy Bands and Teen Girl singers almost over night. Well, I guess it's not that bad because I didn't have to hear Venga Boys anymore.

??

soooo what you're saying is that albums like "the fat of the land" fall under the same heading as the Vengabus album? because, those were two entirely different scenes, and while the danish dance pop gave way to the spice girls, it didn't really affect stuff like The Prodigy and The Chemical Brothers.

edit: and for different places, I'm coming from the same neck of the woods (ottawa), and i really did not see what you're describing at all.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

stun runner posted:

I went home to visit LA and Power 106 (rap station) only dips below 120 bpm to play that Jay-Z song about New York. Everything else is uptempo partydude LMFAO-type rap. It's kind of crazy.

do they play "Dancing Like A White Girl"? PLEASE TELL ME THEY DO!

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

To me it seemed that one form of music was the top dog, and then it was replaced by another, which is normal, though It was nice to have something other than pre-fab pop bands.

And It really did feel like it changed over night.

And no, I'm not saying that they're the same, but when a musical style is popular because of some really great bands, there's a lot of poo poo that gets shoveled out by record companies. How many people remember how many lovely Grunge bands there were?

thats the thing: it didn't change overnight, because they were both running in tandem with each other for a majority of time. I'm not saying that you're wrong because our opinions are different, I'm saying you're wrong because the facts aren't even correct.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Instrument question; what is the box that often electronic bands have. It's about the size of a drum pad, but it has about 12 buttons on it.

I've seen these being used by a lot of bands, but it seems little more than an odd shaped keyboard.

that what you're talking about, or something like it?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

trill rear end posted:

i use this thing.

yo peter jump on AIM

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

melee beats posted:

and i thought deadmou5's gimmick was bad...... I mean really??? A telephone???

for a second i didn't notice it was you and i was about to get sooooo mad

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Xesis posted:

Hah I'd like to know who the 19 year old producer from Charlotte is that surprised Aoki. Only dude here that I know of that has sent Aoki stuff that Aoki plays out is 31 years old and has his tracks ghostwritten.

names, naaaaaames!

also dont have on the dudes that are just north or south of 30 ;)

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Hammsturabi posted:

Really curious as to how that was a joke gift. "haha yes I can't wait to see his face when he gets this widely acclaimed album by a respected band!" Or did he hand it to you and say, "Learn some Manners!"

from the fact that he says its not "grim or frostbitten" I'm pretty sure he's into a style of music that incorporates corpsepaint and axes.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Kerk posted:

Just got my tickets for Ed Banger's 7th Birthday Party in NYC, February can't come soon enough.

Chromeo's new video for their single, Night by Night, is genius not to mention the song is incredibly catchy and groovy. Hands down best video of the year. Check it out if you haven't already.
http://www.vimeo.com/7983999

I think you actually mean the Eric Wareheim directed video for Major Lazer - Keep It Going Louder is the best video of the year http://vimeo.com/7652564

also it is basically my favorite single of the year and got slept on by nearly everyone because they were too busy stanning over "Pon De Floor"

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

MzKzM posted:

Don't know if this track really belongs here, but I have to post it somewhere. I've listened to it like 25 times the last week, it's amazing. Too bad nothing Hudson Mohawke has ever done comes close to this (best contender would be Overnight). Anybody got any recommendations along these lines? Apart from the Adult Swim remixes, that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfFhmszkTLQ

holy poo poo, is the whole Adult Swim thing like this, because this track is loving horrible. it's pretty much the definition of "Not getting it".

"hey guys, lets just throw it all in a stand up mixer and hope it comes out ok!"

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

oh FYI i was talking to the Jokers Of The Scene boys at their monthly last friday and it looks like full album coming out by summer.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Molotov Yogurt posted:

They played 'Revolting Joks' on Jaymo and Andy George's show a few weeks ago; loving banging. Can't even find a youtube of it online though :(

the only thing i will EVER namedrop over is the fact that I've known the boys for years (Linus used to sell me records when he owned organized sound, and Chris and I have been bumpin' into each other at shows since forever), and that i get handed their poo poo SUPER early.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Slackerish posted:

Is a Wolfgang Gartner set worth a 3-hour roadtrip and ~$20?

turn on 4 metronomes in different area's of your apartment and get 4 of your friends to run around going "ARRROOOOWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWOOONGGGGGGGAAANNNNGGAAAANNNGNGGGGGG"

it's about the same experience without being out 20 bucks.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

basically anyone who defines their favorite genre as "bangin' house", "bangin' trance", or "bangin' electro" is best avoided, as well as the dude who comes up to me at gigs and tries to school me on a 4 year old track like he's in the know. seriously, gently caress that dude.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

vossi posted:

OH GOD NO sorry that we insult your precious artsy music and want stuff to have fun to ...

oh please, I'm probably the biggest "this poo poo is for dancing", "cut the pretentious bullshit" dude in this thread, and that track loving rules. it's a ballsy move to have a track thats two thirds jacked up whine and good on him for doing it.

