Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
M for Method, and Children of Sol

What’s this all about?

M for Method is a development group. At the moment we are doing all work on our own time and money. Children of Sol is the property we are working on developing.

So what’s Children of Sol about?

Valentine Obasuyi, M for Method Founder posted:

Essentially, it is a deep, immersive universe set in the distant future featuring complex characters, a compelling narrative and intensely brilliant visual fidelity. The goal of Children of Sol is to provide a story that not only invites viewers to read or watch, but to interact with, decide, and feature within, in a way unique to any other science fiction franchise past and current.

I’m going to need a bit more than that!

Fair enough. To try and put it better, Children of Sol is about humankind 50,000 years in the future, when our race has diverged along two main paths. It picks up when those two paths meet again, and explores the tensions that result. But it’s also about what it means to be human, especially in the face of massive technological and social paradigm shifts, and the conflicts that result.

Feel free to browse the introduction to the universe on the Children of Sol development wiki to get a more detailed explanation.

Fine, fine. So what are you telling us all this for?

Well, Children of Sol is still in development. We have a browser game, called Sojourner, and an art book/short story collection, called War in Hypercolour, both in production, as well as some other things for the future. And we could use some help on them. We would appreciate the assistance of anyone short of an interpretive dancer.

However, before I get any further into who we need, I must say right now that all of this would be pro bono. Everyone currently working on this is essentially doing so in their spare time, and anyone else who is willing to help out would have to do the same. If things work out and we turn a profit, then of course there would be things like retroactive commissions and shares. But, as of right now those cannot be promised and should not be expected. I repeat, this project is pro bono at the moment and will continue to remain so for the foreseeable future.

Now, with that out of the way, I’ll get into who we need and why. Ruby on Rails developers are a big priority at the moment. That’s the language Sojourner runs on. We’re getting the framework on things like database schemas and unit testing down, but there’s still some work to go. If you have proficiency with that, we can find a use for it.

We also need artists. Children of Sol is very big on the visuals, as demonstrated by these bits of art here:

But we’re always looking for other artists to help ease the workload. Character artists would actually be nice at the moment, but we’ll try to find a use for you no matter what you’re good at.

And lastly, we need writers. As of right now there are two writers involved in Children of Sol. One is the founder, the other is me. That’s not really enough people to get a collection of short stories ready, especially since one of us is already doing other stuff in relation to the project. So if you have an interest in writing science fiction, come on over and see if you like what we have.

Anything else?

If you guys have any questions related to the project, I’ll certainly do my best to answer them. I’m excited about this, and am putting a considerable amount of time and effort into it, so I’m more than willing to talk with others about it. If you want to go and check out our development forums, head on over to M for Method. That all being said, thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU