Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

quote:

pipes!note

If you are looking to plug your project and get funding from all the deep-pocketed dorks out there in goonland, post it here. Put a little effort into your post. This should be obvious, but you should explain what your project is, why others should care enough to give you money, etc. Think of it as self-promotion that also isn't shitposting!

If possible, keep it on Kickstarter - they have an excellent system for keeping both sides of the equation honest. As with the Work for Hire/Freelance & Non SA Contests thread, this thread only serves as a contact facilitator and Problems with payment/services rendered are not Something Awful LLC's problem.

If you have any questions or concerns, please direct any questions to me, and not ExtraNoise, as I'm the one changing the direction of the thread. Original post follows:

:siren: Goon Projects! :siren:
Kick a buck or two to these guys.

Jay Tholen to record Sermon; his first studio LP. Avant-Pop with a pinch of Zeuhl.

Life in the Rust Belt - A Story of Decay in Photography

Successful Goon Projects of the past
Because we can do this too and these are proof

Project: Death Race - Full Beta Release

Saving a Piece of 1972 - This is mine :)

:siren: Got a project you want pimped here? :siren:
Just post in the thread. Or if you want to keep your name (listed on Kickstarter) anonymous with your forum's account, just PM me and I'll be happy to keep it a secret.

Alright, so I searched high and low through this forum for anything relating to Kickstarter and turned up nothing. I was just introduced to this website today and I am absolutely blown away at its potential. I'm hoping I didn't overlook something (I even checked GBS)

http://www.kickstarter.com/

From the website:

quote:

Kickstarter is focused on creative ideas and ambitious endeavors. We're a great way for artists, filmmakers, musicians, designers, writers, athletes, adventurers, illustrators, explorers, curators, promoters, performers, and others to bring their projects, events, and dreams to life.

We know there are a lot of great projects that fall outside of our scope, but Kickstarter is not really for soliciting donations for causes, general business expenses, or raising funds without a specific goal.

It's a lot like those other "give me money to help me do so-and-so thing" websites out there, except it has a focus on creative efforts. Instead of paying your donators back when your new business becomes awesome, you do creative things based on how much a specific donator has donated to your cause.

For example, you might send someone a personalized postcard for a $5 donation, but might travel to someone's house and play an acoustic rendition of Stairway to Heaven in the donator's living room if they donate $1,000. It appears to be all up to you.

I can immediately think of three or four things I'd love to give this a try with, and I thought everyone here might be interested too. The only catch is you have to get an invite to actually start a project. Does anyone here have an account with invites? Please oh please someone here have one!

At the very least it looks like a LOT of fun to see other people succeed in their creative efforts. There's tons of bands looking to make their first EPs or people wanting to hike all over the country. It looks completely open-ended for any type of project. It a project doesn't meet its requested financial goal, then no one is charged and everyone goes home. It's interesting to see under the "most popular" sections what projects are getting more than 100% of their funding and which ones are falling on their faces.

Tips & Tricks
I'll be expanding this section as this thread continues to grow.

There's a bunch of things you can do to keep your project fresh and building donations. Here's a quick list of the best techniques:

- Offer a lot of different incentives, not just two or three.

- In may seem counter-intuitive, but a minimum donation amount of $1 is a good way to get more donations in many cases.

- Use Twitter to broadcast your project. Make sure to include the @kickstarter tag in the tweet so that the folks at Kickstarter see your updates!

- Don't rely on Kickstarter solely! Talk about your project with friends, family, and coworkers

- Be enthusiastic in your project description and updates -- other people want to see you care a lot about it before they donate

- Update often! This not only attracts new donators, but it reinforces current donators (and they may raise their donations) and helps attract the eye of the Kickstarter community

- Use this thread to promote!

Edit: :siren: I am all out of invites! Now that we've got about a dozen goons signed up with invites, just post in this thread and I'm sure one of them will send you one to start your dreams.

Many thanks to John Adams. :)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I was talking about this with someone the other day as a way to fund ideas for large production photo shoots. Seems like you could do an estimate like you would for a client, post it on there, and then give prints of the final image on a size sliding scale relative to how much people donated.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!
This looks fantastic. I would very much like an invite as well if anyone has an account with invites...