But hey, i bet if danger did it with a sample from Metroid this thread would be jizzing all over it's own loving chest.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

vossi posted:

I don't have to have bangers all the time and I get that there is more to this genre than laying hover over every loving song and making a strong bassline but the post came off as extremely "my music > your music" pretentious.

was less about the sebastiAn track which is pretty ok overall and more about the Deadmau5 (again - seriously?) rant.

anyway .. where's the love for I love animals by soulwax/crookers/mixhell. absolutely fantastic and everytime I randomly get the song on the way to work I want to go out and dance. There's a Roisin Murphy collaboration coming up, can't wait to hear it.

well, he is right about that. I'm getting sick and tired of dudes coming up to me at gigs i'm playing and trying to drop knowledge like a pro on me or other dudes who have been at this forever when their understanding of this poo poo started at Cross.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

LE0N posted:

Do people really do this on nights out? like im being serious here, i'd understand it on the internet because...well its on the internet but i cant understand why they would be so pretentious in a club or at a gig?

Maybe its different in the uk (im assuming your from the US)? or maybe i just haven't seen it (thank god).

My musical knowledge only really extends to "hey, this is a cool track" when im out and that's it

I'm from Canada, and if i duck out for a smoke i always get some dude following me out and doing this poo poo.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

incoherent posted:

Just in case people forget, the gucci mixtape is available

http://maddecent.com/freegucci/

this is pretty much one of my favorite things of the last 6 months.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Man vs Child posted:

Here's the direct link to the Gucci mixtape because signing up for poo poo is stupid: http://s3.amazonaws.com/mad_decent/Gucci_mixtape.zip

gently caress that. this is actually worth signing up for. i maybe get one MD email a month.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

These are both pretty much terrible.

ahahaha you're kidding right? that South Rakkas tape is loving awesome.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

Nope, sounded like the same lovely rap poo poo they play on the radio. I actually think it was probably the farthest thing from house/electro in this thread.

It seems like you kinda miss the point of these (loosly grouped) genre's. Also saying that Hip Hop style remixes dont belong in a thread about Electro is quite possibly the funniest thing ive read all day.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

Hey guys I went back to listen to it since you were all making it clear I was wrong, but poo poo, it's still terrible.

I didn't know that electro had been changed to meaning "rapping and yelling over chip tunes and sound effects" but ok.

hey just an FYI, when people with a deeper and wider knowledge base than you go "by the way, you're wrong", it's usually best to ask why and to you know, LISTEN, instead of just coming back with the same stupid opinion.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

You guys are awfully butthurt that I don't like a loving mix.

"butthurt"? what are you, 14?

it's not about you not liking a mix, it's about the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT ELECTRO USED TO MEAN!

It's not about you not liking a mix, it's about you hating it for the most lame, uninformed reasons. I'm no South Rakkas stan at all, but you can't just say that kinda poo poo about electro. It makes you a newjack gently caress.

You have to be trolling. That's like "I didn't know techno used to be so spooky" or that drum and bass utilized breaks. Or that dancehall uses weird electronic sounds. It all speaks to how hilariously unexposed you are to huge genres that have been around for multiple decades.

You can be a carefree candy kid teenager/basement dweller with no cares about history or even having a desire to be exposed to really cool music you're dismissing out of hand. You can go on listening to all the corporate rave electrohouse you want. But you don't have to be so snarky about it. You don't have to be a complete nerd about music to know these basic facts.

I mean, you are fronting on Afrika Bambaataa, dude. Do you have any idea of how sacrilegious that is to anyone who enjoys the music of the last 30 years?

(You also talked about radio rap disparagingly, which is the first sign of being way too goony to be taken seriously.)

hey man, didn't you know, This RADIO RAP poo poo has no place with the true UNDERGROUND stuff

*turns on BBC1 at peak time on a friday*

*hears fake blood*

ah yes, the TRUE underground.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

What in the gently caress? I didn't write off the whole genre. Jesus, I make a one off remark describing the sound of a mix and now it's being implied that I must think that about every single thing I listen to.

this is what proves you know poo poo all about the genre, and should keep your bad opinions to yourself:

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

Hey guys I went back to listen to it since you were all making it clear I was wrong, but poo poo, it's still terrible.

I didn't know that electro had been changed to meaning "rapping and yelling over chip tunes and sound effects" but ok.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

sonicice posted:

Personally I think your opinions are poo poo so maybe you should keep them to yourself. See how that works? Your elitist attitude constantly makes this thread, and the last thread complete garbage to read most of the time. Not everybody has the same musical tastes as you, and you shouldn't expect them to or try to force it down their throat. BUT IM A DJ AND PEOPLE COME UP TO ME AT CLUBS HEH

it's not a difference of opinion when it's just factually wrong.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Man vs Child posted:

Aww dang you fell in to one of my phiz traps, that mix was intentionally mixed awfully and the track selection is godawful. It gets them riled up in the phiz DJ thread.

