Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Hey everyone, theater goon here asking for donations for my new play, BOUDIKKA: The Warrior Queen.

For those of you who don't know the story: it's the first century A.D., the Roman Empire is colonizing and taking over Britain, and the Celtic tribes there are getting taxed and oppressed and such. The queen of one of the tribes, Boudicca, is raising her daughters to be queens, and things are going sorta well -- until the Roman authorities decide to tear up their peace treaty, occupy the lands and turn people out of their homes. Boudicca and her daughters resist. Big mistake. Boudicca is flogged and her daughters are gang-raped. Vowing revenge, the queen raises an army and leads a huge rebellion against the Roman occupation.

True story, too. There's going to be war chants, fighting, live drums and flutes, and an electronic soundtrack to boot! It's going up for a limited four-night engagement at the Salvage Vanguard Theater here in Austin, TX.

The goal is $500, but the more money we raise, the better quality costumes we can get, the more we can pay the actors and crew, and the more alcohol we can provide for the audience! Rewards include free tickets, free drinks, props from the show, an autographed poster, and for those who donate $200 or more -- we will literally worship you as a god onstage in front of the audience on closing night!

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Hey everyone, I posted my project about a week and a half ago, and so far it's been really, really dry, despite the fact that we're only looking for $500 in donations. Anyone have any suggestions for inspiring people to donate?

For reference, the link is here.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

I'm marketing it mainly to people who know those involved, since those are the people most likely to see it. Many of the rewards have directly to do with seeing the show (reduced-price tickets, free drinks, etc).

Also the people who know the actors and crew are most likely to want to support them and donate. But we're almost there, and I'm confident that at this point it's mostly people saying "I wanna donate, but I don't feel like it right now." When it gets down to the line, I'm sure some more people will throw in a few bucks.

But while I would like to do a video, I don't know if it would be worth it at this point. I mean, with a week left, is a video really going to make that much of a difference? I know I should have done one before, as in when it started, but at this point I don't know if there's enough time to sway people.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

I'm a writer/director working in Austin, TX, and I'm shooting a minimalist, retro-futuristic science fiction short film next month, tentatively called Future Night

What makes it unique? The art direction is all based on what the 1980s thought the future would be like. Mohawks, leather, shoulder pads, floppy discs, computer terminals with little green scrolling letters, the works.

Another thing that makes it unique is the fact that the main character is a lesbian, and the main relationship is a gay romance between her and another woman. Much more interesting than the old young-man-meets-young-woman routine. Plus, how often are gays represented in science fiction films?

This should be a fun project for everyone involved, most of us being students affiliated with UT Austin. Expect a kick-rear end soundtrack as well.

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 10, 2012

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

We're about 18 days away from our deadline for "FUTURE NIGHT" a minimalist sci-fi film, and we're really aching for donations. Link here: https://www.indiegogo.com/futurenight

It's basically a love story between a lesbian cyborg computer hacker and a punk rock princess in a 1980s-style future, where it's always nighttime and everyone listens to synthwave and heavy metal.

Here are some concept photos (also found on the link):

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

Darthemed posted:

I like the look of your film (kind of a Liquid Sky vibe going on) but I'm curious about whether you've considered running a Kickstarter drive as well, since it seems like they tend to draw a bit more cash than IndieGogo drives.

I didn't want to spread too thin and try to sell the idea on two different platforms. My fear is that I'll exhaust people on the idea. We've only had three contributors, which is a start, but I'm just not sure if it'd be a waste of time to do Kickstarter as well, especially with so little time left.

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 4, 2012

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

We're less than a day away from reaching our goal for our 80s sci fi drama "Future Night" and we've cut some footage from our first night of shooting into a teaser of sorts. You can check it out here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKX64rsxeVQ

We even had some people, total strangers, wander by the set tonight and they were pretty impressed with what they saw and said they'd donate. Will they? Can never tell with drunk strangers.

Interested? You can check out the donation page here. Again, we're about to hit our deadline, and we'd really appreciate some support, even just in the form of sharing the link with your friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

I'm an Austin-based film and theater director, and we're trying to raise some funds to help us produce an original play, called "Freedom Fighter," based on the story of David Fagen, an African-American soldier who defected to the enemy side during the Philippines War.

We're looking to raise $1,000. The whole show is going to cost much more than that, but we're just looking to offset the financial burden of producing this play, which will include video projections, music, dance, and period costumes.

We can't offer rewards like trinkets and props from the set, since most of our stuff will be rented, and since it's a play we can't email a DVD to anyone, but we offer posters, high-quality promo photos, tickets to the show and invitations to the cast party (for anyone who lives in Austin.)

We've got a video on our KickStarter page featuring a sneak-peek of one of the monologues from the show: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2057421757/freedom-fighter-a-new-play