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

I'm all outta invites!

downfall fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 16, 2010

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

downfall posted:

I have 5 invites.

E-mail me (I don't have PM) - nickgatens AT gmail DOT com if you want one (and include your forum name, so I know they're going to someone who actually wants them) - they will be first come, first serve.

Emailed! Thanks so much! If I get any invites, I'll give them out in this thread as well.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

downfall posted:

I have 5 invites.

E-mail me (I don't have PM) - nickgatens AT gmail DOT com if you want one (and include your forum name, so I know they're going to someone who actually wants them) - they will be first come, first serve.

Email sent, thanks in advance.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

I AM OUT OF INVITES!

Everyone that I have sent invites out to has gotten 5 invites! Please spread the love and come back to the thread and allow other goons to contact you for invites!

Marxist Glue fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 20, 2009

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

I'm still trying to decide what I actually want to do as it relates to a project on Kickstarter even though I've been a member for 6 or 7 months now. I've been tossing around a ton of ideas and looking at everything that's been done on there recently, and it looks like your options are basically only limited to your creativity - and to a certain extent, your ability to sell yourself/your idea.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

downfall posted:

I'm still trying to decide what I actually want to do as it relates to a project on Kickstarter even though I've been a member for 6 or 7 months now. I've been tossing around a ton of ideas and looking at everything that's been done on there recently, and it looks like your options are basically only limited to your creativity - and to a certain extent, your ability to sell yourself/your idea.

Yeah, that's what I was noticing when I was browsing the site. I figure I might as well develop a project and see what happens. If nothing else, this is kind of a cool way to see how other people view your ideas in one of the most honest ways possible - by literally putting their money where their mouth's are.

esteimle
Jan 3, 2010
I'd love to get an invite if anyone has one to spare. I've written and illustrated a children's book with a friend of mine but we've never been able to raise the money to get it printed and put on amazon :) It's about a squirrel who starts a nut collecting company, and we've been working on it for a few years when we have time.

I'd be forever grateful if someone invited me.

Thanks!

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

During the school year, I work with a program that funds art projects for special needs students. I'm not sure exactly what I'd come up with yet, but I would love an invite because I'm sure I could use it for something.

edit: invite successfully received! :)

Anomalous Blowout fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 10, 2010

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Anomalous Blowout posted:

During the school year, I work with a program that funds art projects for special needs students. I'm not sure exactly what I'd come up with yet, but I would love an invite because I'm sure I could use it for something.

atlacoya at gmail, thanks! :)

Invite sent! Hope you can find an excellent use for Kickstarter and your students.

esteimle; what's your e-mail address?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'd like an invite if anyone has any.
thealterian at gmail

darwin
Jun 29, 2003

I'm a funder for the Designing Obama book. Don't know if you guys have seen that drama, but basically they promised that the funding would include shipping costs. When people ponied up their $50 or $100 donations, they were then asked to pay additional shipping of almost $20 domestic. It diluted into kind of a clusterfuck and I still don't know what the outcome is going to be.

Left a real bad taste in my mouth.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Alterian posted:

I'd like an invite if anyone has any.

Sent!

darwin posted:

I'm a funder for the Designing Obama book. Don't know if you guys have seen that drama, but basically they promised that the funding would include shipping costs. When people ponied up their $50 or $100 donations, they were then asked to pay additional shipping of almost $20 domestic. It diluted into kind of a clusterfuck and I still don't know what the outcome is going to be.

Left a real bad taste in my mouth.

I only heard a little about that whole thing. Sounds like it was really a failure on the fundraiser's part and he should live up to what he promised. I looked over Kickstarter's policy though and it looks like he doesn't really have to. What a dick move on his part. To be honest, I don't think there's anything Kickstarter can do other than ban his account.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Holy crap that's a fabulous idea. Do you still have invites? I'd like one. I can't help but wonder if this could help me actually do more things creatively.

Lord only knows what I'll do first, but whatevz. I'll figure that out later.

I'm sewage flavored.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Holy crap that's a fabulous idea. Do you still have invites? I'd like one. I can't help but wonder if this could help me actually do more things creatively.

Lord only knows what I'll do first, but whatevz. I'll figure that out later.