However here's some newer actual mixes of mine for you to hear, with actual skills applied: http://www.mediafire.com/?mumzj1jjn0y or http://www.mediafire.com/?he4nrk2z2kl

this is like, the most tired saving throw around. you cant make poo poo then expect to back it up with "lol kidding!" later.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Regression posted:

- what I like is "deep house", generally slower songs I guess, more intense-sounding, melancholic, songs also for "chilling" and not just dancing, something like that.

maybe it has something to do with Tempo. ever thought of Jacques Renault?

http://www.jacquesrenault.com/
http://www.myspace.com/jacquesrenault
http://rcrdlbl.com/artists/Jacques_Renault/music (i especially recommend the track free for DL here called "Magic Games". This track is pretty much one of the best examples of the genre)

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Lysis posted:

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. The constant mashing together of sounds is appropriate for discussion of the electronic/dance music scene, and if we had a bunch of narrow genre'd threads, they would flood nmd and then die from underpopulation. Plus we would never have these entertaining arguments. There should probably be an electro-pop thread though.

tell that to the dudes going "Someone (c)rapped on my BlogHouse!" in this thread.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Regression posted:

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, Threatis and Hammsturabi, I'm sampling those and so far I'm very pleased. Keep 'em coming, please!

I've been wondering a bit why I like that kind of music. My own "background" is classic rock. I can see some similarities, though. I think this kind of house shares some qualities with psychedelic, "trippy", chant-like (for lack of better term) rock such as The Doors' "The End", The Velvet Underground's "Heroin", and much of early-to-mid Pink Floyd such as "Careful With That Axe, Eugene", in which for instance repetition is an important part, but only in order to create the atmosphere that is the true goal of the song. Of course, late Pink Floyd had some "disco"ish elements, and house (I gather) began in the same kind of places as disco did, so that's another connection...

now i may not have the right answer, but here's an idea:

This music is pretty much the definition of music meant for consumption and is produced in a way that is going to be enjoyable. Therefore, you like it.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

to be honest, i play the Chew Fu remix of "People Are Strange" out ALOT, but usually cut it in early or late because it can get boring and poo poo in some spots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VBHDondT8

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Muttonchop posted:

I am in no way an expert on this, but I think you'd like DJ P.O.L.Style, DJ Donna Summer, Rob Threezy and some other guys on Nightshifters.

Somebody correct me if my understanding of b-more is misinformed.

B-more DJ checking in. you're a bit off, but those are definitely good recommendations.

poo poo you're looking for:

- Unruly Records. In General. This is basically THE bmore label. It's ran by Scottie B who is in a lot of ways one of the dudes who was around in the beginning when Hip House et al got swallowed up in the baltimore club scene and became what we call Bmore Club.

M.I.A. - Paper Planes (Sottie B Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3A3ALppN8

- Top Billin'. These dudes from Finland OWN. they're not straight up bmore but they sure as poo poo spend alot of time in that neighborhood of music.

DJ Anonymous & Top Billin - Money To Burn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7D1k6c-z2M

start there and branch out. If anyone wants more poo poo on bmore, i can answer pretty much any question on it and would be happy too.

edit: and on the subject. EMYND. oh god Emynd. this guy is pretty much the realest dude around and anything he touches turns to gold. I booked him up here in ottawa and it was an absolute poo poo show. they guy rocked the loving room pretty much exclusively playing his own tracks. Get everything by him. If he comes within 100 miles of you, go see him.

Threatis fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 18, 2010

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

JimmyJazz posted:

coachella lineup is posted, bunch of cool electronic acts spread throughout of course

http://www.coachella.com/event/lineup

can SOMEONE please explain to me how in 2010, Tiesto is getting headliner over Major Lazer, 2manydj's, La Roux, Little Boots, Fly-Lo, Hot Chip, and Erol Alkan.

like i'll even concede the fact that JOEL ZIMMERMAN in a Styrofoam mouse head should be a full notches higher. gently caress, even the borefest that is Wolfgang should be a few notches up.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

PS. anyone heard the Major Lazer - Keep It Goin Louder (Kuts Surfs Up Remix)?

this thing seriously kicks sooooo much rear end.

http://sofreshsokids.blogspot.com/2010/01/keep-it-goin-louder-kuts-surfs-up-re.html

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Can someone recommend some more stuff like that South Rakkas crew mix? I don't really know what genre I'm searching for here?

you're lookin for Dancehall inspired stuff.

Check out:

Toddla T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYYfPS3S438

Major Lazer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hazxaByvRmc

Ghislain Poirier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZpxsQoADrc

Dre Skull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRi5-xVTTBQ

edit: and while not exactly like it, but still holding alot of stylistic similarities:

Douster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsZAkgwKV0w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giXDt3ceaN4 (I'm down with anything that samples "King Of Africa")

Threatis fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Cheers, I'll check those out. I've obviously heard of major lazer before, and I kinda figured it might be dancehall I"m looking for, but nowhere like turntablelabs or beatport have that as a genre!
I'll do some more searching.

there's a bit of a disconnect between "legit" dancehall and this stuff, but you should delve into more straight up Dancehall stuff because it's pretty much loving amazing.