I would like to, after my first project, start my own game by using the money to pay a programmer. I'll be able to provide art and direction. And it will be glorious. (Low-budget glorious, but glorious nonetheless.)

What's your e-mail? I still have two invites.

Edit: vv Sent! Think of something great, and have fun!

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 6, 2010

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
toxicslurpee@gmail.com

A game, huh? Are you saying MMO or just regular computer gaming?

Thank ye for the invite, now to decide what to DO with it. Art, game, music...I have too many interests.

I'm sewage flavored.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
If you only have one invite left I'd love to snatch it up!

I'm the graphic designer at a small company, and we're talking about making a new company in which I'll be partnered, and share profits! Naturally I'm going to save and put more money in the stock market until I can make my own entertainment company (movies and games), but yea long story short, could i get one pretty please?

zach . spradlin@gmail . com

Edit, If theres only one left, give it to the guy below me

RizieN fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 6, 2010

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
Anyone have an invite left? pdriggett@gmail

I own an independent game company that is working on its first title and this could be just the thing we need.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

ODC, did you get an invite? Kickstarter is bitching at me about you already being a creator?

I love reading your posts in the game developer's thread, so it would be an honor to help with your new startup. One day I'm hoping to follow in your shoes and I plan to use Kickstarter to do it.

Rizie, if ODC confirms that he is joined up, I'll save my invite and send it your way. :)

Edit: vvv Well then, we've got quite a little Goon Kickstarter community forming. :3:

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 7, 2010

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Someone sent me one, and now I have 5 invites myself. Thanks Mr. Elliot!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I would love an invite. I'm getting a video production company off the ground and jesus christ I have fifteen projects and no money. In fact I think they're gonna cut off the power to my building I think they're outside right no

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
Please invite me! I have an idea I want to use this for.

EDIT: I have received an invite. Thank you! Now I have five to give. :)

GreatJob fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 7, 2010

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

ODC, did you get an invite? Kickstarter is bitching at me about you already being a creator?

I love reading your posts in the game developer's thread, so it would be an honor to help with your new startup. One day I'm hoping to follow in your shoes and I plan to use Kickstarter to do it.

Rizie, if ODC confirms that he is joined up, I'll save my invite and send it your way. :)

Edit: vvv Well then, we've got quite a little Goon Kickstarter community forming. :3:

I got one, thank you.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

RizieN posted:

Someone sent me one, and now I have 5 invites myself. Thanks Mr. Elliot!

AW YEA THANKS FOR THE INVITE hollahollahollahollahollahollahollahollaholla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5YyvW1Kk7Q

HolePisser1982 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 8, 2010

antiloquax
Feb 23, 2008

by Ozma

RizieN posted:

Thanks Mr. Elliot!

Two Ts.

This looks like it could potentially be pretty cook. I think the fact that you offer incentives makes it all the better.

I'm also looking into a production company of sorts.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Could I get an invite to this? I'm tired of doing nothing. Email should be in my SA profile.
Edit: If not it's Standard_Scroll (at) gmail (dot) com

\/\/\/\/\/ I could still use one

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 9, 2010

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009
If anyone has any invites left, I'd love do get one!
sammybarrett1@gmail.com

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks "Rick" for the invite, thanks a lot. I have 4 left if people want any. This looks genuinely useful.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
o rite my email is telefishopolis@gmail.com

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
can anyone spare an invite for i_kno_damaj_braen@hotmail.com?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Has anyone started a project yet?

I'm still polishing off the video for mine. I'm pretty nervous about starting it since it's more of a personal project and less "let's save all the starving children in Africa" sort of thing. I'm hoping it garners a backing the same way that people wanting to take overseas trips does.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

antiloquax posted:

Two Ts.

This looks like it could potentially be pretty cook. I think the fact that you offer incentives makes it all the better.

I'm also looking into a production company of sorts.

My apologies sir.

Catfishenfuego posted:

can anyone spare an invite for i_kno_damaj_braen@hotmail.com?

Sent.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I still haven't gotten one yet, anyone have any left?

edit: thank you \/\/

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 10, 2010

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
sent one your way too, Cheap Shot

SmokedSquid
Dec 20, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

o rite my email is telefishopolis@gmail.com

ping ping big boy an invite is on its way

GrazoTheClown